These TV talking heads drive me CRAZY...

fuego

I know we've rehashed this a thousand times, but this was so egregious that I had to say something. 

So I'm watching Undisputed with Skip and Shannon, and they have Eric Mangini and Rob Parker discussing, "Will the Cowboys make it all the way to the Super Bow?" So Eric, Rob and Shannon all say the Cowboys are one and done. But anyway, Rob Parker is hanging all over Rodgers jock, GB will beat Dallas, and then go to Atlanta. And then Skip says  you projected that Rodgers goes to Atlanta and loses to Matt Ryan? And Rob says, "No, he already beat Matt Ryan and he blew them out down in Atlanta," and no one even offers up that we beat GB in Atlanta this year. Nobody says a word. Unless he was referring to '10. But there was no context that that was what he was referring to. :bang:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if he was referring to 10 that is some lazy analysis when it's a completely different team. National sports writers though are terrible because they try to follow all teams and therefore know nothing about any of them. Just enjoy it when the crow gets shoved in their face.

Shannon picked us to go the Super Bowl.

With that being said, Undisputed is probably the worst sports talk show in the business right now. There's no real analysis, and the bickering between the hosts isn't even interesting. Shannon and Skip don't have on-screen chemistry and the girl that's on there just serves as a referee and hardly says anything at all. Skip and Stephen A. Smith were awful analysts, but their arguments were at least interesting. I'd rather listen to Speak for Yourself or The Herd than Undisputed. Even First Take is better and I HATE Max Kellerman and especially Stephen A. Smith (has to be one of the most loud, ignorant and hyperbolic 'analyst' in the industry).

All the big market talk shows only cover big market teams, it's that way for every sport. When they talk about the NBA, they only cover the Cavs, Warriors and Thunder. Cowherd straight up said he doesn't talk about smaller market teams because his ratings would drop.

For the life of me I can't remember anything about it but I'm 100% sure I listened to some heads get 2-3 falcons facts wrong in one segment recently. 

I don't even watch sports shows any more. Someone tell Skip we would love to see Dallas in the championship game. His bias is undeniable. He was butt hurt at the suggestion that Atlanta would succeed where his Cowboys hypothetically failed. 

10 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Does someone have the whole article from before our 2011 playoff match with the Giants, the original unedited one?

Someone post that and some real raging will begin. 

Oh yeah...couldn't give two ***** about these morning show rating whores giving their "hot takes", but Rob Parker deserves some ****.  Rise up against this *****...

City of Atlanta doesn't deserve win

Jan 6, 2012
  • Rob Parker

It's not fair.

And, we know, it really shouldn't matter.

But Atlanta -- the city, not the team -- doesn't deserve a playoff victory over the New York Giants on Sunday.

It has nothing to do with football. It's deeper than that.

Fans in Atlanta haven't exactly been going out in huge numbers to see the Braves recently. Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

Without question, Atlanta is the worst sports town in America.

If the New York Yankees are the standard for excellence in baseball, Atlanta is the epitome of the bottom of the barrel when it comes to fan support.

Hence, the Atlanta Falcons shouldn't be allowed to win and reward some of the worst fans in the country. They just don't get it. They are both missing in action and simply not passionate enough to appreciate their team winning in the NFL playoffs and moving on to the next round.

Giants fans -- even with a fresh Super Bowl in their memories after the 2007 season -- are living and dying with their team. Football is a part of their lifestyle, it's who they are. On Sunday, every single moment of the game will be pure agony until the clock shows all zeroes and the Giants have secured the victory.

Your typical Atlanta fan -- who is probably from another city since so few are actually from ATL -- will be preoccupied with something else. They might not even be sure what time the game is on.

In fact, at some point, they might ask a friend -- filled with sweet tea -- at a pork-saturated barbeque, "Are the Falcons playing today?"

Pathetic.

But it's Atlanta, known as Hotlanta.

It's not for their passion when it comes to sports, just the weather. Oh yes, it gets hot down there.

But when it comes to sports, no city is as cold to warm up to its home teams. And it's just not when it comes to the NFL and the Falcons.

All of their teams have suffered from terrible support.

Just ask the Hawks. Atlanta's young and exciting basketball team has had problems selling tickets over the years -- even during a pretty thrilling playoff run a few years back. It's not like they play in a dump on the bad side of town.

The Philips Arena downtown is sweet, a cool place to see a game and be a part of the city as well. Yet, on most night you can get a section to yourself.

Even back in the old Omni days when I covered the Knicks for the Daily News, there were always more Knicks fans in attendance than Hawks fans -- and they had Dominique Wilkins, the Human Highlight Film. Shame more didn't see him play in person.

Sadly, there always seemed to be empty seats at Turner Field when the Braves were in the playoffs as well. You still have to wonder how fans got tired of the Braves winning. They had the best pitching staff in Major League Baseball for a decade and won a World Series back in the '90s. Fans should not have missed a pitch during that run.

Worse is the lack of passion the fans showed after an epic Braves collapse this season. Looking like a shoo-in most of the season, the Braves, who were 8½ games up in the National League wild-card race to start September, gave up their postseason spot on the last night of the season. The Braves went 9-18 in the final month, including a five-game losing streak to end the season. It allowed the St. Louis Cardinals to get in instead en route to winning the World Series.

Heads should have rolled. Instead, Braves first-year manager Fredi Gonzalez wasn't under fire from the fan base and will be back this coming season. Again, most probably didn't even notice.

Of course, there are some true-blue Atlanta sports fans. But in the 25 years I have covered sports in that town, attendance has always been an issue.

Despite winning 14 straight division titles, the Braves only led the league in attendance once. In Game 4 in the 2010 NLDS, there were 6,000 empty seats. In the 2005 NLDS, there were 10,000 empty seats in Game 1 and 4,000 empties in Game 2. In the 2004 NLDS, there were 9,000 empty seats for Game 1 and 10,000 empties for Game 2.

Last season, the Hawks ranked 22nd in attendance in the NBA.

And don't forget the NHL!

It's bad enough Atlanta got another hockey team, the Thrashers, after losing one already, the Flames in 1980. But it happened again -- the Thrashers are now in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Winnipeg? How embarrassing. Atlanta is once again hockey-less. Why? Terrible fan support.

The NHL wanted to believe Atlanta is a major-league city, a city that could support all four major sports. But it can't. Atlanta is now the first city in the NHL's modern history to lose two hockey teams. So sad.

That's why it would be a waste for the NFL gods to allow the city of Atlanta to lukewarmly enjoy a postseason win.

The city and its lame fans simply don't deserve it.

We'll have more dedicated fans once we establish a winning culture. You can't expect fans in a transplant city like Atlanta to as passionate as the goonies in New York. Football is huge down here, but all of our energy goes towards UGA rather than Atlanta. Once we win the Super Bowl -- rather it be this year or next year -- the bandwagoners will come out of their holes and we'll have more casual fans. We had a crazy fanbase when Vick was here. It's unfortunate, but we've had a boring albeit good team that hasn't had real success in the playoffs. All it takes is one win, and the whole narrative surrounding Atlanta changes.

23 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

We'll have more dedicated fans once we establish a winning culture. You can't expect fans in a transplant city like Atlanta to as passionate as the goonies in New York. Football is huge down here, but all of our energy goes towards UGA rather than Atlanta. Once we win the Super Bowl -- rather it be this year or next year -- the bandwagoners will come out of their holes and we'll have more casual fans. We had a crazy fanbase when Vick was here. It's unfortunate, but we've had a boring albeit good team that hasn't had real success in the playoffs. All it takes is one win, and the whole narrative surrounding Atlanta changes.

It's just that the hardcore fan base (albeit relatively small) is constantly overlooked.  We deserve it as much as anyone after all of the times we've been let down.  I don't concern myself too much with the bandwagoners and such, like all of the more successful franchises have.

3 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

It's just that the hardcore fan base (albeit relatively small) is constantly overlooked.  We deserve it as much as anyone after all of the times we've been let down.  I don't concern myself too much with the bandwagoners and such, like all of the more successful franchises have.

If anything, we deserve it MORE. It's easy to latch onto a successful franchise, it's different when your franchise is historically unsuccessful. ****, we didn't even have back-to-back winning seasons until 2009.

1 hour ago, PK Manley said:

Clearly this man knows Atlanta :lol:

Yep, and somehow that **** didn't get him fired, even with him changing it and pretending it was never that bad like dickless chicken**** that he is.

No, he got to keep that job after that, and instead got fired for saying that RGIII wasn't black enough for marrying a white woman.

At this point, he's like Petrino for me, in that he's a known complete scumbag, but somehow people with less morals than him continue to give him work.

I have writers that I dislike, but Parker's the only one that I legitimately want to see unemployed.

As I've always stated, it's mighty easy to talk tough about other cities' fans not being 'hardcore' enough when you have championship rings falling out of your pockets. It's even easier to do it when you don't have to break out your debit cards to pay for $20 parking, $85 upper deck seats, and have a hot buffet waiting on you in press row. You don't continue patronizing a restaurant that serves bad food with lousy service just because your grandparents loved it back in 1958. The same with sports.

There isn't a city in North America with multiple pro sports teams (one-horse towns like Portland, Sacramento, and Salt Lake doesn't count) whose fans didn't run for cover when things went south. National folks love to wax poetic about the Cubs always selling out but never bother bringing up the White Sox's attendance. Remember what the Celtics' place looked like the year before the 'Big 3' showed up? I do; it looked just like Philips Arena when the Hawks were getting rick-rolled. St Louis? They lost not one but two NFL franchises but they're great fans, right? And NYC? Really? They have a baseball team with over two dozen world title banners hanging up and didn't sellout their last playoff game, either. But shhh, don't say that out loud.

If the product on the field or court isn't good enough to pass muster, you find other things to do with your time and $$$. Atlanta is one of the few cities in this country that has collectively realized that, unlike other towns who pay to see 3-12 teams play ball. And as far as the playoffs is concerned, having spent many years watching (insert visiting team here) celebrate and toss champagne on each other at Turner Field in October or watching the Hawks or Falcons get beat in the opening rounds of the postseason can cause anyone to take pause before ordering another pack of tickets the following year.

Ignore these national trolls. If the Falcons take care of business, they'll be howling to no end about us 'not deserving to win a title' based on utter BS without even taking a glance at what happens in their darling hometowns. I can see guys like Wilbon whining from the hilltops now. Oh well...

Edited by ratesforless

26 minutes ago, ratesforless said:

As I've always stated, it's mighty easy to talk tough about other cities' fans not being 'hardcore' enough when you have championship rings falling out of your pockets. It's even easier to do it when you don't have to break out your debit cards to pay for $20 parking, $85 upper deck seats, and have a hot buffet waiting on you in press row. You don't continue patronizing a restaurant that serves bad food with lousy service just because your grandparents loved it back in 1958. The same with sports.

There isn't a city in North America with multiple pro sports teams (one-horse towns like Portland, Sacramento, and Salt Lake doesn't count) whose fans didn't run for cover when things went south. National folks love to wax poetic about the Cubs always selling out but never bother bringing up the White Sox's attendance. Remember what the Celtics' place looked like the year before the 'Big 3' showed up? I do; it looked just like Philips Arena when the Hawks were getting rick-rolled. St Louis? They lost not one but two NFL franchises but they're great fans, right? And NYC? Really? They have a baseball team with over two dozen world title banners hanging up and didn't sellout their last playoff game, either. But shhh, don't say that out loud.

If the product on the field or court isn't good enough to pass muster, you find other things to do with your time and $$$. Atlanta is one of the few cities in this country that has collectively realized that, unlike other towns who pay to see 3-12 teams play ball. And as far as the playoffs is concerned, having spent many years watching (insert visiting team here) celebrate and toss champagne on each other at Turner Field in October or watching the Hawks or Falcons get beat in the opening rounds of the postseason can cause anyone to take pause before ordering another pack of tickets the following year.

Ignore these national trolls. If the Falcons take care of business, they'll be howling to no end about us 'not deserving to win a title' based on utter BS without even taking a glance at what happens in their darling hometowns. I can see guys like Wilbon whining from the hilltops now. Oh well...

That's another guy I can't stand. 

It might just be me, but I swear, dudes like Parker and Wilbon just hate the south(especially ATL)because of some preconceived notion. As you said, no fanbase is going to pay a lot money and attention to a losing franchise year in and out. NOLA didn't have squat for a fanbase till they won the SB. Only people that cared about the Cubs were the diehard fans, but in all those losing seasons prior to winning the latest WS, their fans weren't all that 'attentive'. 

7 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Shannon picked us to go the Super Bowl.

With that being said, Undisputed is probably the worst sports talk show in the business right now. There's no real analysis, and the bickering between the hosts isn't even interesting. Shannon and Skip don't have on-screen chemistry and the girl that's on there just serves as a referee and hardly says anything at all. Skip and Stephen A. Smith were awful analysts, but their arguments were at least interesting. I'd rather listen to Speak for Yourself or The Herd than Undisputed. Even First Take is better and I HATE Max Kellerman and especially Stephen A. Smith (has to be one of the most loud, ignorant and hyperbolic 'analyst' in the industry).

All the big market talk shows only cover big market teams, it's that way for every sport. When they talk about the NBA, they only cover the Cavs, Warriors and Thunder. Cowherd straight up said he doesn't talk about smaller market teams because his ratings would drop.

Every sports talk show is the worst one. It's a tie for last place.

Yeah, I think it's up to us to begin an entirely new outlook.  Let's face it, football, both collegiate & the NFL draws in a huge customer base.  Fans have strong allegiances to their respective teams & cities.

These are emotional attachments.  So it's human nature to allow those emotions to bring about feelings of anger, jealousy, combativeness, protectiveness & all kinds of skittish behavior.  Especially when it comes to other teams.

Throw in the money/media markets to hype up the teams whose cities represent large profit centers and you have a recipe for all kinds of angles... Feelings will get hurt.

We need to understand that we don't historically have a sports city with the same base culture as those in Boston, New York, etc.  So... I say we all should chalk it up to media programs viewing us as a threat to their mainstream hyperbole.

We are turning the corner with this young team.  Lets enjoy it while we see it develop, no matter the results of this post season.  Let's change our attitudes along with our teams new identity.  Lets not automatically degrade those who aren't tuned into what's happening around here.  Rather than insult them, let's begin to force them into a dialogue about why we are now relevant.  We'll have a much better response this way rather than alienating them or insulting them.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  It's up to us to educate others and invite them into the wonderful world of the Atlanta Falcons.  

When they take a look inside, there's really a lot to like here.  

8 hours ago, PK Manley said:

Oh yeah...couldn't give two ***** about these morning show rating whores giving their "hot takes", but Rob Parker deserves some ****.  Rise up against this *****...

City of Atlanta doesn't deserve win

Jan 6, 2012
  • Rob Parker

It's not fair.

And, we know, it really shouldn't matter.

But Atlanta -- the city, not the team -- doesn't deserve a playoff victory over the New York Giants on Sunday.

It has nothing to do with football. It's deeper than that.

Just an unbelievable article. But something I would expect from him. After his RGIII remark about not being black enough, probably had to do with a lot of prejudice because we're in the south. 

How did he change the article and why?

1 hour ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

That's another guy I can't stand. 

It might just be me, but I swear, dudes like Parker and Wilbon just hate the south(especially ATL)because of some preconceived notion. As you said, no fanbase is going to pay a lot money and attention to a losing franchise year in and out. NOLA didn't have squat for a fanbase till they won the SB. Only people that cared about the Cubs were the diehard fans, but in all those losing seasons prior to winning the latest WS, their fans weren't all that 'attentive'. 

I remember one time Chris Dimino put Wilbon's feet to the fire when he interviewed him back in the 790 days regarding his abject hatred of Atlanta; and make no mistake, he doesn't waste any time trashing our town when any opportunity comes up on PTI. Wilbon had the brass ones to say that people have the civic obligation to attend ALL sporting events and sell out the building no matter the team's record, which Dimino said was absolutely ridiculous. Safe to say, Wilbon hasn't been on an Atlanta talk show since; at least to my knowledge.

In cases like his, it's a matter of ego. When he 'covers' a ballgame while ripping through the free buffet on press row, he wants the atmosphere to appear as if that's the biggest event of the day. That way, he can get more clicks on his columns, more notoriety, more TV appearances for himself, and of course, more $$$. He, like a lot of national sportswriters up north, are used to the lemmings in Chicago or Philly pay and sellout entire stadiums to boo a bad team because there's nothing else to do but shovel snow all winter long. So when there's empty seats at Turner Field because fans here have read the postseason script (Braves lose, opposing team celebrates on the mound) or at Philips when the Hawks are floundering, he doesn't place blame on the product because the free food, parking passes, and all-access badges would go away. He blames the one entity that cannot directly do anything to him in response.

And in the case of guys like Parker and Wilbon hating the south, I don't know about that. They never have anything negative to say about Charlotte, Miami, or Tampa when their teams are bad and the attendance is lacking. And they absolutely adore New Orleans, even though it's located in the Gulf Coast. ****, many of the national folks act as if they've been selling out the Superdome since it opened in the '70s by the way they wax poetically about their 'hardcore' fans whenever the Saints are playing a primetime game.

Edited by ratesforless

8 minutes ago, ratesforless said:

I remember one time Chris Dimino put Wilbon's feet to the fire when he interviewed him back in the 790 days regarding his abject hatred of Atlanta; and make no mistake, he doesn't waste any time trashing our town when any opportunity comes up on PTI. Wilbon had the brass ones to say that people have the civic obligation to attend ALL sporting events and sell out the building no matter the team's record, which Dimino said was absolutely ridiculous. Safe to say, Wilbon hasn't been on an Atlanta talk show since; at least to my knowledge.

In cases like his, it's a matter of ego. When he 'covers' a ballgame while ripping through the free buffet on press row, he wants the atmosphere to appear as if that's the biggest event of the day. That way, he can get more clicks on his columns, more notoriety, more TV appearances for himself, and of course, more $$$. So when there's empty seats at Turner Field because fans here already have read the postseason script (Braves lose, opposing team celebrates on the mound), he doesn't place blame on the product because the free food, parking passes, and all-access badges would go away. He blames the one entity that cannot directly do anything to him in response...

I wish I could have heard that interview! 

Everything you said makes perfect sense. What doesn't make since in regards to him is, why just Atlanta? Earlier in either late Nov. early Dec., he said that the Bucs would win the division, and didn't consider the Falcons as a real contender. Despite beating the Bucs and Saints weeks prior. He doesn't trash JAX, NOLA, TAMPA, CAROLINA or nearly any of the other teams that have just as bad or worst history of sports then Atlanta, at least not with the same consistency. 

In regards to the BOLD, that's got to be one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It makes no sense for ANY fanbase to pay good hard earned money to watch a losing franchise year in and out! To me it seems he just has a problem with the south(especially GA, MISS, BAMA). His constant rant about the SEC is some of nonsensical garbage I've every heard.