How do NFL playoffs work?

BLM

2 minutes ago, athell said:

There is no set in stone answer other than the #1 seed plays the lowest remaining seed after wild card weekend and the #2 seed plays the highest remaining seed like ICD said.

why wouldn't you be able to know if oakland wins...

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

NE plays Oakland, the #5 seed, only if the Steelers #3 seed win.

If the Steelers lose to the #6 Dolphins, then the Dolphins would go to New England because they would now be the lowest remaining seed.

so it's seeding based not record based then after the first round?

Edited by BLM

1 minute ago, BLM said:

so it's seeding based not record based then?

Correct.  #1 seed gets the "easier path" since they get the lowest seeded remaining team while #2 gets the highest seeded remaining team.

It's not like march madness where there is a bracket system so you know who will play who as the rounds advance.  It's all seed based.  Seeds are based on record and tie breakers.

Edited by athell

Just now, athell said:

Correct.  #1 seed gets the "easier path" since they get the lowest seeded remaining team while #2 gets the highest seeded remaining team.

It's not like march madness where there is a bracket system so you know who will play who as the rounds advance.  It's all seed based.  Seeds are based on record and tie breakers.

i wasn't sure if they switched to record based after the first round.  i know first round is seeding based.. thx

Just now, BLM said:

so it's seeding based not record based then after the first round?

No, the seeding is locked in place before everything starts

There are 4 divisions per conference.  Each division winner get the top 4 seeds, which means at least 1 home playoff game.  Those seeds ARE based on record.  The top 2 records get the first round byes.

The #3 and #4 seeded division winners will play the two wild card teams who make it into the playoffs #5, and #6... that most of the time is based on record but not always.

You can have scenarios where an 11-5 team finished second in their division to say a 13-3 team.  But because that 11-5 team isn't a division winner, they are a wild card team, and will have to go on the road to play the #4 or #5 seed... and it is entirely possible that one of those teams will have a worse record that 11-5.  One year the Saints (I think they were like 11-5) had to go to Seattle to play the Seahawks who were 7-9, but because they won their division they automatically get to host.  New Orleans lost btw.

2 minutes ago, BLM said:

i wasn't sure if they switched to record based after the first round.  i know first round is seeding based.. thx

Ahh yeah, no problem.  It's seed based throughout.  There are quite a few people who believe the seeding system should change in that the top 6 teams from each conference based on record get in and are seeded as such without any divisional implications.  Meaning, if a division winner has a worse record than a non division winner, the non division winner would get the higher seed and thus the home game.

I don't think it'll ever happen, but it's been a topic for a while.

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There are 4 divisions per conference.  Each division winner get the top 4 seeds, which means at least 1 home playoff game.  Those seeds ARE based on record.  The top 2 records get the first round byes.

The #3 and #4 seeded division winners will play the two wild card teams who make it into the playoffs #5, and #6... that most of the time is based on record but not always.

You can have scenarios where an 11-5 team finished second in their division to say a 13-3 team.  But because that 11-5 team isn't a division winner, they are a wild card team, and will have to go on the road to play the #4 or #5 seed... and it is entirely possible that one of those teams will have a worse record that 11-5.  One year the Saints (I think they were like 11-5) had to go to Seattle to play the Seahawks who were 7-9, but because they won their division they automatically get to host.  New Orleans lost btw.

ok thanks, theis helps

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Get outta my head PMF!  :argh:

so, short answer, just looking at the likely scenerios...

the winner of the Oakland/Texans game will be going to New England, because...

... it's tough to see #6 Miami beating#3  Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, although stranger things have happened.  

Pittsburgh the #3 seed would then be going to Kansas City, while either #5 Oakland, or #4 Houston goes to New England.

5 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

so, short answer, just looking at the likely scenerios...

the winner of the Oakland/Texans game will be going to New England, because...

... it's tough to see #6 Miami beating#3  Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, although stranger things have happened.  

Pittsburgh the #3 seed would then be going to Kansas City, while either #5 Oakland, or #4 Houston goes to New England.

Yes, but who's on first

As others have said, the #1 seed plays the lowest remaining seed.

IMO the seeding system if flawed, because it gives the 4 top seeds to the division winners irrespective of their records. In 2010 the Seahawks won their division with a 7-9 record, but were still seeded at #4. The Packers won 10 games, and but were only seeded #5 because they finished 2nd in their division

We were the #1 seed and ended up playing a very strong 10-6 Packers team in the Divional Playoff round, whilst the bears who were seeded #2 needed up with a much easier game against the 7-9 Seahawks.

35 minutes ago, ukfalc said:

As others have said, the #1 seed plays the lowest remaining seed.

IMO the seeding system if flawed, because it gives the 4 top seeds to the division winners irrespective of their records. In 2010 the Seahawks won their division with a 7-9 record, but were still seeded at #4. The Packers won 10 games, and but were only seeded #5 because they finished 2nd in their division

We were the #1 seed and ended up playing a very strong 10-6 Packers team in the Divional Playoff round, whilst the bears who were seeded #2 needed up with a much easier game against the 7-9 Seahawks.

I'll forever be annoyed that we had to go to Phoenix in 2008, even though we were 11-5 and the Cardinals were 9-7.  The NFL should really stop awarding the division winners an automatic home game.

I know the league wants division titles to be important, but a guaranteed playoff spot is still a pretty good deal when teams are making it in at 8-8, 7-8-1, 7-9...

5 minutes ago, virginiafalcon said:

I'll forever be annoyed that we had to go to Phoenix in 2008, even though we were 11-5 and the Cardinals were 9-7.  The NFL should really stop awarding the division winners an automatic home game.

I know the league wants division titles to be important, but a guaranteed playoff spot is still a pretty good deal when teams are making it in at 8-8, 7-8-1, 7-9...

no they shouldn't.