Why This 2nd Seed Is A Huge Advantage For Our Defense, and What No One is Talking About

We will face the Packers, the Giants, or the Seahawks in our first playoff game. This is confirmed. The Cowboys will get the lowest remaining seed, therefore, it is impossible for us to face the Lions.

So, what do the Packers, Giants and Seahawks have in common?

The West Coast Offense.

They aren't the exact same team on offense, by any means. I'm not in any way trying to say that. But the benefit of being able to practice knowing the general scheme we will be facing cannot be understated. All three offenses that we have the potential to play will be using a variation of Walsh's blueprint.

I've kept close tabs on this team, and our Cover 1 has absolutely shut down every WCO team we've played, including the Packers, limited to 8 points in the 2nd half against us. And our defense has gotten considerably better since then. We have a serious leg up on the teams that will be coming into the dome when you consider that.

Another big deal? Our defense faces off against the greatest WCO in the last decade and a half every day.

This team will be ready. They'll be rev'd up and aching to cause some hurt in opposing offenses. They'll be flying around. They'll be running up the score and taking names. Bookmark Neal and Debo for a couple highlight reel hits. I'm pumped.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Seahawks have what it take to win 1 at home... Which with be a smooth W for our 1st round game.  And if they lose.  I think the packers win theirs game..... And Rogers scares me.... (lol joke.) but I believe we're a much better defense then in our 1st meeting... Which equals a win. 

Bring on Dallas now! 

My bold prediction. 

Ryan don't throw a single INT all the way to the ship

Yeah I feel like when Quinn figures you out our defense puts on the clamps. That 2nd half against the Packers is one of the reason I feel like we can win a shootout. The Seahawks don't really scare me, losing Earl makes them vulnerable imo. The Giants will be interesting if they beat the Packers in Lambeau because that D is tough. They got a nasty pass rush and secondary which usually is a bad recipe for QBs.

1 minute ago, AmaZze said:

Yeah I feel like when Quinn figures you out our defense puts on the clamps. That 2nd half against the Packers is one of the reason I feel like we can win a shootout. The Seahawks don't really scare me, losing Earl makes them vulnerable imo. The Giants will be interesting if they beat the Packers in Lambeau because that D is tough. They got a nasty pass rush and secondary which usually is a bad recipe for QBs.

NYG secondary really is nothing to write home about. Landon Collins has been great this year, but all the corners can be had, along with their FS. I've seen Apple, DRC, and Jenkins beat many teams this season and throughout the years. 

Just now, Atlantafan21 said:

NYG secondary really is nothing to write home about. Landon Collins has been great this year, but all the corners can be had, along with their FS. I've seen Apple, DRC, and Jenkins beat many teams this season and throughout the years. 

Idk Jenkins and DRC been playing ball lately and their pass rush allows them to jump routes. If we get the run game going we should cruise to a W imo

24 minutes ago, AmaZze said:

Idk Jenkins and DRC been playing ball lately and their pass rush allows them to jump routes. If we get the run game going we should cruise to a W imo

I don't think the Giants go into GB and beat that red hot team. Dallas at home vs GB is gonna be an awesome one to watch.

You play the way that you prepare for the game. Quinn and Co. has been motivating this squad and putting in excellent game plans. With that said, any team we play at this point is capable of beating us. I like our chances - especially if we are healthy - and hope that we are seriously downplayed on all of the television shows for the next two weeks to keep the fellas' heads where they should be: on our next opponent instead of Super Bowl dreams. Love being #2 and eager to finish #1.

1 hour ago, Falcan Moore said:

We will face the Packers, the Giants, or the Seahawks in our first playoff game. This is confirmed. The Cowboys will get the lowest remaining seed, therefore, it is impossible for us to face the Lions.

So, what do the Packers, Giants and Seahawks have in common?

The West Coast Offense.

They aren't the exact same team on offense, by any means. I'm not in any way trying to say that. But the benefit of being able to practice knowing the general scheme we will be facing cannot be understated. All three offenses that we have the potential to play will be using a variation of Walsh's blueprint.

I've kept close tabs on this team, and our Cover 1 has absolutely shut down every WCO team we've played, including the Packers, limited to 8 points in the 2nd half against us. And our defense has gotten considerably better since then. We have a serious leg up on the teams that will be coming into the dome when you consider that.

Another big deal? Our defense faces off against the greatest WCO in the last decade and a half every day.

This team will be ready. They'll be rev'd up and aching to cause some hurt in opposing offenses. They'll be flying around. They'll be running up the score and taking names. Bookmark Neal and Debo for a couple highlight reel hits. I'm pumped.

The concepts should be familiar enough by now to the young guys that they should be able to comfortably defend against anything those teams throw at them. Even the zone defense has gotten better, and the rooks are gaining confidence so much so that they're starting to recognize routes and trying to undercut them.

I expect the defense to perform well against Seattle or New York. But against GB? **** no. And I say that because their OL gets away with murderous holds and Rodgers will scramble 9/10 times for absolutely no reason and find some open receiver that barely even ran the called route. Our secondary has no chance of covering his receivers for 10 seconds while he dances around behind the LOS and his OL straight up performs MMA takedowns on our DL. 

2 minutes ago, QuinnTorris said:

I expect the defense to perform well against Seattle or New York. But against GB? **** no. And I say that because their OL gets away with murderous holds and Rodgers will scramble 9/10 times for absolutely no reason and find some open receiver that barely even ran the called route. Our secondary has no chance of covering his receivers for 10 seconds while he dances around behind the LOS and his OL straight up performs MMA takedowns on our DL. 

what exactly is so different about GB now than when we kicked their butts earlier this year? Didn't we spy rodgers with beasley? Didn't that pretty much work then, just like it did against all the rest of the quasi moblile QBs we faced this year? He'll make a few plays, but this team isn't like the one that lost to them in the playoffs a few years back

5 minutes ago, papachaz said:

what exactly is so different about GB now than when we kicked their butts earlier this year? Didn't we spy rodgers with beasley? Didn't that pretty much work then, just like it did against all the rest of the quasi moblile QBs we faced this year? He'll make a few plays, but this team isn't like the one that lost to them in the playoffs a few years back

Look I'm not saying that we would lose to them. In fact the offense probably would drop 40. But our defense still has a ways to go. They held GB to 8 points in the 2nd half of that game but we were still one dropped interception by one of the Packers DBs from losing that game since we allowed 24 in the first half alone, which is terrible. And on Sunday this defense showed it will still struggle against elite QBs and Rodgers is as good as they come. I think it weird that people truly can be confident in thinking our defense would perform well against GB. I just don't see it. 

yeah ok, but this past sunday, they coasted the whole second half. I'm not saying a few fluke things can't happen, and I for one certainly hope that 'we're gonna coast this half with a big lead' crap goes away. But I'm not worried about GB. 

I can't explain it, but I am the most relaxed about this teams chances I've ever been. and if you study my history here, you'll find that's WAY WAY WAY on the weird side of things, I'm one of the biggest negative nancies around  :ninja:

But We have a good enough mix of vets with experience and youth for longevity to hang with anyone. I'm more worried about bone headed coaching decisions (see the KC game for a prime example) than I am our talent

10 minutes ago, QuinnTorris said:

Look I'm not saying that we would lose to them. In fact the offense probably would drop 40. But our defense still has a ways to go. They held GB to 8 points in the 2nd half of that game but we were still one dropped interception by one of the Packers DBs from losing that game since we allowed 24 in the first half alone, which is terrible. And on Sunday this defense showed it will still struggle against elite QBs and Rodgers is as good as they come. I think it weird that people truly can be confident in thinking our defense would perform well against GB. I just don't see it. 

I think we have a better D now and are better prepared for them. I don't really want to play them, but I don't think that we lose to them either again. 

Wait so those 3 teams all use the WCO in about the same fashion but their own spin on it. You're saying since that's the case and our defense has had so much practice against it that we should be successful. 

Well couldn't the argument be made the other way too? Those teams run the WCO like us so their defense will be ready just like ours. Get what I am saying? 

2 hours ago, QuinnTorris said:

Exactly. Out of the three possible opponents GB is the one we don't want. A shootout is what we are designed to win, but I would rathar not have to get in one. I believe we handily beat N.Y., or Sea. GB would likely be a much more difficult game

2 hours ago, papachaz said:

I don't think "kicked their butts" is the best way to describe it.   They had a lot of injuries to the secondary and were missing clay Matthews and we still only won by one point with the aid of some come back antics by Matt Ryan and company. 

With that being said, I think us already playing them earlier in the year gives us an advantage defensively.  Rogers will still make plays and he'll still make time in and out of the pocket but they're one dimensional. I think that our ability to run the football will ultimately give us the advantage, as I don't think that a one dimensional passing team with the no defense - regardless of who their QB is - should be able to beat us. Especially if we already have film on them, and know what we need to improve on.

Edited by ChickenBiscuit

yeah yeah, call it whatever you want, second half of that game we kicked their butts. these so called 'come back antics of Ryan' have really been a pretty consistant thing throughout his career. Yeah, not every game, but he's well known as having a lot of game winning drives