PMF, It's TIME: Your Take on the GAME

BIRDLAND 2.0

I'll shoot you something a little more detailed when I get back home and in front of my DVR, but there isn't a team in the NFC that Atlanta doesn't match up well against... a few better than others, but every team left has its weaknesses that can be exploited:

Seattle without Earl Thomas is vulnerable in the seams of that defense. I've seen teams the past few weeks work the middle of the field on them. Their offense isn't as physical as they used to be without Lynch.

Green Bay, they're always scary with Rodgers, but I like the matchup with their receivers believe it or not. They've got issues vs. man coverage and Green Bay's defense is still ehh. We'd feast on them again.

Dallas, I think they're potentially the most vulnerable. Tough running team of course, but their passing game is elementary with Dak under center and their defense... Well, they don't match up well at all vs. Atlanta.

Giants, they're the great enigma because they're so well rounded on defense and Eli... Well you know what it is with Eli and the playoffs.

There's no easy road to the big show. But there's no one out there that can't be had.

If by THE GAME, you're asking me about today? 

Any anxiety is much ado about nothing. It's doesn't portend anything one way or another about the playoffs.

I've sat in the Dome for season finales where we blew the doors off a team and went home the next week.

I sat in the Dome in the 2012 finale vs. Tampa which was a listless loss to a bad Buc team. The Falcons won two weeks later and wound up playing in the NFC Championship game.

Dont make anything of a season finale.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I'll shoot you something a little more detailed when I get back home and in front of my DVR, but there isn't a team in the NFC that Atlanta doesn't match up well against... a few better than others, but every team left has its weaknesses that can be exploited:

Seattle without Earl Thomas is vulnerable in the seams of that defense. I've seen teams the past few weeks work the middle of the field on them. Their offense isn't as physical as they used to be without Lynch.

Green Bay, they're always scary with Rodgers, but I like the matchup with their receivers believe it or not. They've got issues vs. man coverage and Green Bay's defense is still ehh. We'd feast on them again.

Dallas, I think they're potentially the most vulnerable. Tough running team of course, but their passing game is elementary with Dak under center and their defense... Well, they don't match up well at all vs. Atlanta.

Giants, they're the great enigma because they're so well rounded on defense and Eli... Well you know what it is with Eli and the playoffs.

There's no easy road to the big show. But there's no one out there that can't be had.

Look forward to it!

I agree it has no bearing on future playoff games. Birds had a 25 point lead in the 3rd quarter, I'm certain even if the coaches didn't call off the dogs,there had to be some players going we got this,it's only human nature. They accomplished the goal first round bye, and by virtue of the sloppy last quarter or so,coaches can still honestly drill them for 2 weeks prepping for whomever coming to Atlanta. The core guys were extremely sharp regardless Ryan,Freeman,Julio,Sanu etc.etc. Now the holidays are behind them and they can get back to a workman like schedule. Any concerns that TATF might have will be surpassed by the concerns of the defensive coordinators of the Falcons next opponent.  Seriously think they went vanilla conservative on offense after the huge lead,and defense was gassed by TOP difference earlier in the game. On defense still hate how much they drop off on 3rd and long, but logic does dictate try and keep everything in front of you. Whether the Birds can run the table obviously remains to be seen but the playoffs are set up about as well as it can be to do just that.

@BIRDLAND 2.0

Okay, Bird, here we go.  I'm gonna do some of this in real time, kinda like a gameday thread.  

I was out of town this weekend, watching the game from my laptop.  When the Falcons went up 35-13 at the half, I went for  a quick walk and didn't get back to my hotel until almost the 4th quarter... to my shock the Saints still only had 13.  But I'm back home now in front of my DVR and I can run some stuff back a few times.

First off, for anyone criticizing the coaching saying they went conservative in the 2nd half offensively, what a joke.  I didn't hear it then, but on the TV copy coming out of half Laura Okmin talking about Quinn told the team at the half not to even look at the scoreboard, that we were still playing.

And low and behold second drive of the half they're going play action FROM THEIR OWN 2 YARD LINE and taking a deep shot to Julio (that almost got picked off).  Second play, do they go two or three TE's and try to pound it out of there for some space?  NOPE.  Kyle spreads it out in the Gun and gets a 14 yard completion.  Next play... play action again 23 yard completion to Julio.  Three passes in a row ain't conservative.

One thing I am noticing right off is the Saints look like they may have simplified their coverage a little.  Their zones were played a lot tighter.  A couple of times they didn't even look like they knew where they were on the field in the 1st half, the second half they were closing down those underneath quick throws.  That's what happened on that first drive out of the half where they went three and out.

90 something yard drive.  Three passes called near the goal line, not one run.  Matt Ryan took three hits on that drive, one of them his throwing shoulder driven into the ground, and people around here are actually upset we didn't try to run up the score.  I'm all for the next man up philosophy, but not if the next man up is Schaub.

Through the 3rd quarter.  Still don't see anything conservative.  Defense totally closed down New Orleans offense.  Tight coverage, they blitzed, got a sack, batted down a pass.

Offense was still on attack mode.  Came out an ran a little more, even after Matt took those shots on that second drive.  Threw a go route on 2nd and 21 that Hardy should have caught.  Couple of procedural penalities killed the momentum, but you don't throw a go route on 2nd and 21 if you're being conservative.  You go ahead and run those last two down out and punt.

New Orleans first play of the 4th, they kept their base on the field, which kept Atlanta's base defense on the field, then they went shotgun and spread them out to throw.  New Orleans should have done that sooner.  Atlanta does not like to defend the pass from base personnel. Worrilow and Wheeler were on the field  Coverage bust right out the gate.

I don't even know what the coverage was, but Worrilow looked lost and ran right into Jalen.  11 yard gain by Cadet out of the backfield.

Second play, they do the same thing.  Go base and kill it to a pass.  Atlanta in man, good bat down by Aldf.

Third play, man coverage, sticks concept to Phillips.  Keanu jumps the route beautifully and should have had the pick.

3rd down, just a great throw, perfect throw and great catch my Thomas.  Jalen had good coverage on it.  The offense gets paid too.

Next play to Snead.  Atlanta blitzed.  Poole missed the jam and just got beat.  Just whiffed.  Not something you're gonna see too often.  So, that's back to back big plays.

Good defensive play by Jalen in the end zone.  Great location on the ball to throw it to the receivers back shoulder.  That's not easy to defend.

Cover-1 Rat, Campbell was the rat.  Great job is coming down on that hook.  Jalen had good coverage.  Thomas pushed the **** out of him and came back for the ball and snuck into the end zone for the touchdown. 

Looks like Atlanta is finally into taking the air out of the ball mode.  Two runs back to back.  New Orleans selling out to stop it.  They even took a timeout after second down with 10:26 left.  

New Orleans brings 6 on the pressure, forced Matt to get rid of the ball too soon.  Great route, great concept, even a good throw, but having to get rid of it that split second before Williams had the corner stacked allowed the corner to undercut the route and bat down the ball.  4th down, time to punt.  Now you're putting that defense right back out there after a long New Orleans drive.

Penalty on the punt allows New Orleans to receive again with better field position.

Another great throw by Brees.  Falcons were in 3 Mable.  Zone to one side of the field, man to the other.  Brees threw a backshoulder to Thomas vs. the man side.

3rd and 13, man coverage again.  Poole slips as Snead runs a zig route.  Snead turns it up and Neal cleans his clock.  Too bad Atlanta didn't scoop that fumble.

So, far there still isn't anything conservative and nothing resembling a prevent.  So far, it's Brees making a couple of Brees throws, a bad no-call by the officials, and Poole getting picked on.  He had a couple of ugly plays on back-to-back series that cost big yards.  There is again.  A simple flat route and he not only allows the back but allows the receiver to turn it up for almost 10 yards.  I keep saying it, he's better in zone.

Under 7 minutes left.  

Two back to back runs.  Quick screen to Sanu.  4 total yards gained.  New Orleans takes a T.O.  Three and out 5:16 left when the clock should still be running.  

And here comes the stat padding.  Atlanta's been defending nothing but passes for the past 2-3 drives.  They're pretty much in sub with their ears pinned back defending the pass.  First play of the drive: hand-off.  Second play: hand-off.  

Everyone was playing off -- Campbell and Jones were 6 and 7 yards from the LOS respectively looking for pass.  That's not normal depth for linebackers if anyone is wondering.  That's where those big runs finally started to come from.  That one got N.O. all the way to the 10 yard line of Atlanta.

Another hand-off, clock still running.  And there were posters who actually thought New Orleans was really trying to win???

Another hand-off.  Ingram stopped just short.  This is the Saints now.  Who throws more 2 yard TD passes than Brees and they're handing it off by the goalline with less than three minutes left?

Another hand-off.  Finally a touchdown.

one note here on the touchdown.  New Orleans was in a 3 receiver set on the one yard line.  Atlanta was forced to match up with Nickel.  And had the speed rush package in of Beasley and Reed.  That's not how that's normally gonna go on the goal line.

Two point attempt failed.  

Onside kick gets recovered after a freaky bat by the frontline guy.

Next two plays -- man coverage.  Still no prevent.  Good defense on a 4 yard completion on one, excellent pass defense to knock the ball down on Jones vs. the back on the second.  Poole is in good position to defend the 3rd down go ball.  

4th down.  Fake toss waggle pass by N.O.  That's not normal.  Teams don't play action on 4th and 5.  It's man coverage though.  No one bit.  They chipped Beasley.  Brees just barely gets it out with two guys bearing down on him.  Good route by Thomas to beat Jalen on the cross.  The stacked him well selling the vertical, then a quick little shake to get loose.

2:12 left.  Falcons playing way off.  Cover-3, everyone bailed.  Easy completion.  They're just trying to keep them in bounds to burn the clock now.

Coming out of the 2 minute warning.  Once again, playing off.  Protect the end zone.  Another easy completion in the middle of the field... which hadn't been there all day.

4th and 1 Ingram converts.

1:09 left - Atlanta still protecting the end zone.  No man coverage.  Easy checkdown to Ingram.  Clock still running.  N.O. burns last timeout.

Out of timeout.  Good play by Campbell in that hook zone to tip that pass.  They tried to sneak Fleener behind him and get it over his head..

3rd and 5 -- once again, Atlanta playing off.  Easy completion for the 1st that hadn't been there the whole day.

2nd and goal after the spike - once again, Atlanta playing off.  Campbell has the running back as the flat defender.  Campbell gets shook.  Runner fakes inside then goes back out to the flat.  Touchdown.  Runner just gets in through a tough stick my Jalen.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

Okay, game over.  

My final thoughts.  If you think Atlanta went to a prevent defense, you don't know what you are talking about.  They didn't start playing off coverage until New Orleans final drive.  They were playing tight man coverage all the way into the 4th quarter.  If you think Atlanta's offense went into Smittyball mode in the second half, you don't know what you are talking about.

They came out aggressive and stayed aggressive deep into the second half.  Wasn't until midway through the 4th quarter did they start just handing the ball off.  And Payton starts burning timeouts with 10 minutes left to extend the game that Atlanta was trying to end.

The defense is fine.  They closed down New Orleans offense.  There were a couple of great throw (yeah, I know, Drew Brees and great throws, when have those things ever been synonymous), and a couple of sloppy plays by two guys on the defense that allowed chunk plays... Brian Poole I'm looking at you.  The kid's been outstanding the whole season, though, I'm confident he'll get it right.

The offense... anyone concerned about this offense... well, I don't know what to say to you.

(Belichick voice/) We're on to (Seattle???), New York???... whoever.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

By this, did you mean the Saints were not actually trying to win at this point? 

If not, what were they doing? Stat padding? Are you saying they had already given up?

23 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Another hand-off, clock still running.  And there were posters who actually thought New Orleans was really trying to win???

Just now, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

By this, did you mean the Saints were not actually trying to win at this point? 

If not, what were they doing? Stat padding? Are you saying they had already given up?

Yeah.  They were trying to get Ingram his 1000 yards for the season.  Which they did.

Sean Payton is not the kind of playcaller that calls 4 runs in a row down two scores with less than 5 minutes left on the clock.

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Okay, game over.  

My final thoughts.  If you think Atlanta went to a prevent defense, you don't know what you are talking about.  They didn't start playing off coverage until New Orleans final drive.  They were playing tight man coverage all the way into the 4th quarter.  If you think Atlanta's offense went into Smittyball mode in the second half, you don't know what you are talking about.

They came out aggressive and stayed aggressive deep into the second half.  Wasn't until midway through the 4th quarter did they start just handing the ball off.  And Payton starts burning timeouts with 10 minutes left to extend the game that Atlanta was trying to end.

The defense is fine.  They closed down New Orleans offense.  There were a couple of great throw (yeah, I know, Drew Brees and great throws, when have those things ever been synonymous), and a couple of sloppy plays by two guys on the defense that allowed chunk plays... Brian Poole I'm looking at you.  The kid's been outstanding the whole season, though, I'm confident he'll get it right.

The offense... anyone concerned about this offense... well, I don't know what to say to you.

(Belichick voice/) We're on to (Seattle???), New York???... whoever.

That avatar pic HAS grown even fatter with your Steve Mariucci game breakdowns and resulting praise. Thank you, chief. You make football more enjoyable for me as well as everyone else! :tiphat:

Here's a couple of those mistakes I was talking about by the defense in the 4th.

Campbell is the flat defender.  He's supposed to match the back out of the backfield.  Looks like he was expecting an angle route.  Running back gave him a shake and ran what looked like another zig route and came open.  If Campbell hadn't opened his hips and stayed square he'd have been in better position to make the play.  Instead he turned his shoulders and sprinted to the flat.  Back pretty much had his way from there.  But that's a play I've seen him make before on the back.

giphy.gif

Take a look how Poole falls down on the zig route when Snead comes back out.  That's a stop on 3rd and 13 in any other situation.  Again, that's a play Poole usually makes, and made throughout the game.

giphy.gif

Once again, Poole in the slot on Snead.  Bad technique there on the step-kick.  You're supposed to be patient with the receiver.  You're supposed to take a step, then wait for the receiver to finish that shimmy and get moving.  When he chooses a direction, you kick off that other foot and mirror him.  You may be a step behind him, but that's okay.  Here, Poole is way too slow reacting to the move and that initial step looked way too wide.  Plus he completely missed the punch to the pec of the receiver.  That's a small technique thing that will get corrected.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yeah.  They were trying to get Ingram his 1000 yards for the season.  Which they did.

Sean Payton is not the kind of playcaller that calls 4 runs in a row down two scores with less than 5 minutes left on the clock.

said the same exact thing at that pt there was nothing left to play for but stat records

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Here's a couple of those mistakes I was talking about by the defense in the 4th.

Campbell is the flat defender.  He's supposed to match the back out of the backfield.  Looks like he was expecting an angle route.  Running back gave him a shake and ran what looked like another zig route and came open.  If Campbell hadn't opened his hips and stayed square he'd have been in better position to make the play.  Instead he turned his shoulders and sprinted to the flat.  Back pretty much had his way from there.  But that's a play I've seen him make before on the back.

giphy.gif

Take a look how Poole falls down on the zig route when Snead comes back out.  That's a stop on 3rd and 13 in any other situation.  Again, that's a play Poole usually makes, and made throughout the game.

giphy.gif

Once again, Poole in the slot on Snead.  Bad technique there on the step-kick.  You're supposed to be patient with the receiver.  You're supposed to take a step, then wait for the receiver to finish that shimmy and get moving.  When he chooses a direction, you kick off that other foot and mirror him.  You may be a step behind him, but that's okay.  Here, Poole is way too slow reacting to the move and that initial step looked way too wide.  Plus he completely missed the punch to the pec of the receiver.  That's a small technique thing that will get corrected.

giphy.gif

do you thing fatigue started to set in on poole and the defense as a whole