[VIDEO] Shanny Talks HC Interview Process

Sponge

I said it in another thread I think Kyle really understands what it takes to make a great offense and he has worked with some quarter backs to make them more successful. He sounds like he really understands what he has here in Atlanta and what he would be giving up if he left. If anything I think he waits one more year before taking off, which could potentially drive his number up. The teams available for him to move into are not that interesting unless he is ok with complete rebuilding projects excluding Denver. If he does not take the Denver job I dont think he leaves. 

Edited by SPITFIRE

Two things that tell me what's on his mind. 

1. When asked about going to be an HC, he paused, eyes kinda moved around and started moving side to side. - That tells me he's pretty happy and leaving would be uncomfortable. 

2. He lit up when talking about how happy he and his family are in Atl. 

He's finally seeing his vision come to life and I think he's happier in all respects than he's been in a while. If he moves on it will be because it's what he thinks he should do. If he moves on the decision will be made with his head and not his heart, a heart which seems to be telling him to stay. 

12 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

I said it in another thread I think Kyle really understands what it takes to make a great offense and he has worked with some quarter backs to make them more successful. He sounds like he really understands what he has here in Atlanta and what he would be giving up if he left. If anything I think he waits one more year before taking off, which could potentially drive his number up. The teams available for him to move into are not that interesting unless he is ok with complete rebuilding projects excluding Denver. If he does not take the Denver job I dont think he leaves. 

If he waits a year he could have POSSIBLY openings in Indy, N.O. (Puke), Az, Chicago, Det, NYJ, Hou.. 

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Every assistant coach's dream is to someday be a head coach.

Yes but is it every assistant coach's dream to inherit a **** storm? I think there is a distinct difference in wanting to be a head coach by any means and wanting to be a successful head coach. 

57 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

I said it in another thread I think Kyle really understands what it takes to make a great offense and he has worked with some quarter backs to make them more successful. He sounds like he really understands what he has here in Atlanta and what he would be giving up if he left. If anything I think he waits one more year before taking off, which could potentially drive his number up. The teams available for him to move into are not that interesting unless he is ok with complete rebuilding projects excluding Denver. If he does not take the Denver job I dont think he leaves

6 minutes ago, TheFalcoholic said:

The Denver Broncos will be successful again very soon. 

46 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

Yes but is it every assistant coach's dream to inherit a **** storm? I think there is a distinct difference in wanting to be a head coach by any means and wanting to be a successful head coach. 

With all due respect....Other than the unusually  rare occasion of a non-football personal matter such as Denver's coach Kubiak or former steelers coach Bill Cowher...all head coach openings, by their very nature,  are caused by and therefore resulting in the new coach inheriting some sort of a sh!t-storm.

if Shanny is waiting on the perfect HC opening that guarantees him success, it's just never gonna happen. And he knows this better than any of us fans think we do, he wants to prove he's something more than just his successful father's son coaching in the NFL. 

Walsh took a woeful 49ers team...Belichick took dysfunctional Cleveland....Chuck Noll took chronic losers Pittsburgh, Tom Landry took expansion cowboys,  Bobby Cox took the horrible Atlanta braves ....

Shanny will take the head coaching job that feels right in his gut. And with all due respect, nobody here or in the media has any clue which one that will end up being. 

Edited by Vandy

54 minutes ago, fuego said:

You guys keep trying to talk yourself into that he's staying. He's gone. 

he did say he is very happy here, as is his family, and that answer when the guy to his right asked "would you take any job"   was a pretty definite NO, LOL

Ok, so I'll go ahead and say, I've made it well known that I was against hiring him, that I didn't like him. But this video is the absolute best one I've seen him do. To acknowledge and admit what he went through in Washington, along with putting to rest the 'he's stubborn and obstinate' and why that isn't the case has me rethinking myself a good bit here

@JDaveG just wanted to make sure you saw that for yourself and wouldn't have to rely on rumors ;)

:lol:

I think the Broncos gig kind of complicates it. He has an obvious connection to Elway through his dad, and it's the only organization where the baggage of his father being involved isn't an issue. 

I didn't think he'd leave until then. He still was under the shadow of Cleveland, and Washington.

I think he needs to build more of a resume, and a foundation. He's had successes in Houston and Washington, but limited. I think he needs to at least get this team to the Super Bowl to really be free of the baggage that would hamper his chances.

I still think he should wait a couple more seasons to show he can stay somewhere and succeed, and build a lasting scheme. If long term legacy is important to him, I think having that foundation is best. Norv Turner had a very mixed career as a head coach, but he will always be considered a great coach and have a legacy because of his career as an OC. 

I think we saw Josh McDaniels as a good template for Shanahan to be wary of. I think he's aware of that going by that video. It's taken McDaniels years to reestablish a reputation, and success as an OC did. Ironic that it was Denver that killed his rep until Belichick took him in.

22 minutes ago, Vandy said:

With all due respect....Other than the unusually  rare occasion of a non-football personal matter such as Denver's coach Kubiak or former steelers coach Bill Cowher...all head coach openings, by their very nature,  are caused by and therefore resulting in the new coach inheriting some sort of a sh!t-storm.

if Shanny is waiting on the HC opening that guarantees him success, it's just never gonna happen. And he knows this better than any of us fans think we do. 

Tell that to Dan Quinn. Good situations become available, coaches just have to wait for them. But the sad story is of all 6 head coach openings this season, only Denver will return to relevance soon, and possibly the Rams depending on Goff's development. Because none of the others have a solid QB or a young QB with development potential. And there aren't any sure-fire top QB's in the draft this year.  

3 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Tell that to Dan Quinn. Good situations become available, coaches just have to wait for them. But the sad story is of all 6 head coach openings this season, only Denver will return to relevance soon, and possibly the Rams depending on Goff's development. Because none of the others have a solid QB or a young QB with development potential. And there aren't any sure-fire top QB's in the draft this year.  

I think even Dan would tell you he got lucky with both Falcons having a QB in his prime and the fact Blank was willing to wait on him. He could have just as easily ended up in a ****-hole like Jacksonville  as his predecessor did. And for a defensive guy, our cubbard defensively was pretty bare, so it was not a perfect scenario for him either where a lot of things on drafting defensive players had to go perfectly right. To his/TD's credit, they have so far.

The usual case on a coach opening is there is some huge dysfunctional aspect within  the team and especially at QB, such as LA/San Fran/Jax et al....Even Denver is interestingly complex thing for an OC guy like Shanny (exact opposite of Quinn's situation here) because they have a great D, but they also have a lot of problems on offense and especially at QB, and in fact may not even have a QB on that roster who can take them where they want to go. 

A lot of folks here and in media thought buffalo and their defense was a perfect job for Rex, I bet he did too.....same for Todd Bowles with jets....Folks thought NE hot-shot (at the tine) OC Josh McDaniel and Denver broncos were the perfect marriage, while few predicted Adam Gase would have the immediate success he's had in Miami....you yourself predicted utter disaster for Mike Mularkey and QB Mariota in Tennessee. 

There's no such thing as a perfect job. Most success stories in coaching are like the part of my post you didn't copy....Walsh/Noll/Landry/Jimmy Johnson et al....coaches who came in and took a big mess and built it into something. Mike Smith did that here, and there was no more dysfunctional mess (at least in the media's eyes) at the time than Atlanta's.

So much depends ...more so than current personnel.... on the chemistry and same page philosophy of management between coach/GM/ownership. For example: Maybe the SF knucklehead owners have learned their lesson, and if they have it would not shock me to see a Shanny or some other top young asst coach take the San Fran job if they brought on a Top notch GM guy.  San Fran may be lacking in current player talent, but they have a great fan base, history, facilities, cap space and future draft picks etc  etc that is attractive if they fix their crazy management team issues. Get management right first, the right  personnel will eventually get there. Same for LA, even Cleveland could change their fortunes rapidly if they ever get management fixed. 

As far as "sure-fire Top QB" coming out of college, Joe Montana sure wasn't thought of as one when he came ino NFL....neither was Roger Staubach....****, Jimmy Johnson drafted Steve Walsh because he was unsure about Troy Aikman. Again, more important than existing personnel is the management team's chemistry and  plan to turn it all around. 

Edited by Vandy