Couldn't find one of the other "book" threads, so I'm dropping it here.

I just finished "Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City" and holy s***, this is something that everybody who wants to talk about political issues related to poverty and race needs to read.  The author lived in Milwaukee for an entire winter following about a dozen poor families as well as their landlords, tracking them through the process of eviction and their efforts to find new housing.  While that sounds boring as s***, it actually opens up a serious problem facing millions of people every month in America.  The people he followed ranged from white trailor park residents to inner-city black residents as well as the owner/managers of the properties.  He traces the housing laws and policies that allow slumlords to rent delapidated apartments (some don't even have basics like ovens or running water) to desperate residents and charge them rent that takes up 60-80% of their income.  

The book isn't just about the personal shame and hardships caused by it, but also about the serious perverse incentives underlying the entire system.  For example, tenants who are behind on rent can be evicted with a 48 hour notice.  Tenants who call the building inspectors to complain about dangerous or unfit conditions, in theory, can't be evicted in retaliation by their landlords.  But if they are behind on the rent...and some 50-75% of residents are behind on the rent...it creates a situation where landlords can retaliate by citing late payment instead of building complaints.  And that, in turn, can lead to situations where women who are victims of domestic abuse are forced to choose between calling the police to protect themselves (which can lead to property owners being cited for building violations if the police see them) or putting up with the abuse in order to stay in their run-down apartments or trailers.  

I don't often call a book "must-read", but this is one of those that I think covers a topic that has been occurring right under our noses and yet I've never seen it get discussed in the political discourse about poverty, education, and similar issues.

Does the book address both sides? Is it in depth analysis or a propaganda piece? (It's a legitimate concern because... trout).

Does it mention squatter's rights or that many tenants steal everything (including the copper wires in walls)? I've heard from both sides of this business and the only thing that remains constant is that both tenants and landlords feel like the victims.

9 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I used to do some volunteer landlord-tenant stuff downtown and saw a lot of these housing disputes up close. Awful situations across the board. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll throw that on the read list. 

I talked to a tenant who had to sue to get a HOLE in his bedroom fixed (could see sky), and a landlord who discovered the appliances (including ceiling fans,) toilets, and doorknobs missing.

56 minutes ago, Doozer said:

Does the book address both sides? Is it in depth analysis or a propaganda piece? (It's a legitimate concern because... trout).

F.U.

Does it mention squatter's rights or that many tenants steal everything (including the copper wires in walls)? I've heard from both sides of this business and the only thing that remains constant is that both tenants and landlords feel like the victims.

It does talk about both sides, but it ultimately is more sympathetic to the renters than the landlords.  It talks, for example, about the problems landlords have with tenants stealing power.  When tenants get caught, the landlord typically has to pay thousands in repairs to fix the wiring job.  It also talks about how landlords legitimately try to work with some tenants and have it blow up in their faces.  

The "Epilogue" is a little preachy and proposes some policy and political recommendations for addressing the problems.  But it sticks with telling the stories of the landlords and tenants, and talking about the big picture stuff, throughout the rest of the book.  I personally skipped through most of the epilogue and the discussion about housing being a fundamental right.  Just wasn't interested in that.  But it might be 5-8% of the book, at most.

21 hours ago, Doozer said:

I owned a property management company, hence sold it, and I can bypass this book. I can tell you so many renters lived above their means, tore up units, lied and in general was the reason I sold the business. There are plenty of tenants who knew how to play the system as well. Filing for bankruptcy was a way to stall, for months a dispossesion, and many of my owner clients lost property's themselves when a dirt bag tenant held onto a place for 4-6 months longer then the 3 month lapse period, then destroyed the place in the end. I routinely saw upwards of $20k in damage. I routinely saw dirty diapers on the floor, roaches all over kids, feces and excrement with babies crawling around. More then 1 time I got DEFACs involved and more then once I went to court as a witness to child abuse cases. 

Now, there are landlords who abuse the system as well. Luckly in Ga. we have strict laws in place to stop it.

Bottom line is Trout will spout off on this subject, like so many others, and his leanings are totally in a Fake News direction.

Don't waste your money on this book. I'll give it 1 pot, 1 pan as my review..

Edited by dirtyhairy
1 hour ago, dirtyhairy said:

I owned a property management company, hence sold it, and I can bypass this book. I can tell you so many renters lived above their means, tore up units, lied and in general was the reason I sold the business. There are plenty of tenants who knew how to play the system as well. Filing for bankruptcy was a way to stall, for months a dispossesion, and many of my owner clients lost property's themselves when a dirt bag tenant held onto a place for 4-6 months longer then the 3 month lapse period, then destroyed the place in the end. I routinely saw upwards of $20k in damage. I routinely saw dirty diapers on the floor, roaches all over kids, feces and excrement with babies crawling around. More then 1 time I got DEFACs involved and more then once I went to court as a witness to child abuse cases. 

Now, there are landlords who abuse the system as well. Luckly in Ga. we have strict laws in place to stop it.

Bottom line is Trout will spout off on this subject, like so many others, and his leanings are totally in a Fake News direction.

Don't you ***** about people coming in your threads and "not engaging in discussion?" Cause that's exactly what you just did. 

17 hours ago, dirtyhairy said:

So you just reviewed a book that you didn't read?

And you wonder why everyone thinks you're a joke. 

20 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

Don't you ***** about people coming in your threads and "not engaging in discussion?" Cause that's exactly what you just did. 

I came into a thread, that trout wants to tout as some huge bedwetting issue and Obviously, he knows nothing about the premise of the business, plight of the renter nor the owners, and puts forth a propoganda book that frankly, was written to move the emotional meter. I came in, I have extensive experience in this field and said a few things. 

You, as usual, along with our Yosemite Sam imposter Gritz, add nothing as usual but a snipe.  Image result

Edited by dirtyhairy
4 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

So you just reviewed a book that you didn't read?

And you wonder why everyone thinks you're a joke. 

Gee Gritz, does this mean you aren't coming over for New Years Pie? Hold on, let me yell to my wife that you'r not coming.

HONEY, GRITZ ISNT COMIN OVER TOMORROW....ALERT THE NEIGHBORS THAT THEY CAN LEAVE THEIR CATS OUT NOW.....

We all do wait with baited breath for our LIKE meter to get pressed by you Gritz. 

11 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

For those who want to take a sneak peak, Amazon, BarnesandNoble, and Itunes all provide free samples that include the Introductory chapter that gives an idea of what the book is about and how it's written.  

Maybe you can buy me 1 and send it to me as a Christmas present. Other then that, if it sells 500 copies, I'll be amazed.

I know people who have been doing software development for 20-30 years and they still suck at it.  Just because you have done something for awhile doesn't mean you're a sage.  You can also learn things from others perspective that differs from yours.  Do you have any literature from the home owners perspective DH?  I am not saying you aren't good at what you do, I am just saying that sometimes you have to open yourself to different ideas.  This election has taught me that especially with what I subconsciously knew about rural America 

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

It's also a New York Times best seller...so there's that. 

Oh, well that's interesting.

i wonder what percent of the problems are bad landlord vs bad renter?  How many contracts are good overall vs bad.  Anecdotes are nice, but mean little.  Why someone's trashes someone else's property pisses me off no matter the reason.  (That was for kicker)