What if signed Kewann Short in free agency?

And also drafted another DT and DE in the first two rounds. Defensive line goes from kind of a weakness to a strength (and we weaken a division rival). We put Short and Jarrett in the middle. Back them up with a late first found pick. Clayborn and Beasley on the coutside (also Shelby and the second rounder). Maybe sprinkle in a free agent value linebacker or two to play with Jones and Campbell. That's a very good defense.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think we're in a great position to sign at least one proven guy at a position of need this offseason. Personally, I would like to see us go after a proven Safety such as Eric Berry, then keep building the Dline through the draft. But if we sign a proven Dlineman you wouldn't see me complaining! I'm all for doing whatever will make us a better team. 

54 minutes ago, Cole World said:

I would say it won't happen. Carolina has more money than us to spend in FA, so unless Gettleman is looking for another gig he will resign him and Mario Addison.

I'll take Charles Johnson on a cheap 2/3 year deal.

Yeah they have more money than us by a large margin, but they have more holes than us by a large margin as well. DT isn't one of those holes.  Carolina has to fix that Oline....I mean seriously invest in tackles. They have WRs, but nothing special. The RB stuart is good, but always hurt. The secondary is weak. They have issues. Not saying they won't keep him. But they have more pressing needs. Johnson?? No thanks. He is just ok at this point. 

14 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

Yeah they have more money than us by a large margin, but they have more holes than us by a large margin as well. DT isn't one of those holes.  Carolina has to fix that Oline....I mean seriously invest in tackles. They have WRs, but nothing special. The RB stuart is good, but always hurt. The secondary is weak. They have issues. Not saying they won't keep him. But they have more pressing needs. Johnson?? No thanks. He is just ok at this point. 

Johnson would be a upgrade to Jackson.

At Jackson current salary 4.5M he has 5 tackles, 0 sacks, and 1 QB hurry in 15 games played. At Johnson one year contract for 3M he has 14 tackles, 4 sacks, and 9 QB hurries in 13 games played. Johnson can play the run and give you pass rush as well. 

I still would draft Derek Barnett or Solomon Thomas in the first.

1 minute ago, Anthony Planet said:

Signing Short would give us the push in the middle, and allow Grady Jarret the ability to have more one on ones. Short's stats would probably go down, but it would improve us greatly.

They can't afford to go down any more than they have this season from last.

2 minutes ago, Anthony Planet said:

Signing Short would give us the push in the middle, and allow Grady Jarret the ability to have more one on ones. Short's stats would probably go down, but it would improve us greatly.

His stats have already gone down. He's going to the highest bidder and then will never be heard from again. Ala Byron Maxwell, Julian Thomas, Haynesworth, etc

Just now, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Gotta love the Random, Let's pick a DL in the late first round talk, when no one knows who will be the BPA at that time.

Like that is a plug and play spot.

I hear you. But we do need to know the status of Tyson Jackson, Shelby and if Babs will be back. I still think we need a great DT to make this a top 10 defense.

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

His stats have already gone down. He's going to the highest bidder and then will never be heard from again. Ala Byron Maxwell, Julian Thomas, Haynesworth, etc

That's always a concern. I do think that this front office will shy away from big free agent signings and really try to build through the draft and 'plan B' free agents.

1 minute ago, Anthony Planet said:

I hear you. But we do need to know the status of Tyson Jackson, Shelby and if Babs will be back. I still think we need a great DT to make this a top 10 defense.

NEED and what's AVAILABLE is two different things. Folks have cried about how we Reached for Hageman, that very thing could(and are more than likely would) happen again with this thought process.

I to agree, I would love to see another DL, either DE or DT, come in here but IF the best guy on the board is a LB or Safety or OL those could help us as well and we would get value for our pick.