Thoughts on guys not playing in bowl games

isproab

Sorry if already posted. I'm watching Louisville and LSU and earlier the announcers were debating.  Just wondering how everyone feels about it and it will be interesting how the Falcons and others view it.

Personally, I don't think the playoff has anything to do with it.  Its all about economics.  Despite how much former players want to talk about how much of a team sport the game is.  It all comes down to economics and what guys have to lose.  This didn't start to become a thing until Jaylon Smith got hurt last year.  

I think if you are not healthy you shouldn't play.  Especially if you are not going to do the team any good.  We have all seen the guys try to go in the big game and they get 1 or 2 plays in a series and they are done.  I don't think saying ahead of time "i'm out" is a bad thing.  

If a guys was totally healthy, I understand how the NFL will perceive it, but I don't think I could honestly blame him.  I don't think any individual that works a job and finds another better paying gig really cares about what folks at the old job will think.  Sure they may have some reservations, but if you decide to pull the trigger, its all about bettering your situation.  The threat to these guys is real, so I don't blame them them if they have been fortunate enough to make it to the door step of their dream and they want to shut it down.  On another note there are too many bowl games.  There are over 30 outside of the playoffs.  Do we really need 60 something teams to play a final game for our entertainment?  How about we cut that to maybe 15 or 20 games?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for it. No point in putting yourself in a one sided position in any point in life. There is nothing to gain and everything to lose for guys like Fournette and McCaffrey.

Think about doing something for your job and there are two outcomes: do it correctly and gain nothing (as in no paycheck) or do it incorrectly and lose everything. 

Doesn't sound like a fair deal. If players were getting paid, then I'd feel a little different. But college players are delaying compensation for a massive windfall from the NFL. Look at how much Jaylon lost from playing in a meaningless bowl game. The NCAA didn't lose anything. The fans didn't lose anything. There is only one party that was negatively affected and that was Jaylon and nobody is lining up to pay him a cent for the income he lost. 

There is nothing left to prove. You know Fournette is a stud. Does him having a poor bowl game change that? Nope. But does him blowing his knee out in said bowl game change if you pick him in the first round? You bet every red cent you have it does. 

Look at Charles Walker. He left Oklahoma early to prep for the NFL. Everybody jumped on his back as "quitting on his team". Yet, nobody talked about the fact that he's suffered multiple concussions and risking another one was a major threat to his dream of making it to the NFL and cashing in on that delayed compensation that he does not get in college. One more concussion for Walker and he probably goes undrafted. That's not quitting on your team. That's making a calculated decision for personal gain. We all do it. It's only a problem when those we use for our entertainment do it. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

I'm all for it. No point in putting yourself in a one sided position in any point in life. There is nothing to gain and everything to lose for guys like Fournette and McCaffrey.

Think about doing something for your job and there are two outcomes: do it correctly and gain nothing (as in no paycheck) or do it incorrectly and lose everything. 

Doesn't sound like a fair deal. If players were getting paid, then I'd feel a little different. But college players are delaying compensation for a massive windfall from the NFL. Look at how much Jaylon lost from playing in a meaningless bowl game. The NCAA didn't lose anything. The fans didn't lose anything. There is only one party that was negatively affected and that was Jaylon and nobody is lining up to pay him a cent for the income he lost. 

There is nothing left to prove. You know Fournette is a stud. Does him having a poor bowl game change that? Nope. But does him blowing his knee out in said bowl game change if you pick him in the first round? You bet every red cent you have it does. 

Look at Charles Walker. He left Oklahoma early to prep for the NFL. Everybody jumped on his back as "quitting on his team". Yet, nobody talked about the fact that he's suffered multiple concussions and risking another one was a major threat to his dream of making it to the NFL and cashing in on that delayed compensation that he does not get in college. One more concussion for Walker and he probably goes undrafted. That's not quitting on your team. That's making a calculated decision for personal gain. We all do it. It's only a problem when those we use for our entertainment do it. 

All good points... also think they should do away with minimum time out of high school for college guys before they go pro. 

29 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Selfish. Mcaffery is not like his dad. I label these kids high maintenance Drama Queens. Pass! 

I don't know about that man. Ed had one of the nastier injuries with that broken leg on a Monday night game. He knows full well that you're only one game away from your career being over. If they were in the college playoffs I'd probably feel a little different about it but not a bowl game.

Just now, Jpowers said:

I don't know about that man. Ed had one of the nastier injuries with that broken leg on a Monday night game. He knows full well that you're only one game away from your career being over. If they were in the college playoffs I'd probably feel a little different about it but not a bowl game.

Jp, respectfully disagree. Every time a player practices he risks injury. If I am a scout I wanna see kids perform with other blue chip kids in social/team interaction. 

4 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

That's my only thing. Play for the playoffs. That's a chance for the ultimate prize in college. BUT! If you have one of these worthless bowls, f*ck that! Go train. 

1 minute ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Jp, respectfully disagree. Every time a player practices he risks injury. If I am a scout I wanna see kids perform with other blue chip kids in social/team interaction. 

Three years of film vs one game? By this point, you already know what you know about the kids sitting out. One bowl game isn't changing that or you are a poor scout. 

Just now, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

I read that it rubbed some scouts the wrong way but he's already got enough tape out there for scouts to watch. I'll be surprised if it affects where he'll be drafted. I'm guessing you'll see this more and more often. Whether we want to believe it or not it's a business and they are putting millions of dollars on the line everytime they play. It's easy to disagree with them when it's not your millions on the line. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Three years of film vs one game? By this point, you already know what you know about the kids sitting out. One bowl game isn't changing that or you are a poor scout. 

Vel, again I disagree and I know you know football. This mentality means kids will start sitting out games if they're a first round prospect. Team building and sacrifice. If I am a scout I can never have enough data. I wanna know my coach is getting a team player not a drama queen.

6 minutes ago, vel said:

That's my only thing. Play for the playoffs. That's a chance for the ultimate prize in college. BUT! If you have one of these worthless bowls, f*ck that! Go train. 

When you think about it, kind of like the pro bowl.  How many guys pull out due to injury?  I'm sure some of the young guys want the experience and maybe the extra money.  At some point, it's not worth it.  

8 minutes ago, vel said:

I was listening to Freeman being interviewed a week or so back and they asked him about this very thing. He pretty much said the same thing we are here and I don't think there is a person here who can question how competitive Devonta is. 

It's just a business decision for those guys slotted to go in the 1st.

Just now, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Vel, again I disagree and I know you know football. This mentality means kids will start sitting out games if they're a first round prospect. Team building and sacrifice. If I am a scout I can never have enough data. I wanna know my coach is getting a team player not a drama queen.

You're not thinking from a player perspective. If the player gets hurt playing against those blue chip prospects and is a team player, are you still taking him in the first round even if he may never be the same player again? Just answer that question for me. 

That's the primary problem with the argument against players sitting out. You're not thinking from the players' perspective. Only from the coach, scout, etc perspective. Or "the people who use the players". They wouldn't pay that young man any lost compensation for getting injured being a "team player". That's a bunch of bull. 

1 minute ago, isproab said:

When you think about it, kind of like the pro bowl.  How many guys pull out due to injury?  I'm sure some of the young guys want the experience and maybe the extra money.  At some point, it's not worth it.  

Exactly. Players skip the Pro Bowl, go and barely play any snaps, or play and halfass because there is nothing to gain from "balling out in the Pro Bowl". 

5 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

So what do you tell a guy like Jaylon Smith? Top 10 talent before he jacked that knee up. He lost millions of dollars for what exactly?

2 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

I was listening to Freeman being interviewed a week or so back and they asked him about this very thing. He pretty much said the same thing we are here and I don't think there is a person here who can question how competitive Devonta is. 

It's just a business decision for those guys slotted to go in the 1st.

Exactly. I never advocate for people taking such one sided risks. I work in finance. That's my career. Only an idiot would take such a risk for zero gain. Nobody does it in their lives but for some reason these young men choosing not to do it is a problem. 

I couldn't imagine my job telling me "Hey, this week we're not going to pay you any more money but we need you to do your job as good as you normally do and do another guy's job while he's out. Do it for the company. If you don't, then we'll fire you." 

I totally understand it but if I am running an NFL team it would give me pause. What does this player do in his contract year when the playoffs are on the line? Does he go to war with his team mates or does he protect his bank account? They would have no place in this team, I can almost guarantee that. That's not brotherhood. I get why they would do it and I get why an NFL team wouldn't want that on their team.