Dan Quinn: Vic Beasley (shoulder) has no limitations moving forward

birdz4i

4:25 PM ET
  • mcclure_vaughn_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=c
    Vaughn McClure
  • ESPN Staff Writer

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn said star pass-rusher Vic Beasley Jr., who suffered a left shoulder injury in Sunday's regular-season finale against the New Orleans Saints, will practice during this playoff bye week.

Beasley told reporters he felt his shoulder pop out of place and thought it was his labrum, the same injury he played through last season in his right shoulder. Quinn expressed little concern about Beasley's injury without sharing specifics of what Monday's MRI might have revealed.

"He did great and came back into the game and finish the game, so no limitations for him moving forward," Quinn said. "It was sore, but he did a really good job."

Asked if Beasley would practice this week, Quinn said, "He will, yep."

Beasley finished as the NFL's sack leader with 15.5, two ahead of reigning Super Bowl MVP Von Miller.

"We're all pumped for him," Quinn said of Beasley. "One of the byproducts of that is his ability to get the ball. So for him to have the forced fumbles this year that he did [six] -- between he and Keanu Neal -- that's been a real factor."

In other injury news, Quinn said tight end Austin Hooper, recovering from a sprained MCL, and wide receiver Taylor Gabriel, who suffered a foot injury, will return to practice this week. The Falcons will have a couple of light practices on Wednesday and Thursday and will get an extended break starting Friday. Some of the other banged up players to monitor this week include wide receiver Julio Jones (toe) and cornerback Robert Alford (knee).

As the NFC's No. 2 seed, the Falcons will await their second-round opponent -- possibly the No. 3 seed Seattle Seahawks, who face the No. 6 seed Detroit Lions on Saturday (8:15 p.m. ET).

The Falcons will host a divisional playoff game on Saturday, Jan. 14 at the Georgia Dome (4:35 p.m. ET). It will be the highest remaining seed after the wildcard round, with top-seeded Dallas hosting the lowest-remaining seed on Jan. 15 (4:40 p.m. ET).

The Packers and Giants are the No. 4 and No. 5 seed and square off in Green Bay on Sunday (4:40 p.m. ET).

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/24613/dan-quinn-vic-beasley-shoulder-had-no-limitations-moving-forward

2 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Coach speak. The shoulder is damaged, but with pain RX he will play. 

Disclaimer: I am no orthopedic surgeon, but I did stay at a Holiday Express last night.

Just don't POP a shoulder back without addressing the trauma to ligaments/tendons/muscles.

Both shoulder dislocations and shoulder seperations (they are very different injuries) occur in varying degrees. In my opinion a seperation is a **** of a lot more painful than a dislocation. I had a dislocation where I was able to just pop it back in place right there, yes it was painful but I was still able to function without future surgery.

7 hours ago, Asault86 said:

Both shoulder dislocations and shoulder seperations (they are very different injuries) occur in varying degrees. In my opinion a seperation is a **** of a lot more painful than a dislocation. I had a dislocation where I was able to just pop it back in place right there, yes it was painful but I was still able to function without future surgery.

Makes recurrence more likely though?