A Perfect (rugby) Tackle... An Ode To My Falcon Brother kiwifalcon

A couple weeks ago @kiwifalcon and I got into a discussion about the intricacies of the perfect form tackle and the positioning of the head.  The particular play we were talking about was the hit by Jalen Collins on a screen.  I contended that because of the angle and the fact he had to run around a block, that you had to allow for the head to be in front of the receiver on contact.  Kiwi contended that he still could've/should've placed the head behind the receiver.

This was the play in question.

avCQp1.gif

Not sure we came to a consensus, but here it is, buddy... here it is in full speed, about the most perfect form tackle you will ever see in the open field courtesy of our very own Deion Jones.

The video speaks for itself.  Not a whole lot of commentary needed, but the Saints were in trips a lot of the day.  You can't just run straight Cover-3 vs. Trips.  You normally have to do some sort of split field coverage with man to the single receiver side and push the zone to the other.  Looks like that's what the Falcons were in here.  Looks kind of like a Skate coverage, the two linebackers push to the three receiver side where they were running all verticals.  Jalen matched Thomas to the single receiver side on the crosser, and well, you see what happened...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Is this how you like it, kiwi?  Would our Rugby bretheren be proud of this one?

giphy.gif

IMG_1722_zpssmllk2bb.jpg

On 1/5/2017 at 7:46 AM, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

A couple weeks ago @kiwifalcon and I got into a discussion about the intricacies of the perfect form tackle and the positioning of the head.  The particular play we were talking about was the hit by Jalen Collins on a screen.  I contended that because of the angle and the fact he had to run around a block, that you had to allow for the head to be in front of the receiver on contact.  Kiwi contended that he still could've/should've placed the head behind the receiver.

This was the play in question.

avCQp1.gif

Not sure we came to a consensus, but here it is, buddy... here it is in full speed, about the most perfect form tackle you will ever see in the open field courtesy of our very own Deion Jones.

The video speaks for itself.  Not a whole lot of commentary needed, but the Saints were in trips a lot of the day.  You can't just run straight Cover-3 vs. Trips.  You normally have to do some sort of split field coverage with man to the single receiver side and push the zone to the other.  Looks like that's what the Falcons were in here.  Looks kind of like a Skate coverage, the two linebackers push to the three receiver side where they were running all verticals.  Jalen matched Thomas to the single receiver side on the crosser, and well, you see what happened...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Is this how you like it, kiwi?  Would our Rugby bretheren be proud of this one?

giphy.gif

IMG_1722_zpssmllk2bb.jpg

PMF that's exactly how it should look like.

The key is letting the shoulder do all the work.Once the head is out of the way the shoulder is in on it for the most part the runner is going to the deck and the chance of getting hurt or your bell getting rung is also out of the equation.

In this tackle here I'm telling you now Jones probably knocked the air out of Thomas and you also notice the leverage he's hitting with coming up and knocking him sideways that's how it should look.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:23 AM, maorifalcon said:

That's pretty darn good for a yank. Fundamentally sound form there Debo. @kiwifalcon I think the biggest thing there for me is correct head placement. I always cringe at

1. Head placement

2. Tackling to high

3. Not wrapping

Keep up the good work and good to see ya recognising good form @PeytonMannings Forehead 

Bro we know it because that's how we were taught from a young age I'm not sure our bretheren were taught the same hence why we see tackling a bit different from our fellow Falcons fans.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Bro we know it because that's how we were taught from a young age I'm not sure our bretheren were taught the same hence why we see tackling a bit different from our fellow Falcons fans.

I like the knowledge from down under, and I appreciate the different perspectives.

Yeah, when I was first taught to tackle it was heads up, see what you hit.  But the emphasis back then wasn't so much on taking the head out of it like it is now.

Good to see this type of technique making its way into the game.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I like the knowledge from down under, and I appreciate the different perspectives.

Yeah, when I was first taught to tackle it was heads up, see what you hit.  But the emphasis back then wasn't so much on taking the head out of it like it is now.

If only the players listened, so many tackle head down. I don't know if you guys ever played bullrush but thats how most kiwi school kids cut their teeth. Atleast thats how it used to be before schools started wrapping kids in Cotton buds. @kiwifalcon I sure miss them days.

4 hours ago, maorifalcon said:

If only the players listened, so many tackle head down. I don't know if you guys ever played bullrush but thats how most kiwi school kids cut their teeth. Atleast thats how it used to be before schools started wrapping kids in Cotton buds. @kiwifalcon I sure miss them days.

LOL Bullrush yep that's how it started for me when I was a kid running round in the sawdust.Tell you what man it sure gave us a good grounding and a head start for sure.

4 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

PMF head up is a great point it keeps your back and neck straight and allows your shoulder and body to take the impact head down is dangerous and to be honest it's a neck injury waiting to happen.

7 hours ago, maorifalcon said:

So, kids are starting to get toilet paper soft in that part of the world, too?

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

LOL Bullrush yep that's how it started for me when I was a kid running round in the sawdust.Tell you what man it sure gave us a good grounding and a head start for sure.

I'm not familiar with bullrush.  Tell me more.  

7 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Not to switch up the topic - It looks like Jalen was following Thomas, then right as the ball is thrown he completely bails off of him. Was be following the man crossing into his zone (Thomas) then falling back into it once he left, and the throw was coincidental?

Yeah, I was thrown off by that too when I first saw the play.  

The Saints threw from Trips a lot of the day and you can't just play straight cover-3 when an offense in trips. You usually are going to go with some sort of split field coverage.  The Falcons play a lot of Cover-3 Mable where it's zone to the three receiver side with the corner playing man to the backside on the single receiver.  

That's what it looked like to me.  You can see where Jalen covers him on that drag like it's man, then peels off at the last second like he didn't know what the coverage was or thought he had the wrong assignment.

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

So, kids are starting to get toilet paper soft in that part of the world, too?

I'm not familiar with bullrush.  Tell me more.  

Yep correct kids are doing exactly that.

Bullrush is basically a game played in a marked area say 30 yards wide by about 50 yards in length.The idea of the game is to start with one guy out front and about say 10 on the by line and the guy out front picks 1 person and they have to attempt to burn round or over the guy out front as soon as the guy picks leaves the by line he can yell out bull rush then the others can attempt to run to the opposite by line.Then the guy out front can either continue to attempt to tackle the 1st guy chosen or go for anyone of the others trying to get to the opposite by line.

The secret of the game is to be the last man trying to run through or around the others who have been tackled they in turn join the original guy out front until there's no one left..

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yep correct kids are doing exactly that.

Bullrush is basically a game played in a marked area say 30 yards wide by about 50 yards in length.The idea of the game is to start with one guy out front and about say 10 on the by line and the guy out front picks 1 person and they have to attempt to burn round or over the guy out front as soon as the guy picks leaves the by line he can yell out bull rush then the others can attempt to run to the opposite by line.Then the guy out front can either continue to attempt to tackle the 1st guy chosen or go for anyone of the others trying to get to the opposite by line.

The secret of the game is to be the last man trying to run through or around the others who have been tackled they in turn join the original guy out front until there's no one left..

That is pretty much the game in a Nutshell there @PeytonMannings Forehead. Works wonders for open field tackling. 

Essentially 1 vs all, as that 1 tackles people they join the tackler. 

Here is the game 

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Aww man this is awesome.  We had something like this only when we played it in school it was with flags around our waste.  

We couldn't do the stupid stuff like playing tackle football in the middle of the street until we got out of school.

We use it for warm up still, If I were coaching a team here or there (US) i'd get the kids to play it. Its so much fun too.

12 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Aww man this is awesome.  We had something like this only when we played it in school it was with flags around our waste.  

We couldn't do the stupid stuff like playing tackle football in the middle of the street until we got out of school.

Well the flag stufff is the right idea though as the target area I see is around the hips.That to me really explains why the grabbing type of technique is prevelant in what I see with regards to tackling.If what you describe is a common occurrence for your youth well thats where the issue lies.

What they used to do with us is either use tackle bags or Bull rush that's how we learnt.

With bull rush being outlawed they now put padded suits on a guy and now  you end up tackling that person with the padded suit on.

Bullrush got banned because at the time WWF wrestling hit the scene and kids were instead of tackling people were adapting wrestling moves in there tackle technique and kids were getting hurt lol.So it got banned.

23 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Well the flag stufff is the right idea though as the target area I see is around the hips.That to me really explains why the grabbing type of technique is prevelant in what I see with regards to tackling.If what you describe is a common occurrence for your youth well thats where the issue lies.

What they used to do with us is either use tackle bags or Bull rush that's how we learnt.

With bull rush being outlawed they now put padded suits on a guy and now  you end up tackling that person with the padded suit on.

Bullrush got banned because at the time WWF wrestling hit the scene and kids were instead of tackling people were adapting wrestling moves in there tackle technique and kids were getting hurt lol.So it got banned.

Sounds like some foolishness we used to get into when I was kid.  

How I made it through my childhood with no broken bones with the stuff we used to do is a wonder.

12 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Sounds like some foolishness we used to get into when I was kid.  

How I made it through my childhood with no broken bones with the stuff we used to do is a wonder.

Mustn't have been going hard enough :lol: I want Quinn and the defensive coaches to spend winter here with one of the super rugby franchises. Bring Debo and Keke with him too

33 minutes ago, maorifalcon said:

Mustn't have been going hard enough :lol: I want Quinn and the defensive coaches to spend winter here with one of the super rugby franchises. Bring Debo and Keke with him too

I actually think those 2 actually get it.

For me Trufant Alford Allen could use a bit of work though.

See having a look at the Collins tackle he has time to get his head out of the way this is the key point.If you watch Collins complete the tackle watch what happens to Collins neck at the point of impact and then compare it to the Debo gif.Also looking at the Collins gif again he uses the wrong shoulder he should have used his left and by using the right basically leads his head into the wrong position.

Once your head is out of the way the shoulder takes the brunt of the force.This is what I'm trying to push here.If you continue to form tackle like Collins did your in for problems in the long haul wheather it be concussions or at worst CTE.Now I understand fans probably could care less but this is my contention here get it right consistently the above mentioned don't exist.