Kyle Shanahan won't let coaching interviews be a distraction

fuego

It came as little surprise when ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Atlanta Falconsoffensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has a Friday head-coaching interview lined up with Jacksonville.

Shanahan should be a hot commodity as the architect behind the league's top scoring offense at 33.8 points per game. He is a big reason why the Falcons went 11-5 during the regular season and secured the NFC's No. 2 seed, which resulted in a first-round bye. The Falcons will host a second-round divisional playoff game on Jan. 14 at 4:35 p.m. ET.

This week's bye, which includes no practice on Friday for the Falcons, allows Shanahan to go through the interview process. It wouldn't be shocking to see him hit multiple destinations on his trek, if feasible. According to NFL rules, any interview of Shanahan must be conducted prior to the conclusion of the Wild Card games, with Sunday's Giants-Packers matchup at 4:40 p.m. ET being the last of those four games.

The Los Angeles Rams, as Schefter reported, started doing background work on Shanahan immediately after Jeff Fisher was fired and have requested an interview with Shanahan as well. The Rams scored a league-worst 14.0 points per game this season, so they should make Shanahan's brilliant offensive mind a top priority.

And, of course, there's Denver, where Shanahan served as a ball boy while his father, Mike, was winning Super Bowls as the Broncos' head coach. It would seem only natural for John Elway to make a push for Shanahan after Gary Kubiak stepped down for health reasons, and the Broncs have, in fact, also requested an interview. Plus, Shanahan credited Kubiak for helping elevate his career, serving as Kubiak's offensive coordinator in Houston. No doubt Kubiak would endorse Shanahan as his successor.

Here's what Shanahan said on Dec. 15 when asked about the talk of him becoming a head coach:

"It's very flattering to be asked the question and people to ask you that stuff, but it's not hard to block it out because there's so much ... we've got a lot of stuff to do. I've kind of learned over the years, whether it's good or bad, I do a pretty good job of blocking it out. It doesn't help you either way.

"I appreciate people saying that stuff, but I know good things don't happen in this league unless you take care of your business. And we've got a lot of ways to go in this season. I think we're in a great position. I love where we're at right now, and I want to make sure we end this the right way."

Shanahan's mindset hasn't changed. He has mentioned multiple times how no coaches really are happy at the end of the season unless they've won the Super Bowl. The Falcons have a legitimate chance to get there despite the nation's love affair with the Dallas Cowboys.

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said he had discussions with Shanahan about the head-coachin possibilities without going into details about their talks. Quinn, who went through the interview process in the postseason when he was the Seattle Seahawks' defensive coordinator, can offer Shanahan a fresh perspective. The way Quinn handled it was doing all his interview prep prior to the season so there was "zero distraction" during the regular season and playoffs.

Shanahan probably followed the same procedure.

We'll see how everything unfolds, but the Falcons seem destined to lose Shanahan. Then there will be talk of how MVP candidate Matt Ryan will fare with yet another offensive coordinator. The Falcons would rather answer those questions after the Super Bowl, of course.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/24597/kyle-shanahan-wont-let-coaching-interviews-be-a-distraction

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, blackredfellow said:

I'm honestly not worried about Ryan having another OC. He's proven he's very smart and can play in just about any system. If we build a top defense, Ryan and the offense will be fine. 

Hire from within keep the same playbook, add a few wrinkles and as far as I'm concerned I would trust Ryan to call the plays.

14 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Hire from within keep the same playbook, add a few wrinkles and as far as I'm concerned I would trust Ryan to call the plays.

Shanahan is the playbook though. Go watch interviews of when Quinn hired him. 

Look at Seattle's defense once Quinn left. They tried to hire from within but haven't been the same since he left. 

50 minutes ago, IamFRESCO1 said:

I wonder why they won't just pay him to keep him? Our guys put in all that hard work to learn the system just to let him walk after 2 years...wack.

I hope we make it to the Super Bowl and all the jobs are filled before then. 

it does not work like that Fresco.    90% of these assistant coaches dream to be an NFL head coach.   Of the 90%, probably less than 5% of them will ever get that chance.

Kyle Shanahan is probably the most imminently qualified coordinators out there.  While he does not have head coaching on his resume', he has a father that is a two time superbowl winner as a head coach and experienced in personnel on his speed dial.

Kyle is going to be a head coach and it is just a matter of time - probably a month or less and he will get one of these jobs.   We cannot pay enough to keep him - and - even if the money was the same, Shanahan wants to be a head coach.

I will say this move will pinch a nerve.  The offense has come a long way and they are succeeding.  MR is on point, the oline is on point,  RBs are on point,and the WRs & TEs are doing they're thing as well.  

After re-watching yesterday's game the team didn't punt 1 time during the first half.  They scored on every possession.  If KS moves on I wonder who will replace him.  If he coaching change comes into play I hope they stay in the same system.

19 minutes ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Look at Seattle's defense once Quinn left. They tried to hire from within but haven't been the same since he left. 

They ain't been the same is because their best player on defense got hurt at the end

57 minutes ago, falcndave said:

The problem is, the people "within" may well go with him to fill OC/QBC positions. 

Possible but the OL coach came from Seattle with Quinn, Morris the WR coach is long time friends with Quinn and if I'm the QB coach offered the promotion to OC in Atlanta or the OC job with a complete rebuild I most likely stick with the Falcons and try to build my resume with an offense that is pretty special.

The RB coach may or may not leave as he was the RB coach in Denver during Mike Shanahans time. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

3 hours ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Huh...,their D went from 1st in 2014 to 1st in 2015? 

I don't think there is any chance we keep Shanahan. Once the Denver job opened up, it became a no-brainer. I could understand passing on the Rams or Jags. The Broncos are a perfect spot for him. Great defense. Offensive weapons. Yes, they need a QB, but he has made weak QB's look serviceable. He would have plenty to work with over there.

8 minutes ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

Look deeper than the stats. **** look at the first half of this year if you wanna look at stats. Go read the Seahawks boards. They know Quinn was the man behind it all. It's not as simple as keeping the system. 

Well yes, that's true. You also don't need to be losing the cornerstone of your defense in Thomas and you need to keep drafting well to replace the guys who move on. 

But even with all of that, that system still is a Top 5 D this season so seems to be working pretty well without Quinn.  

Edited by Vandy

I wouldn't doubt if Blank don't offer him a very hefty raise to stay another year or two.. He'd get to see this team play in the new Stadium. And not have to pressure to proof himself for many years.. That pressure is not to fun carrying ,, Don't pack his bags just yet.... Blank has a way with people,, I'd say he could do something to keep him around... a little while longer...:wiggle:

7 hours ago, IamFRESCO1 said:

I wonder why they won't just pay him to keep him? Our guys put in all that hard work to learn the system just to let him walk after 2 years...wack.

I hope we make it to the Super Bowl and all the jobs are filled before then. 

We will just promote from within or hire a similar coach/guy he recommends - I highly doubt we will see a big dropoff. 

13 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

I wouldn't doubt if Blank don't offer him a very hefty raise to stay another year or two.. He'd get to see this team play in the new Stadium. And not have to pressure to proof himself for many years.. That pressure is not to fun carrying ,, Don't pack his bags just yet.... Blank has a way with people,, I'd say he could do something to keep him around... a little while longer...:wiggle:

A raise doesn't mean crap if Shanny doesn't want the raise.

7 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

A raise doesn't mean crap if Shanny doesn't want the raise.

So you don't think Shanny would like a raise,, ??  There is more to being happy than being the HC and the headaches that come with that ... I'd say Shanny will be here at least another year or two. Blank will getter done.. IMO And Shanny can enjoy watching this team win..  Now all the pressure is gone and he's enjoying what he and TD has put together.. I think he stays at least another year or two. I wouldn't doubt that he don't retire as Falcon Coach. And with that every year his price tag goes up...... :mmmhmm: