Will #44 (Walker) from FSU be on the board when the Falcons pick?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

Should be. I think he's a good football player, but he's lacking a lot of pass rushing traits. Wouldn't spend a first on him, ceiling is not that high and he's a bit of a tweener. Like I said though, good college player.

I hear ya and i sorta agree, but at the same time I try not to get caught up on the tweener tag. The kid is the DPOY in the ACC. Last person to have both those labels turned out pretty well for us. 

I think he's a good fit here. I've been eyeing him as the pick all year but after going back  and watching the tape I'm less impressed. He's really good with his hands but isn't all that explosive. Solomon  Thomas is a more explosive athlete at the same position. They are the two guys I want in the first. I will say this though. Unlike a lot of guys who have been given the "next Michael Bennett" label, I think he might really end up deserving it

Edited by Colin_Pernett

6 minutes ago, GTFalcon25 said:

Such important things to think about. Will some guy be available whenever it is we might pick in 4 months? 

Ask this question in 3.5 months. 

My man, it's just convo. If you don't like the topic, you're not obligated to respond or pay it any attn. 

Guys been asking about what to do about possible OL upgrades all season, nothing wrong with looking towards the future and having a discussion. None of it takes away from any of us knowing we have a big game coming up on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, uga_falcons_braves said:

I hear ya and i sorta agree, but at the same time I try not to get caught up on the tweener tag. The kid is the DPOY in the ACC. Last person to have both those labels turned out pretty well for us. 

I only get caught up in the tweener/undersized aspect when there is not a specific dominant trait. I loved Beasley and Aaron Donald coming out, had top 10 grades on them despite them being somewhat smaller than average. However, they were dominant, and had rare/elite quickness and explosion. I don't see anything like that with Walker. He's too small to kick inside (as a run defender anyway), and he's not bendy or twitchy enough to be on the edge. Like I said I don't think he's horrible or anything, I just don't know where to put him in our scheme. I am actually coming around to him.

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

After the Stanford/UNC game, I'd be giddy if we could snag Solomon Thomas. Kid beasted out.

I was working during that game and just watched my recording of it to watch him and he blew me away. He was already my favorite possibility in the first round but he definitely is now. He just got a spotlight on him he didn't have before though. He might not be there at 32.

2 hours ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

He's a Stanford kid. Seriously doubt he'll declare. Degree first. I could be wrong. I thought Goff should have stayed one more year at Cal to try and win some big games and polish. 

Smart kids make smart decisions. The players in the top 2 rounds will declare, the borderline ones may not. But after Stanford's QB shredded his ACL tonight, I doubt anybody on the team who was undecided would end up coming back.

Who knows though, I always cheered on Cal...

3 hours ago, A-TowN.- said:

I only get caught up in the tweener/undersized aspect when there is not a specific dominant trait. I loved Beasley and Aaron Donald coming out, had top 10 grades on them despite them being somewhat smaller than average. However, they were dominant, and had rare/elite quickness and explosion. I don't see anything like that with Walker. He's too small to kick inside (as a run defender anyway), and he's not bendy or twitchy enough to be on the edge. Like I said I don't think he's horrible or anything, I just don't know where to put him in our scheme. I am actually coming around to him.

I haven't watched him, but it sounds a lot like someone who would fit our strong side DE role (5 tech). 

8 hours ago, Colin_Pernett said:

I think he's a good fit here. I've been eyeing him as the pick all year but after going back  and watching the tape I'm less impressed. He's really good with his hands but isn't all that explosive. Solomon  Thomas is a more explosive athlete at the same position. They are the two guys I want in the first. I will say this though. Unlike a lot of guys who have been given the "next Michael Bennett" label, I think he might really end up deserving it

Me too. I've been watching him a lot as of late, and I love his tenacity, he's strong, but as you put it he's not overly explosive or really athletic. But he does have outstanding technique. I'm wondering if it's a weight thing. He's listed at 280, but looks a more like 295ish. To clarify the weight comment, I wonder if he's one of those college athletes that really blossom under NFL diet and fitness regimen. He wouldn't be the first kid that's happens too. But I also love his thick frame and stoutness. Michael Bennett, early years, kinda comes to mind. A guy who once in the NFL really gained a lot of explosiveness as his body improved.

if you check out Bennett's draft scouting reports you see the "tweener" label, not bulky enough for interior, not athletic enough for DE..etc...but reading Walkers pre-draft reports you can also see even amateur scouts view tweeners like Walker differently at least partially due to Bennetts success. Walker and Bennett have very similar pre-draft measurables. It'll be interesting to see Walker at the combine.

but, personally, I like Solomon Thomas.Not as long as Walker, but he is so explosive. I would not cry if we picked either

He won't be there when we pick unless we trade up.. What I love about Quinn and TD , just like last year and in the draft.. They peg the players we need ! And go get them!! even if we do have to trade up.. I'm more sure that they will this year more than last ,, Because we only need about 8 more top players to make us the most talented team in the NFL.. We're close right now. So trade up in the first and get that other DE we need.. there are several great ones this next draft. And after the draft get the players in FAcy that we don't get in the draft.. 

Personally I love getting proven OL and DL in Facy,, But you have to draft the pass rushers because no one will let the good ones go.. So I agree we should draft another DE in Round one. About 3 really great DEs this year will be there even if we do need to trade up for one. We should do that.

22 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Me too. I've been watching him a lot as of late, and I love his tenacity, he's strong, but as you put it he's not overly explosive or really athletic. But he does have outstanding technique. I'm wondering if it's a weight thing. He's listed at 280, but looks a more like 295ish. To clarify the weight comment, I wonder if he's one of those college athletes that really blossom under NFL diet and fitness regimen. He wouldn't be the first kid that's happens too. But I also love his thick frame and stoutness. Michael Bennett, early years, kinda comes to mind. A guy who once in the NFL really gained a lot of explosiveness as his body improved.

if you check out Bennett's draft scouting reports you see the "tweener" label, not bulky enough for interior, not athletic enough for DE..etc...but reading Walkers pre-draft reports you can also see even amateur scouts view tweeners like Walker differently at least partially due to Bennetts success. Walker and Bennett have very similar pre-draft measurables. It'll be interesting to see Walker at the combine.

but, personally, I like Solomon Thomas.Not as long as Walker, but he is so explosive. I would not cry if we picked either

I agree.  I see a lot of Michael Bennett in Walker.  

Draftnut, you know more about the draft than me, but I am getting the feeling that Walker will be available in the late first round.  I don't think that he will impress at the Combine and his Tweener status will make a lot of teams wary of taking him in the first.  

I like Walker's tenacity and I think he has the physical talent to do well in the NFL.  Honestly, I think he is another Michael Bennett.  

I also think that there will be other DL candidates that are ideal for our defense.  I am just starting my annual draft research, Caleb Brantley is another interior guy that I am liking.  

4 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I agree.  I see a lot of Michael Bennett in Walker.  

Honestly, I think getting a base DE that can rotate inside is much more of a priority than getting another EDGE guy or true DT in this draft. When Clayborn is healthy he really changes the pass rushing dynamic and run defense dramatically in a positive manner. He just struggles with injuries and is a guy that you need to rotate.

i do, however, think we need another speedy EDGE/LEO type in the draft , but I think we can find those beyond RD. 1. That tweener DE/DT type who's explosive is so hard to find. I noticed the Seahawks gave Bennett a new contract to keep him happy lol

Walker had 16.0 sacks this year in 13 games. 10.5 sacks in 13 games last year. 26.5 sacks in his last 26 games. That's pretty freaking impressive iyam.

Definitely looking forward to see him test at the combine. He's a really big dude at 6'4 280 so he'd be an absolutely ideal base end for us if the team officials are as jaded about Derrick Shelby as I am at this point.

8 hours ago, A-TowN.- said:

You don't think he's an ideal base end for us? LDE in the base D, 3 tech in nickel? Seems perfect to me.