First Round Bye - Benefits and opponents

DCBird33

I am sure you all realize that the importance of Sunday's finale is near-impossible to exaggerate. A win against the Saints basically serves as two wins, because it advances us beyond the wildcard round, and gives us the added bonus of a second round home date and the all important bye week which could allow some players to regain some health. One of the items that may not have been so clearly put out there, however, is the fact that a win keeps us out of any poor weather that could hinder our potent offense, which will be vital to any success we may or may not have. Playing a second round game in Seattle would be unsettling, simply because of the weather factor, in my opinion. The Seahawks defense definitely has been hurt by injuries and general struggles recently, but in that stadium, with some sort of the weather to deal with, the playing field would be very much leveled for their team. I welcome seeing them in the Dome, and I think we would succeed in that matchup, should we play a solid game. On the road, I am not so sure. 

Secondly, everyone talks about the possibility of the Falcons - Cowboys matchup and how those two teams stack up, while at the same time talking about the scariness of the Packers led by Aaron Rodgers. I, for one, would actually prefer the Packers coming to Atlanta (should we be fortunate enough to advance) instead of the Falcons traveling to Dallas. While there is certainly well-documented evidence of what Aaron Rodgers can do in a playoff game in Atlanta, I feel like the style of game the Packers would want to play actually better suits this particular Falcons team. A game in Dallas could turn into the grinding, run-heavy, time-consuming game in which the Falcons offense never gets the chance to gain a rhythm. Similar to the Eagles game earlier in the year, in my opinion. The bottom line is, the Falcons have a great opportunity in front of them. An opportunity on Sunday to clinch a #2 seed and First Round Bye. An opportunity to host a playoff game in the Georgia Dome, regardless of the round. An opportunity to navigate through an NFC which doesn't feature any team that they absolutely, positively, would not have an chance to compete well with or in fact beat. Hopefully they embrace and seize these opportunities as best they can, and we all can have a fun (and likely nerve-racking) month of January!

Edited by DCBird33
spelling

You make solid points.  I never really thought of it the way you put it "beating saints on sunday is like winning two games" - but you are right - you advsnce to 2nd round of playoffs without playing a down plus the 2nd round game is a home game vs. going on the road.   On top of that,  in that 2nd rd, you win that game and at least a decent chance that some team like Packers goes into Dallas and dispatches the Cowboys.

Simply put, if the Falcons truly have designs on a SB appearance, then winning a home game versus a Saints team with a below .500 record should be a requirement.   While the Falcons certainly could go all the way as a #3 or #4 seed, the odds go waay down.

Not to mention the recovery aspect of things.  Allowing our guys to lick their wounds and rest up while their upcoming opponents have to grind and fight is absolutely huge, especially considering how players are dropping like flies this year.  Having two BYE's during one season is a big big deal.

1 hour ago, DCBird33 said:

I am sure you all realize that the importance of Sunday's finale is near-impossible to exaggerate. A win against the Saints basically serves as two wins, because it advances us beyond the wildcard round, and gives us the added bonus of a second round home date and the all important bye week which could allow some players to regain some health. One of the items that may not have been so clearly put out there, however, is the fact that a win keeps us out of any poor weather that could hinder our potent offense, which will be vital to any success we may or may not have. Playing a second round game in Seattle would be unsettling, simply because of the weather factor, in my opinion. The Seahawks defense definitely has been hurt by injuries and general struggles recently, but in that stadium, with some sort of the weather to deal with, the playing field would be very much leveled for their team. I welcome seeing them in the Dome, and I think we would succeed in that matchup, should we play a solid game. On the road, I am not so sure. 

Secondly, everyone talks about the possibility of the Falcons - Cowboys matchup and how those two teams stack up, while at the same time talking about the scariness of the Packers led by Aaron Rodgers. I, for one, would actually prefer the Packers coming to Atlanta (should we be fortunate enough to advance) instead of the Falcons traveling to Dallas. While there is certainly well-documented evidence of what Aaron Rodgers can do in a playoff game in Atlanta, I feel like the style of game the Packers would want to play actually better suits this particular Falcons team. A game in Dallas could turn into the grinding, run-heavy, time-consuming game in which the Falcons offense never gets the chance to gain a rhythm. Similar to the Eagles game earlier in the year, in my opinion. The bottom line is, the Falcons have a great opportunity in front of them. An opportunity on Sunday to clinch a #2 seed and First Round Bye. An opportunity to host a playoff game in the Georgia Dome, regardless of the round. An opportunity to navigate through an NFC which doesn't feature any team that they absolutely, positively, would not have an chance to compete well with or in fact beat. Hopefully they embrace and seize these opportunities as best they can, and we all can have a fun (and likely nerve-racking) month of January!

Nice write up DC Bird,   good points , u should take Dleds job. 

15 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

You make solid points.  I never really thought of it the way you put it "beating saints on sunday is like winning two games" - but you are right - you advsnce to 2nd round of playoffs without playing a down plus the 2nd round game is a home game vs. going on the road.   On top of that,  in that 2nd rd, you win that game and at least a decent chance that some team like Packers goes into Dallas and dispatches the Cowboys.

Simply put, if the Falcons truly have designs on a SB appearance, then winning a home game versus a Saints team with a below .500 record should be a requirement.   While the Falcons certainly could go all the way as a #3 or #4 seed, the odds go waay down.

If we win we're locked into the 2nd seed.

I agree with you OP, but my mindset is that if you want to win the Superbowl then you have to be able to handle your business in the playoffs. So I just don't care whether we are the 2nd seed or not.  

Yes, its theoretically an easier road if we get the 2nd seed, but at the end of the day you still have to line up 11 on 11 and win.  Unlike 2012 where we had no real marquee wins this year we went to Denver and won, we beat the Saints on the Anniversary of one of the biggest games in their franchise history, and we dispatched the Panthers and Cam Newton twice in dominating fashion.

That is a **** of a season to hang your hat on.  So if we somehow lose Sunday I'm not worried about who or where we will play.  I think this team is talented enough to overcome the conditions in Seattle and Green Bay.

In 2012 I was happy to have home field advantage because we needed it to make noise in the playoffs.  I don't think it matters this year. 

That said I hope they embarrass the Saints, because its the Saints.

16 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I would rather play Dallas than GB but that's just me. If we can make one or two stops against the cowboys, I don't think they can keep up in a track meet. Rodgers is basically never out of the game until the clock hits 0:00

This is absolutely a fair point. I am certainly not assuming that playing the Packers would be a walk in the park. To be honest, I would not mind the Redskins winning Sunday and the Lions finding a way to deny GB a spot in the playoffs all together. Not that it matters, but I think GB not making the playoffs would actually shift some MVP votes to Ryan from Rodgers as well. 

I think I just feel confident enough in our team that I would prefer the home environment, for whatever additional boost that could provide our defense (and lack of noise for our OL, which has had false start issues at times this season). 

20 minutes ago, DCBird33 said:

This is absolutely a fair point. I am certainly not assuming that playing the Packers would be a walk in the park. To be honest, I would not mind the Redskins winning Sunday and the Lions finding a way to deny GB a spot in the playoffs all together. Not that it matters, but I think GB not making the playoffs would actually shift some MVP votes to Ryan from Rodgers as well. 

I think I just feel confident enough in our team that I would prefer the home environment, for whatever additional boost that could provide our defense (and lack of noise for our OL, which has had false start issues at times this season). 

All true but a road game at Jerrys world isn't as much of a task as going to green bay or Seattle.... 

An MVP for Ryan does matter though, no matter what some of these guys say. An Atlanta Falcon has never won one... It's not an either or proposition with a super bowl but he deserves it and it matters if he wins it. 

20 hours ago, DCBird33 said:

Well said, well written and very pertinent.