What does the future hold for Kyle Shanahan?

It's such a strange speculation, because you don't fully know what is important to him.  Personally I think Denver is the most likely destination.  But then again, who knows if he wants to step back into his fathers shadow? 

I could also see him with the Rams possibly.  I'd say that there's a 60% chance that he ends up with the Bronco's and a 40% chance he ends up with the Rams. 

If the colts fire pagano(not sure why they haven't yet) I think mcdaniels goes there.  I believe smitty will end up with the jaguars.   49ers are a dumpster fire and get the scraps.

Edited by abstract

I'm not sure where he will end up,probably Denver, but I will say this; I truly believe he will make a terrible head coach. He is a great XOs guy, brilliant, but there is so much more to being the head/face of an organization. The politics of it all, maintaining a healthy locker room, balancing energy and discipline, comraderie and respect.  I don't see those traits in young Shanahan. I think Atlanta has been the best fit for him because he is under a coach that checks all those boxes and allows him to be the mad scientist he is lurking in the shadows away from all the publicity. But as the head guy he will be in the spotlight non stop. He will have to deal with controversy inside and outside the locker like never before. Other young guys like Gruden, Raheem Morris, Jim Mora Jr all had a fiery energy about them when they took over. Shanny is stoic and unassuming. When you're the same age as your vets in the locker room you can't be the strong silent type like Bill Belichick. You need charisma and the ability to connect with guys on a deeper level than just Xs and Os otherwise you risk turning them off and them tuning you out and for me personally I just don't see it with Kyle.

Great coordinator, but he should continue to grow as an individual before taking on the responsibility of leading an organization. Otherwise I can see him struggling to translate his offensive prowess in to a winning product on the field. It takes more than knowledge to be successful in this game. 

Edited by LightningDawg58

12 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

I'm not sure where he will end up,probably Denver, but I will say this; I truly believe he will make a terrible head coach. He is a great XOs guy, brilliant, but there is so much more to being the head/face of an organization. The politics of it all, maintaining a healthy locker room, balancing energy and discipline, comraderie and respect.  I don't see those traits in your Shanahan. I think Atlanta has been the best fit for him because he is under a coach that checks all those boxes and allows him to be the mad scientist he is lurking in the shadows away from all the publicity. But as the head guy he will be in the spotlight non stop. He will have to deal with controversy inside and outside the locker like never before. Other young guys like Gruden, Raheem Morris, Jim Mora Jr all had a fiery energy about them when they took over. Shanny is stoic and unassuming. When you're the same age as your vets in the locker room you can't be the strong silent type like Bill Belichick. You need charisma and the ability to connect with guys on a deeper level than just Xs and Os and for me personally I just don't see it with Kyle.

Great coordinator, but he should continue to grow as an individual before taking on the responsibility of leading an organization. Otherwise I can see him struggling to translate his offensive prowess in to a winning product on the field. It takes more than knowledge to be successful in this game. 

I have to agree with a lot of what you say here, Shanahan in many ways does not appear to have the ideal personality, nor the social or diplomatic skills required by the HC position. It's one of the most high-stress jobs in the sports world, even when you're winning, and Kyle may not have the temperament to be able to deal with all the demands he will face as a HC.

I'm not hating on KS or wishing him bad luck, but like you I'm not quite convinced Shanahan has everything together personally he needs to have together yet, although he's certainly more than ready intellectually and in football experience and expertise. One thing is certain though, he'll get the chance to prove himself as a HC, and it's going to happen this off-season.

34 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

NFL QBs can't execute his system... no way will he dumb down his play book for some college kids.

I don't think Its that hard. RG3 In It his first year, and Ryan had problems because It was new different from anything he had done before. Look how much more he mastered the system In his second year.

16 minutes ago, cnst said:

this article says that cincy blocked denver from hiring their DB coach to be the DC for them? I didn't think a team could 'block' a guy from moving to a better position, even if he IS under contract?

8 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I have to agree with a lot of what you say here, Shanahan in many ways does not appear to have the ideal personality, nor the social or diplomatic skills required by the HC position. It's one of the most high-stress jobs in the sports world, even when you're winning, and Kyle may not have the temperament to be able to deal with all the demands he will face as a HC.

I'm not hating on KS or wishing him bad luck, but like you I'm not quite convinced Shanahan has everything together personally he needs to have together yet, although he's certainly more than ready intellectually and in football experience and expertise. One thing is certain though, he'll get the chance to prove himself as a HC, and it's going to happen this off-season.

I guess I just don't understand where this narrative is coming from?  How do we, as fans, have any insight into whether or not someone we have never met, spoken to, have intimate experience with, have any right to judge whether or not that person has everything together personally, or think it's too soon for him personally or even that he would make a "terrible" head coach?

It makes no sense to me, especially considering with every passing week more and more teams are linked to him which would indicate NFL franchises, that probably know just a little bit more than us fans, disagree with the narrative.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

I guess I just don't understand where this narrative is coming from?  How do we, as fans, have any insight into whether or not someone we have never met, spoken to, have intimate experience with, have any right to judge whether or not that person has everything together personally, or think it's too soon for him personally or even that he would make a "terrible" head coach?

It makes no sense to me, especially considering with every passing week more and more teams are linked to him which would indicate NFL franchises, that probably know just a little bit more than us fans, disagree with the narrative.

Here's why I disagree with that. Sure, we as fans know little compared to people that actually make decisions. But, those same people whose lives depend on making smart moves still wind up making dumb moves ALL THE TIME. It's all about timing and hype with them, it's why a player can get rated top 5 in the draft one year but fall to a 4th round prospect if he decides to wait. He is the exact same player but his buzz died down. Same goes with these coaching moves. Shanny has the hype NOW because of our teams success, but that doesn't garuntee that he can replicate that success with a completely different set of players, and with 4x the level of responsibility than he has now. 

Heres the funny part about this. We may just be fans but 1 of us is going to be right in the end. Considering that it is FAR more likely that any coach hired this offseason for ANY team will ultimately be fired before having  any real success Im going to err on the side of probability and you and everyone can err on the side of these NFL minds who they themselves will admit that they are wrong way more than they are right in this business.

If Shanny makes a great coach then awesome, good for him. I'm just offering my sincere opinion that he is not quite suited for that role yet. Matter of fact, I'll go out on a limb and say Shanny will spend the majority of his career as an OC and retire with maybe 2-3 short HC stints under his belt with an overall record hovering just under .500 and 1 playoff appearance. Just my humble opinion.

6 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Here's why I disagree with that. Sure, we as fans know little compared to people that actually make decisions. But, those same people whose lives depend on making smart moves still wind up making dumb moves ALL THE TIME. It's all about timing and hype with them, it's why a player can get rated top 5 in the draft one year but fall to a 4th round prospect if he decides to wait. He is the exact same player but his buzz died down. Same goes with these coaching moves. Shanny has the hype NOW because of our teams success, but that doesn't garuntee that he can replicate that success with a completely different set of players, and with 4x the level of responsibility than he has now. 

Heres the funny part about this. We may just be fans but 1 of us is going to be right in the end. Considering that it is FAR more likely that any coach hired this offseason for ANY team will ultimately be fired before having  any real success Im going to err on the side of probability and you and everyone can err on the side of these NFL minds who they themselves will admit that they are wrong way more than they are right in this business.

If Shanny makes a great coach then awesome, good for him. I'm just offering my sincere opinion that he is not quite suited for that role yet. Matter of fact, I'll go out on a limb and say Shanny will spend the majority of his career as an OC and retire with maybe 2-3 short HC stints under his belt with an overall record hovering just under .500 and 1 playoff appearance. Just my humble opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion for sure, but the fact of the matter is you or I or anyone on these boards cannot predict the future and have zero actual knowledge of how ready or not Kyle is for a head coaching gig, or McDaniels, or Austin, or Caldwell, I mean the list goes on and on.  Fact of the matter is coaches hit and coaches fail, just like draft picks.  Should we do away with the draft because franchises make bad picks all the time?  No, of course not.  There is an unknown element to all of this.  Just because there is no guarantee of success doesn't mean he, and the franchise hiring him, should not try.  Besides, while he hasn't had this level of success in his career, he has done some really good things and has made a name for himself.  Based on your line of thinking, since the odds are stacked against any coach, why even have head coaches is most fail, right?  If most will be fired before having any real success, why have head coaches in your world?

The fact that Matt Ryan, Dan Quinn, etc. who work with him every day endorse him as a HC tells me all I need to know about him.  You can stick to your opinion, I'll err on the side of individuals actually employed at the highest level who are stepping out and publicly endorsing him as a head coach.  I honestly could not care less what people on internet forums have to say on the matter, I just think it's funny how some people here have inflated views of how much they know on the matter.

14 minutes ago, athell said:

Not saying he will or won't. I have no idea. I will say this though, he's doesnt seem to connect with the media, you can see that in his press conferences.  He may get better at it. Who knows! 

To say that these NFL franchises know more than anyone here, may be a little bit of a stretch. They really don't know nothing either, they just think they do. Most of the HCs hired this year will probably fail and be back on the market in a few years. These NFL franchises miss terribly and repeatedly. To suggest they have some sort of special knowledge , doesn't match their results. They are just throwing stuff against the wall and see what sticks. They see our great offense and think they want that!! They may not get that when kyle gets there and doesn't have Matt Ryan anymore. Kyle Never had a offense this good before, he's bounced all over the league, and it's not like he has some long successful track record. His career has been up and down. The next great head coach may not even be getting interviewed right now. If they knew something special, they would have him in there. We would all be sitting here scratching their heads, why? Where did this guy come from?!? That doesn't happen. HC interviews are normally someone everyone knows because he has drawn attention to himself somehow. Most people already knew these guys would be up for jobs. Right now, they know exactly what we know about shanahan. They know his past, what he's doing now, and they hope he can make their team like that. Until the interview, they probably don't really know him close and personally, really don't then. Only Elway, probably can say he really knows him as a person. His and Denver's connection to him, maybe clouding their better judgement. If Kyle was here for 3-5 yrs , doing what he is doing now, that would be a good record. Right now, his past is filled with uncertainty. They are just hoping someone can turn their teams around and throwing interviews at anyone with some success recently.

2 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Not saying he will or won't. I have no idea. I will say this though, he's doesnt seem to connect with the media, you can see that in his press conferences.  He may get better at it. Who knows! 

To say that these NFL franchises know more than anyone here, may be a little bit of a stretch. They really don't know nothing either, they just think they do. Most of the HCs hired this year will probably fail and be back on the market in a few years. These NFL franchises miss terribly and repeatedly. To suggest they have some sort of special knowledge , doesn't match their results. They are just throwing stuff against the wall and see what sticks. They see our great offense and think they want that!! They may not get that when kyle gets there and doesn't have Matt Ryan anymore. Kyle Never had a offense this good before, he's bounced all over the league, and it's not like he has some long successful track record. His career has been up and down. The next great head coach may not even be getting interviewed right now. If they knew something special, they would have him in there. We would all be sitting here scratching their heads, why? Where did this guy come from?!? That doesn't happen. HC interviews are normally someone everyone knows because he has drawn attention to himself somehow. Most people already knew these guys would be up for jobs. Right now, they know exactly what we know about shanahan. They know his past, what he's doing now, and they hope he can make their team like that. Until the interview, they probably don't really know him close and personally, really don't then. Only Elway, probably can say he really knows him as a person. His and Denver's connection to him, maybe clouding their better judgement. If Kyle was here for 3-5 yrs , doing what he is doing now, that would be a good record. Right now, his past is filled with uncertainty. They are just hoping someone can turn their teams around and throwing interviews at anyone with some success recently.

lol, stopped reading there.  Sorry man, just can't do it...that is ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Ha! you beat me to it.. Same line of thinking i had...