The perfect NT for OUR system

datchrisb1

4 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

Don't get me wrong Grady Jarrett is a beast right now at NT for us in my opinion. I just still think he could be better moving him back to under tackle. Jaleel Johnson is exactly what we want at nose as far as what we do and require there.

Yeah I am really high on Johnson. Fantastic hand usage, strong, lengthy. Not overly athletic but he gets the job done. 

Johnson is nice, but he needs to get better against the run. 

Edit: Oklahoma State Vincent Taylor is a sleeper. 

Vincent Taylor, DT, Oklahoma State

When a nose tackle leads his team in tackles for loss (12) and sacks (six), you know he's talented. Taylor is a load, so you'd think that he was a two-down player. But his strength against double teams belies his agility and hustle to split them to provide pressure when quarterbacks hold onto the ball for too long. The Buffaloes had better block Taylor in this bowl game, or he'll cause issues up the middle.

Taylor had good numbers last season too as a sophomore (5 sacks & 9 TFL's).

Edited by fourty4

37 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

why are y'all trying to move Jarrett? He played NT at Clemson and he's playing great at NT for us. We need to draft a 3 tech, not move Jarrett to a position he isn't used to and draft a NT.

I agree with you 99.999999% in that it's not something that is necessary. Jarrett is stout at nose for sure. He could stay at the position and we could get a 3 tech, I just rather see him at 3, but you are 99.999999% correct on the fact that Jarrett is balling at nose. If it ain't broke don't fix it, yeah your right.

Your wrong regarding him going to a position he's not use to at 3.  Jarrett has the skill set for a 3 technique, the only difference between the nose and 3 is where there lined up and the requirements. Jarrett just fits the requirements of both. He's built like a fire hydrant so he stout against the run because he wins in leverage, low man wins, he's quick and has the hands to play 3.

Edited by datchrisb1

Just now, datchrisb1 said:

the only difference between the nose and 3 is where there lined up and the requirements.

so, literally everything about the position. Yeah, that's my point. Grady has been a NT since college. We need a 3 tech and if you look at Quinn's history he likes his 3 techs to be tall, long, quick, and disruptive, not short and stout like Grady.

41 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

why are y'all trying to move Jarrett? He played NT at Clemson and he's playing great at NT for us. We need to draft a 3 tech, not move Jarrett to a position he isn't used to and draft a NT.

Players get moved around in the NFL all the time compared to their position in college so that isn't the best argument.

As for Jarrett, he played 3-tech during his rookie season and was moved to NT for this season since, frankly speaking, we have no one else who can play there remotely effectively. However, he's at his best when his main task is to get into the backfield and be disruptive that way. That's basically the entire task of a 3-tech DT so you can maybe understand why people see his best fit being there.

He could stay at 1-tech to go along with getting a new 3-tech and I wouldn't mind, but I would like it more if he moved to 3-tech and we got someone like Johnson to take over 1-tech duties. That would make for a top notch starting interior duo.

10 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

so, literally everything about the position. Yeah, that's my point. Grady has been a NT since college. We need a 3 tech and if you look at Quinn's history he likes his 3 techs to be tall, long, quick, and disruptive, not short and stout like Grady.

Dude I already acknowledged your point. I said you were right. Acknowledge mine, he can play the 3 technique. He has the skill set to do so. You sitting here saying he CAN'T is very disrespectful to him and his game.

What long tall 3 technique Quinn liked are you talking about?

2 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

Dude I already acknowledged your point. I said you were right. Acknowledge mine, he can play the 3 technique. He has the skill set to do so. You sitting here saying he CAN'T is very disrespectful to him and his game.

I'm trying to figure that out too. I think he likes the shorter guys TBH. Which is why I like Stacy McGee in FA.

Jarrett can play both 1-tech and 3-tech at a good enough level. He's a bit of an oddball because his measurables are more suited to play 3-tech but his actual skillset is belonging to more of a 1-tech. 

I think the Falcons should get 2 high profile interior guys. One in FA, one with a premium draft pick. The FA class is loaded with interior DL. Having 3 good interior DL would help the D tremendously and they will all see a good share of snaps.

On December 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM, datchrisb1 said:

That's what I was wondering. Tony 'McDaniel and Red Bryant were the longest guys and neither remotely played the 3 Tech. Jordan hill was one. He's 6'1" 290ish and fast as well. Clinton MCDONALD rotated in at the 3 Tech spot and he's another 6'2" (barely) sub 300 guy and we lol know about Bennett moving inside, but he's a DE in the purest sense.

as far as NTs, most of the Seattle guys were in that 320-330 range. Mebane was a lot more stout than Grady. Jesse Williams, who unfortunately had his career derailed by injuries, was a behemoth at 340ish.

i have no clue who he's referring, too. 

But on topic again, I'm not sure why it'd surprise anyone to see DQ add a beefier NT via FA or draft and move the disruptive Jarrett to the 3 Tech permanently. In fact, I could see Jarrett really excell in that role and end up in that 6-8 sack territory 

5 hours ago, MSalmon said:

That's what I was wondering. Tony 'McDaniel and Red Bryant were the longest guys and neither remotely played the 3 Tech. Jordan hill was one. He's 6'1" 290ish and fast as well. Clinton MCDONALD rotated in at the 3 Tech spot and he's another 6'2" (barely) sub 300 guy and we lol know about Bennett moving inside, but he's a DE in the purest sense.

as far as NTs, most of the Seattle guys were in that 320-330 range. Mebane was a lot more stout than Grady. Jesse Williams, who unfortunately had his career derailed by injuries, was a behemoth at 340ish.

i have no clue who he's referring, too. 

But on topic again, I'm not sure why it'd surprise anyone to see DQ add a beefier NT via FA or draft and move the disruptive Jarrett to the 3 Tech permanently. In fact, I could see Jarrett really excell in that role and end up in that 6-8 sack territory 

Tony McDaniel did play predominately the 3 tech role. I think he's probably more the exception than the rule. Neither Pete Carroll or Quinn have said length is important at the 3 technique. What they are after are quick interior pass rushers. I also think Grady Jarrett goes against the grain in what they look for at the 1 tech.

Here's what Carroll had to say about the 2 roles:

"At Nose Tackle you have to find a player who likes to mix it up. We want a big guy in there who likes to get down and dirty. He is going to get doubled a lot on the run and pass and is going to get down blocked a lot. He has to be a tough player. This guy can be a short and stubby type of player."

On the Three-Technique: "The prime spot on the defense to the weak side is the B gap player. He is an inside-foot to outside-foot alignment on the offensive guard to his side. He is a 3 technique player. He has B gap control but he can't get reached or hooked by the defense due to the way we align him. The whole scheme of this defense is predicated upon not getting hooked."

"The 3 technique player should be your premier interior pass rusher. He is going to get a lot of one on one blocks as it is hard to double team him because of where he is lined up"

Link

• 3 weeks later...