Jump to content

Are the Falcons becoming the new dominant NFL team?


Sergeant
 Share

Recommended Posts

This year we have the NFL MVP at QB, a Defensive player of the year candidate and NFL sack leader, and two rookie of the year candidates. As far as specific individual awards go, that's very impressive for a team to have. Looking around at every position, we can of course improve in some areas, but this team feels like it's just getting started. A large amount of us thought we were maybe a year removed from being dominant, but look at us, we just went 11-5 against the hardest schedule in the NFL. Not only did we meet that challenge, we put it in the dirt, putting up the #7 highest scoring offense of all time. 

We have a lot of young core pieces offensively and defensively that are going to be around for a while. Honestly, I think there's nowhere to go but up at this point. Our front office is very stable and has now given us two amazing offseasons in a row.

If our front office can keep up with these solid drafts and FA's, your Atlanta Falcons will be the new team to beat every year. Move over, Patriots. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Falcan Moore said:

Pump the brakes, buddy.

Ha ha..yup. I swear dude...I feel a trade up in this draft. They're gonna wanna add a stud...Jamal Adams, Jonathan Allen or Tim Williams. The OP is right on the great core we have. Our depth is fairly solid and can be rounded out with reasonable FA signings

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Falcan Moore said:

Pump the brakes, buddy.

I know we're used to being let down, so some fans have a hard time getting optimistic for our team, but look at this objectively. We are in such a good position to dominate the NFL and grab a ring or two within these next few years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

Ha ha..yup. I swear dude...I feel a trade up in this draft. They're gonna wanna add a stud...Jamal Adams, Jonathan Allen or Tim Williams. The OP is right on the great core we have. Our depth is fairly solid and can be rounded out with reasonable FA signings

If we trade up that will be the beginning of the end. Pure stupid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jpowers said:

Could they be? Sure

 

 

Are they? That remains to be seen.

 

Let's cool the Jets a little. By "a little" I mean let's stop the car. There is a lot of football left to be played before we can even claim to be a dominant for one season. 

I'd rather stay optimistic and excited, honestly. I'm not predicting how the playoffs will go this season, but I think we're about to see a new age of Falcon dominance. I'm really buying into coach Quinn and the front office. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MSalmon said:

Not really. Depends on who they want. This is the time to add quality over quantity. Unless someone they really love comes down to them

I think we should continue the trend of signing one or two quality big name FA's and then stock up on good non-risk players in the draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Ha ha..yup. I swear dude...I feel a trade up in this draft. They're gonna wanna add a stud...Jamal Adams, Jonathan Allen or Tim Williams. The OP is right on the great core we have. Our depth is fairly solid and can be rounded out with reasonable FA signings

Tbh I hope we don't. Late first round has a lot of good talent in areas of need. We aren't one player away - if anything, we can build heavily for depth. If y'all really want to dominate, THAT is how dynasties are built. Just look at the Pats. And even the Broncos and Seahawks in these last several years, though they're falling off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MSalmon said:

Not really. Depends on who they want. This is the time to add quality over quantity. Unless someone they really love comes down to them

Have you seen our past few drafts??? Adding Debo, Campbell, Neal

Collins, Hardy, Coleman, Beasley, Jarret

You would trade 3-4 players in each draft for 1 guy?? Does New England do that?? Ever?? No. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Falcan Moore said:

Tbh I hope we don't. Late first round has a lot of good talent in areas of need. We aren't one player away - if anything, we can build heavily for depth. If y'all really want to dominate, THAT is how dynasties are built. Just look at the Pats. And even the Broncos and Seahawks in these last several years, though they're falling off.

The Seahawks barely ever have a first round pick. They make huge vet trades all the time. Broncos are wheelers and dealers too. They both pick well in the mid to late rounds. You can build depth with 4 or 5 picks and UDFAs (Poole) and reasonable FA signings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Trick Montalban said:

I'd rather stay optimistic and excited, honestly. I'm not predicting how the playoffs will go this season, but I think we're about to see a new age of Falcon dominance. I'm really buying into coach Quinn and the front office. 

Dude you have no idea how much I completely agree with you. I have completely bought in to this team and where we're headed. I think this is just the beginning for this team.

 

All that being said, this is the NFL and we haven't done anything as of yet for me to start calling this the "next dominant team". You have to dominate first for me to call any team that.

 

Baby steps felllas. Baby steps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Tbh I hope we don't. Late first round has a lot of good talent in areas of need. We aren't one player away - if anything, we can build heavily for depth. If y'all really want to dominate, THAT is how dynasties are built. Just look at the Pats. And even the Broncos and Seahawks in these last several years, though they're falling off.

Very true. If anything, this might be the draft for Quinn/TD to trade down in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Dude you have no idea how much I completely agree with you. I have completely bought in to this team and where we're headed. I think this is just the beginning for this team.

 

All that being said, this is the NFL and we haven't done anything as of yet for me to start calling this the "next dominant team". You have to dominate first for me to call any team that.

 

Baby steps felllas. Baby steps.

But we did dominate, although it was just on one side of the ball for the most part. My post is saying that I think we'll keep this trend up and dominate on more than one side here soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Have you seen our past few drafts??? Adding Debo, Campbell, Neal

Collins, Hardy, Coleman, Beasley, Jarret

You would trade 3-4 players in each draft for 1 guy?? Does New England do that?? Ever?? No. 

First of all, depends on who I wanted and if I thought they were that guy. Second it really depends on how we go FA as well. But you're also pointing out a mixed bag of players. Collins is a secon rounder, TeCo and Hardy 3rd rounders and Jarrett a 5th rounder. Even in the Julio trade we lost a second and fourth and still had 5 picks the next year. With this staff as you pointed out they can find talent in mid to late rounds. Add in the UDFA Poole as well.

now Beasley was 8 overall. Funny you point out an elite pass rusher picked in the top ten..so assuming--which I don't have insight to, inky speculation--DQ wants to add stud pass rusher, most likely you're gonna have to get up there. FA is tough and expensive for those type players.

now let's speculate further. let's say we sign Eric Berry as our splash player. Sign some mid-level DTs like Sylvester Williams and maybe Abry Jones. Maybe even get a reasonable signing of Leary to play G.

now we go in draft and at about 15 Tim Williams a super quick fast twitch edge guy is there...DQ just loves him. Or Solomon Thomas is there at 19, an explosive base DE that can fill the Bennett role. Are you mad if we get one of those guys but still draft 5 prospects (like we did in Julio trade) or 5 the next year? 

I wouldn't because we added quality playmakers, still filled our holes and this staff has proven they can find late round contributors. Heck the Seahawks never have a first round pick.mthey see a vet they want they go get them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Trick Montalban said:

But we did dominate, although it was just on one side of the ball for the most part. My post is saying that I think we'll keep this trend up and dominate on more than one side here soon. 

It's the "seasoned" Falcon fan in me that wants to take that kind of talk easy for right now.

 

Let the playoffs play out the right way and I'll put Gazoo to shame here in a few months though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Matt Ryan. Julio Jones. Alex Mack. DeVonte Freeman. Vic Beasley. Matt Bryant. Desmond Trufant. Deion Jones. Keanu Neal. Ryan Schraeder. Patrick DiMarco. Matt Bosher. These guys are already stars at or near the top at their position. They might not get the accolades due to being on the Falcons instead of GB/Dal/NY/etc... But make no mistake, I would not trade these guys for many others in the league.

Tevin Coleman. Jake Matthews. Andy Levitre. Robert Alford. Jalen Collins. Grady Jarrett. Adrian Clayborn. Brooks Reed. Brian Poole. Sanu. Gabriel. These guys are proven, quality starters. I didn't include Shelby or Upshaw, but both are noteworthy and I'm hoping Shelby comes back strong from his injury next season.

We have a really strong team that is deep with talent. I wanted to put Coleman and Alford in the first group, and it's not a knock on them, just don't think they are as indispensable as the first group. Still a 1b group though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

That part I'm not sure of. Though I'm sure it'd be easier to do this draft, since picks 20-40 or so are loaded. I just feel like a phenomenal player is going to be there when we pick. 

And that could be true...but I'm not so sure if we want a pass rusher if that's the case. The truly best ones are gonna go high. It'll be interesting.

i do agree i don't see much trading back except maybe in rounds 5-7 to get depth guys, but even then DQ does phenomonal work with UDFAs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Falcan Moore said:

That part I'm not sure of. Though I'm sure it'd be easier to do this draft, since picks 20-40 or so are loaded. I just feel like a phenomenal player is going to be there when we pick. 

If we could get 4 picks in 1st 3 rounds that would be smart for this particular draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pzummo said:

Matt Ryan. Julio Jones. Alex Mack. DeVonte Freeman. Vic Beasley. Matt Bryant. Desmond Trufant. Deion Jones. Keanu Neal. Ryan Schraeder. Patrick DiMarco. Matt Bosher. These guys are already stars at or near the top at their position. They might not get the accolades due to being on the Falcons instead of GB/Dal/NY/etc... But make no mistake, I would not trade these guys for many others in the league.

Tevin Coleman. Jake Matthews. Andy Levitre. Robert Alford. Jalen Collins. Grady Jarrett. Adrian Clayborn. Brooks Reed. Brian Poole. Sanu. Gabriel. These guys are proven, quality starters. I didn't include Shelby or Upshaw, but both are noteworthy and I'm hoping Shelby comes back strong from his injury next season.

We have a really strong team that is deep with talent. I wanted to put Coleman and Alford in the first group, and it's not a knock on them, just don't think they are as indispensable as the first group. Still a 1b group though.

This core team has a limited window. I really think we'll see a move to add "final pieces." Hat most of us forget, but thank you for reminding us, is we've really been reloading since the 2013 draft. You can throw the crapola 12 draft out the window. But 2013 and on we've been hitting on solid core players. Call it the Pioli effect  lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...