11 minutes ago, lostone said:

I know people who have been doing software development for 20-30 years and they still suck at it.  Just because you have done something for awhile doesn't mean you're a sage.  You can also learn things from others perspective that differs from yours.  Do you have any literature from the home owners perspective DH?  I am not saying you aren't good at what you do, I am just saying that sometimes you have to open yourself to different ideas.  This election has taught me that especially with what I subconsciously knew about rural America 

Now see, lostone, this is a sensible question and dialogue. As for Homeowners perspective? 

I owned 15 homes at 1 time and I can use my own experience - Renting out my property's was a hit and miss proposition. I had a few Really good renters, but a few bad renters. The rental population, not section 8, are in their positions for a variety or reasons. Credit not good, young in school, in transitional period of life, military, divorce, etc. Pending on my own budget and personal time, I rented homes, units out to people and n General tried to give people a pass, a break. I'd say I had a n 80% good interaction and experience with MY homes.

Having built a property management company, leasing, listing others property's including 2 bedroom quads in not such good area's, I'd say it then became a nightmare.

The lower the rent, meant I was dealing with a lower end product and then certainly a lower end renter. It was the lower end renters that I found the real problems. If I was renting a duplex in an area where a bedroom goes for $450-$550, I was getting a lot of bogus applications, and even going out on a limb, I got burned at a 50% rate.

I managed a few Section 8 housing deals, and that is where I saw the worst of the worst. Child abuse, abject filth, crime, and living conditions not fit for humans. Each time a unit was to be rented, I would have to do a substantial rehab, carpet, sheetrock, paint, replace appliances, and the amounts of rent charged Never made up, or I should say, seldom made up for the damages, time spent dealing with Defacs, contractors and the Police. Section 8 was a nightmare. 

Edited by dirtyhairy
11 minutes ago, lostone said:

Oh, well that's interesting.

i wonder what percent of the problems are bad landlord vs bad renter?  How many contracts are good overall vs bad.  Anecdotes are nice, but mean little.  Why someone's trashes someone else's property pisses me off no matter the reason.  (That was for kicker)

It's both and neither.  It's infinitely more complicated than this.  In some cases, the landlords try to work with the tenants but the building codes force them dump them.  In other cases, the landlords don't fix repairs because the tenants made clear they were leaving and wouldn't pay the rent that month, so the landlords wait them out and look ahead to the next tenants.  In still other cases, the tenants tried to work off late rent by painting apartments and other work, but the landlords find cheaper laborers to do the work and can do a better job.  

This is the craziest thing that I've read in awhile and the author provides statistics and macro-economic facts to demonstrate the broader scope of the problem.  IOW, it's not just a bunch of anecdotes.

25 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

It's both and neither.  It's infinitely more complicated than this.  In some cases, the landlords try to work with the tenants but the building codes force them dump them.  In other cases, the landlords don't fix repairs because the tenants made clear they were leaving and wouldn't pay the rent that month, so the landlords wait them out and look ahead to the next tenants.  In still other cases, the tenants tried to work off late rent by painting apartments and other work, but the landlords find cheaper laborers to do the work and can do a better job.  

This is the craziest thing that I've read in awhile and the author provides statistics and macro-economic facts to demonstrate the broader scope of the problem.  IOW, it's not just a bunch of anecdotes.

Nice, backing up claims with macroeconomics. Now that's what I'm talking about!

1 hour ago, dirtyhairy said:

I came into a thread, that trout wants to tout as some huge bedwetting issue and Obviously, he knows nothing about the premise of the business, plight of the renter nor the owners, and puts forth a propoganda book that frankly, was written to move the emotional meter. I came in, I have extensive experience in this field and said a few things. 

You, as usual, along with our Yosemite Sam imposter Gritz, add nothing as usual but a snipe.  Image result

"Do as I say, but not as I do" 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Door Gunner said:

sorry it so long to get you an answer.  i finished it about two weeks ago. It was excellent, a bit depressing at times, but very informative. 

Glad you liked it, and yeah I've purposefully not talked about the most depressing part of it.  Don't want to give a "spoiler", if you will.  But it's crazy and is a subject that I never thought would be so fascinating.