the defense through my eyes

jdawg4876

9 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

uh no if its the whole game you dont limit a team that good to 13 pts for three quarters. ha ha ha ha ha god your bad at this and you know it.

I wouldn't worry to much about him. This is his regular schtick. The team wasn't built the way HE wanted it so now any success the team gets pi$ses him off. Some people in life would rather be right than happy. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Smitty's old, slow defense held what was a better GB offense to 17 points in the 2010 regular season.

Quinn's speedy, physical, playoff ready bunch allowed 32 points to the 2016 Packer offense.

You taking about the GB team that had the most lost time IR injuries that year and blew the same defense out the water after they found a running game? Yea I remember. What does 2010 have to do with 2016. We won yesterday. End of story. 

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Smitty's old, slow defense held what was a better GB offense to 17 points in the 2010 regular season.

Quinn's speedy, physical, playoff ready bunch allowed 32 points to the 2016 Packer offense.

this team is a 100 yrs younger they are growing before our eyes and headed in the right direction the defense under mike smith was always on the wrong side of 30. lets see alfrod, trufant, beasly, grady, neal, jones, campbell, all young or rookies so yeah there will be growing pains but they are headed in the right direction

24 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Nope no agenda. Just answered the question that was asked. Now the TATFers trying to convince us that our defense is playoff ready might have an agenda. A weak one but an agenda nonetheless.

You didn't answer why you left out the part that we were up against the best offense in the league.. and come on guy, everyone here knows you have an agenda.. not your players.. not who you wanted.. not the gm you back.. come on now.. you've made your agenda known repeatedly

32 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

this team is a 100 yrs younger they are growing before our eyes and headed in the right direction the defense under mike smith was always on the wrong side of 30. lets see alfrod, trufant, beasly, grady, neal, jones, campbell, all young or rookies so yeah there will be growing pains but they are headed in the right direction

I have to say that of the playoff team's defense; between Smith and Quinn, I am more confident in Quinn's. Neither are world beaters but in terms of physicality and pure athleticism, I give it to Quinn's squad hands down.

The emergence of Beasley being the biggest feather in the cap of Quinn. Not to mention Jones, Collins, Poole, Jarrett, and Neal. Quinn has built a better foundation for a defense than Smith did in his entire tenure here. 

Yet there are still people on these boards that b@tch about defense and still maintain that Gurley, Gregory, and Odighizuwa would have improved our defense more. We call these people feebleminded. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

35 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

You taking about the GB team that had the most lost time IR injuries that year and blew the same defense out the water after they found a running game? Yea I remember. What does 2010 have to do with 2016. We won yesterday. End of story. 

That injury ravaged Packer team finished top 10 in points and yards. 

I didn't bring them up, someone else did as a dig against Smitty, whose defense held GB to 17 in the regular season. Abe even did the discount double check move after sacking Godgers. How soon we forget.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO at the posters still saying Smitty's 2010 defense was a bunch of aging, over the hill vets. Only two starters were over 30 and both were effective. Grimes, WillyMo, DeCoud, Lofton, Nic, Peters and Biermann were all under 28 years old.

And they were slow, especially in the middle of field.

Edited by Vandy

15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

That injury ravaged Packer team finished top 10 in points and yards. 

I didn't bring them up, someone else did as a dig against Smitty, whose defense held GB to 17 in the regular season. Abe even did the discount double check move after sacking Godgers. How soon we forget.

I didn't forget anything. I still think we were the better team. Just ill prepared. Abe discount double checking is what pissed Rodgers off. Rodgers said this. 

10 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO at the posters still saying Smitty's 2010 defense was a bunch of aging, over the hill vets. Only two starters were over 30 and both were effective. Grimes, WillyMo, DeCoud, Lofton, Nic, Spoon, Peters, Vance and Biermann were all under 28 years old.

They weren't old but they were slow. At a time when the keaugue was changing to a passing leaugue we had a defense that was built to stop the run. 

28 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

You didn't answer why you left out the part that we were up against the best offense in the league.. and come on guy, everyone here knows you have an agenda.. not your players.. not who you wanted.. not the gm you back.. come on now.. you've made your agenda known repeatedly

That is some narrative cooked up by shiny happy blind loyalists who will always believe we have no flaws.

I only have one agenda and that's to get rest. Any questions?

FFS1970 you know that we have 4 rookies and anther 4 second year players starting on D? What did you expect from them? To be the 85 Bears D or the Legion of  Doom? OP stated that they are promising and getting better, nothing more.

So according to you our D sucks, so why watch the playoffs. Quinn better stay home and focus on the upcoming Draft

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

That is some narrative cooked up by shiny happy blind loyalists who will always believe we have no flaws.

Maybe you should 'rest' up for our playoff run after our big win yesterday?

:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Who are these ppl that think we have no flaws? Every single NFL team has flaws. What happened yesterday isn't a flaw in the defense tho. That was a coaching decision to pullback on offense and milk the clock and NO made a run. That's it. Nothing more nothing less. 

18 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

But somehow finished fifth in points allowed. I'm not sure they were slow. Maybe slower than Quinn's fast and fiscal bunch, but they still made plays.

They were slow. They were fast going downhill against the run but against an offense built for speed like GB and SF they couldn't keep up. Plus why are we talking about the past?? 2008-20014 is over with and done. It's 2017 now. 

Let me repeat myself.

If the Falcons are as worried as y'all are about almost losing a 25 point lead in the fourth quarter, then they WILL lose their first playoff game and it's not going to be due to a blown big lead, it's going to be because they were so worried about something that DID NOT MATTER anymore and did not focus on the game ahead of them.

Be a pro and FORGET about this game. It DOES NOT matter anymore unless you MAKE it matter. The Falcons won, and are going to be playing at least one playoff game. It may not be more than one, but still.

The defense probably IS NOT ready to face the smooth, savvy veteran quarterbacks they will have to beat to get to the Super Bowl, but the only defense that I would REALLY fear in the NFC in return is New York. Seattle's is good, but their defense is banged up and they've been weirdly bad on the road this season outside of one game.

New England is probably gonna win another Super Bowl. It sucks but is true...

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

But somehow finished fifth in points allowed. I'm not sure they were slow. Maybe slower than Quinn's fast and fiscal bunch, but they still made plays.

Hey, nobody is a bigger Smitty fan than you and me. Look at what he did in Tampa, proved yet again all the naysayers wrong who trashed him here as a coach. But time to move on, my man.

This organization now has a different philosophy it just did not have when Smitty was here ....an attitude of investing in D first instead of offense first....as we both know, none of which was totally smith's fault or philosophy.

I agree with you it's not there yet, but this D has real talent with potential to be great. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

Who are these ppl that think we have no flaws? Every single NFL team has flaws. What happened yesterday isn't a flaw in the defense tho. That was a coaching decision to pullback on offense and milk the clock and NO made a run. That's it. Nothing more nothing less. 

I can answer that! They don't exist. They are a red herring concocted from various posters' opinions. This whole debate started when OP stated that he believed the defense improved. Then in perhaps the most impressive display of mental gymnastics the world has ever seen, 'getting better' transformed into "stout" and "juggernaut". 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Nope no agenda. Just answered the question that was asked. Now the TATFers trying to convince us that our defense is playoff ready might have an agenda. A weak one but an agenda nonetheless.

70 why are you always trying to look for an excuse for not wanting this team to succeed.

Your consistently intent on watching this team or any other decent looking falcons team  fail.Man I don't get it.

To me its like all those years of bad Falcons teams have jaded you Bro and you don't want to look past it.

For me I tend to take a the DB mindset short memory and move on.Bro you need to adapt the same. 

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

70 why are you always trying to look for an excuse for not wanting this team to succeed.

Your consistently intent on watching this team or any other decent looking falcons team  fail.Man I don't get it.

To me its like all those years of bad Falcons teams have jaded you Bro and you don't want to look past it.

For me I tend to take a the DB mindset short memory and move on.Bro you need to adapt the same. 

But not only that even the team he claims to like now in 2010 am due 2012 he was the same way with them. It's like he loves living in the past and uses it to bring down the present. In 4 or 5 years he'll be looking at this team Andy talking about good things it did. I love him to death but he's the kind of person that won't allow himself to be happy for nothing and will find fault in anything. He hates the present and praises the past. He will love this team in a few years. Weird. 

5 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

This second half collapse is becoming a staple of games where the offense manages to build a two TD or better lead early in the game. The minute the offense stops scoring and dominating play, this D gets gashed and keeps on getting gashed till the closing whistle.  That ain't going to fly in the play-offs.

By the time the game ended our D had its collective tail between its legs and was in full retreat. Had we not recovered the second on-side kick, we would've lost this game. This is the best Falcon team ever, but the D is not there yet. It's going to be at least another year or more before it gets to where it needs to be.

I hate to say it, but the crowd is a factor (or non factor). If Seattle built a lead like that it would sound like Armageddon. Our "spectators" get complacent. 75% of the crowd left early. It has sounded like a morgue in that dome multiple times this year. A defensive pick 6 or strip sack in the 3rd quarter could've iced that game. But crowd noise is a significant factor in achieving that because it disrupts OL communication and forces QBs to panic and/or rush throws.

This defense is VERY close. And the good thing is because of our crappy fans, we're just as effective on the road.

56 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Why you still won't answer why you fail to admit they were going up against the best offense in the league in your incessant whining concerning the game played yesterday? 

Deflect deflect deflect