Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan to interview for 4 head coaching positions

birdz4i

Sporting NewsJan 2, 2017, 8:12 PM

The Atlanta Falcons have a bye in the opening round of the NFC Playoffs, but offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan apparently has a full schedule this week.

The man who led the highest-scoring offense in the NFL this season will reportedly interview for four open head-coaching positions around the NFL next Friday and Saturday. According to NFL Network, Shanahan will interview with the Broncos, Rams, Jaguars and 49ers over those two days.

The 37-year-old Shanahan has held the role of offensive coordinator with four different NFL teams over the past decade, but has drawn abundant praise this year for his work with quarterback Matt Ryan and the Falcons offense. Atlanta didn't miss a beat when receiver Julio Jones missed two games with a foot injury as Shanahan found ways to get Taylor Gabriel and Justin Hardy involved. 

Other candidates have been tied to each of those open coaching posts. Shanahan's strong resumé on offense would seem to make him a good fit for all four teams, which have struggled with offense so badly this season it led to clubhouse dissension, benched quarterbacks and, ultimately, fired head coaches.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/falcons-oc-kyle-shanahan-interview-011221272.html

out of all of those i think only the broncos are a serious threat. being the elway shanahan connection and throw in the shanahan kubiak connection.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Broncos are the leading contender, but I would hardly say they are the only 'threat'. My guess is he is the top 1-2 candidate of all those teams. 

The more we win, the more others will want our people. Hate to lose him, but this is a ultimately good thing. 

Edited by Vandy

A deep playoff run could lead to him staying. Few teams are willing to wait until after the Superbowl to name a HC.

We did, of course, but that usually isn't the case. If the Broncos want him, I can definitely see them waiting. A lot of reports of them liking Vance Joseph, but we will see. It makes sense for them to want an offensive guy 

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Scammysham is so pissy and arrogant nobody will hire him. He'll flub the interview and come back with his tail between his legs.

It has to be awkward when he admits that he's actually Satan during those interviews. That's kind of a hard one to just slide in there.

9 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Wow...

One thing I thought about recently is that if Kyle is the Broncos first choice he's likely gone, but if not, the Broncos can likely get their first choice and not have to "settle" for Shanahan.

This is why although I think Shannahan will get strong consideration, I don't think its a 100% forgone conclusion that Shannahan will get hired as a HC this year. There are quite a few talented coaches out there getting a lot of buzz. Prior relationships and the ability to put together a staff matters just as much as being a good coordinator..

40 minutes ago, jeffro2000 said:

A deep playoff run could lead to him staying. Few teams are willing to wait until after the Superbowl to name a HC.

We did, of course, but that usually isn't the case. If the Broncos want him, I can definitely see them waiting. A lot of reports of them liking Vance Joseph, but we will see. It makes sense for them to want an offensive guy 

I can see it.  The son of a guy that was there a long time and won a lot of games.  He is the architect of one of the best offenses in NFL history.  Denver has some offensive weapons and a young QB with tools.  Their defense is further along than ours.  I think it is a good situation for both parties.  Its bound to happen when guys do a good job.  This is the best job Shanahan has done, plus 13 years is a long enough time to have paid your dues.  Everybody tends to want to strike while the iron is hot.  Denver is going to think (and so will all the pundits) that he can do for their offense what he did for Atlanta's.  Unfortunately for them, it's not always that simple.  

10328.jpg

FOX Sports' Alex Marvez reports the Broncos' head-coaching job is Dolphins DC Vance Joseph's "to lose."

Retired coach Gary Kubiak wanted to bring Joseph on as his defensive coordinator when he took the job in 2014, but the Bengals wouldn't let him out of his contract when he was their DBs coach. Joseph is winding down his first season as the Dolphins' defensive play caller and was a key component in turning Miami into a playoff team. Joseph and Broncos scouting director Matt Russell played college football together at the University of Colorado in the 1990s.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Remember when Ryan was the front runner for the Atlanta job?

Too early to buy into any of this. 

I mean, I'm not saying that I really buy all the way into it, but Marvez is usually pretty solid.  Called Rob Ryan getting fired from the Saints, though that wasn't exactly a surprising revelation.

51 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

No way in **** he seriously considers the 9ers job. He must be interviewing out of professional courtesy.

Why not Zilla? Take a team that has nothing with no where to go but up?

Edited by Vandy

Just now, Godzilla1985 said:

They have fired two consecutive coaches after their first year. They have no QB, very little talent and the front office is a dumpster fire. 

I know, it's actually an ideal situation for someone to build a legacy ala Bill Walsh. Not saying Shanny is all of that, but we all know a successful coach would be a rock star in San Fran with their great fan base.

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I know, it's actually an ideal situation for someone to build a legacy ala Bill Walsh. Not saying Shanny is all of that, but we all know a successful coach would be a rock star in San Fran with their great fan base.

If the front office wasn't so pathetically inept I would agree but that is arguably the worst NFL front office in the league.  They already had a rock star coach who had brought them back to relavence and they canned him for no other reason than to stroke they're own egos.

Edited by Godzilla1985

5 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

If the front office wasn't so pathetically inept I would agree but that is arguably the worst NFL front office in the league.  They already had a rock star coach who had brought them back to relavence and they canned him for no other reason than to stroke they're own egos.

Inept is an understatement. They fired Harbaugh, passed on Adam Gase after telling him he had the job and then hired Jim Tomsula. Thats just azz backwards.