Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blkbigdog35

January Hawks Thread

181 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, mlibid said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Teams with the trade pieces to trade for him aren't dumb. He's gone after this season and will test the free agency market regardless of where he ends up. Unfortunately, I have a hard time believing that anyone will pay a "king's ransom" for a rental.

"If"

Schroder has been playing well as of late. That's really helped this team out. I would LOVE if we could find a way to add a guy like Gordon Hayward.

Also I want to keep Hardaway. But if it comes down to possibly getting a guy like Hayward, or keeping Hardaway, it's an easy choice

1 hour ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Well it's going to take some time for Korver and his new teammates to adjust to one another.

Help defense

Game Preview: Boston Celtics at Atlanta Hawks

• ESPN.com

The Atlanta Hawks will host the Boston Celtics on Friday at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN/WatchESPN. This will be the first matchup between the teams in 2016-17. Last season, the Hawks won three of their four meetings during the regular season and then eliminated the Celtics in six games in the first round of the playoffs. Over the past two regular seasons, Atlanta is 5-2 against Boston.

The Celtics have won five of their last six games but have dropped their last two road games. Boston is 4-7 on the road against teams that are currently .500 or better (Atlanta is 22-16). The Hawks have won seven straight games, which is the longest active win streak in the NBA.

Celtics players to watch: Al Horford and Isaiah Thomas

Horford returns to Atlanta for the first time as an opponent. He spent the first nine seasons of his career in Atlanta and was a four-time All-Star.

Prior to Horford’s arrival in Atlanta, the Hawks had missed the postseason in eight consecutive seasons. Starting with Horford’s arrival in 2007-08, the Hawks never missed the playoffs during his time there.

Horford is averaging nearly five assists per game, which leads all NBA centers.

On Wednesday, Thomas scored 20 of his game-high 38 points in the fourth quarter of the Celtics’ victory over the Washington Wizards. It was the third time that Thomas scored 20 or more points in the fourth quarter this season; no other NBA player has had more than one 20-point fourth quarter. Thomas leads the NBA with a per-game average of 9.8 points during the fourth quarter.

Philips Arena got the better of Thomas last season. In both regular-season games at Atlanta last season, he was held under 20 points while shooting only 30 percent from the floor. He wasn’t much better during the postseason, averaging only 16.7 PPG

Despite being only 5-foot-9, no one attacks the rim better than Thomas. He leads all NBA players this season with 10.1 PPG on drives. NBA.com has drive tracking stats over the last four seasons, and Thomas’ average is the best during that period.

Freaky Friday

Horford’s career high for points in a game is 34, which he has achieved twice. He most recently did it on a Friday the 13th in December 2013 (34 points and 15 rebounds for the Hawks versus the Wizards). Perhaps history will repeat itself on this Friday the 13th.

Hawks players to watch: Paul Millsap, Thabo Sefolosha and Dwight Howard

Millsap scored 31 points and grabbed 16 rebounds in his last game against the Celtics (April 9, 2016 at Boston). It is the only game of Millsap’s NBA career in which he produced more than 30 points and more than 15 rebounds.

The Hawks' defense is led by a pair of versatile defenders in Millsap and Sefolosha. Each ranks among the NBA’s top 10 in defensive real plus-minus.

Sefolosha has long been known as a top defender, and his presence in the lineup has produced strong team results. With Kyle Korver traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers, Sefolosha is now a full-time starter. In the 20 games in which he has started, the Hawks have won 14. They are 8-10 in games that he has not started. For Millsap's part, he defends 15.7 FGA PG, which is the third-most in the NBA. He has held opponents to 45.8 percent shooting on those attempts.

Howard has posted 10 double-doubles in his last 11 games. During that stretch, he has averaged 14.6 RPG and shot 63.1 percent from the floor. Howard is having a solid first season in Atlanta. He's shooting a career-best 63.2 percent from the floor, and his 13.4 RPG are his highest since his final season in Orlando (2012-13).

I don't see Thomas attacking the rim as much tonight with Dwight in the box.  I think defense has to stay in front of him tonight and make him a jump shooter.  

I don't have a huge issue with Horford honestly. He did a lot of good for the team. But I do have an issue with the Celtics. They are literally the one NBA team I can't stand. Why did he have to go to Boston...

2 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Thomas and that 4th quarter killed them. Bud should have put Dennis on Thomas

We had momentum till Baze came back in.  I was so happy we resigned him but it has been a major mistake.  17.5 mil a year for hot garbage.  He got paid.  

Just now, usmcdirtybird said:

We had momentum till Baze came back in.  I was so happy we resigned him but it has been a major mistake.  17.5 mil a year for hot garbage.  He got paid.  

Man ain't that the truth. Dude is straight garbage right now. Well maybe he needs to sit on the bench for a while until he he gets his sh1t together.

I hate continuing to harp on it, but no Horford really hurts in ways that y'all don't recognize. And there's this (by me):

When the Hawks were playing their starting lineup and other normal lineups they play, any plays that were actually ran inside on offense got taken away really easily. I remember one play in which I knew for sure it was a play that was supposed to get Howard an easy layup at the rim but Horford recognized the play and easily took it away from Howard. There was actually another play that Horford recognized that was supposed to be a lob to Dwight but Millsap was able to adjust and hit a layup.

And no, dumping the ball in the post to Howard, unless it's a play in which he can just turn and shoot is not the answer to this.

This is going to be the story against good teams unless guys that can't shoot well shoot well for the game. When the Hawks were playing their starting lineup, there was no spacing and it was a major struggle to even be able to run a play due to this. When the Hawks were playing lineups that had more shooters that had to be respected, the offense flowed better, and then there was more hustle in the second half with the subs.

Bud is not going to do as bad of a job as he did last night with coaching all of the time but this is a horrible matchup for Howard and Sefolosha and it's not great for Schroder either. Schroder is going to play much better than he did last night when his head is in it but Boston can constantly throw great defenders against him (their depth with defenders is even better than the Spurs or Golden State).

Edited by VoiceofReason95
Forever Julian likes this

Again we lost by 2.. with a blown call before half on the goaltending.. to sit here and pretend like we weren't able to compete to try to promote ones agenda is ludicrous.. 

jayu70 likes this