Atlanta offseason scenario

Bigjmw084

Restructure:

Matt Ryan

Julio Jones

FA:

DE/DT:Callais Cambpell- An absolute beast who would fit perfectly at DE in base sets while eating O-linemans  lunch in nickel sets. We would have what quinn had in SEA with Bennett.

4yr 40mil

DT: Brandon Williams- 320lb DT who can shed tackles easily and dominate in the run game. One of the more underrated players in the league. Disruptive!

4yr 36mil

LEO: Jamaal Sheard- went from playing good last season to being in Belichecks doghouse the next. A change of scenery could get him back on track opposite side Beasley.

2yr 12mil

G: Luke Joeckel- while he never panned out at LT, he showed promise at G before he was lost for the season with knee injury. He would be well worth the risk. Reunite him with J.Mathews

3yr 16mil

Trade out of the first for an early 2nd(35-40) and 4th

2nd: Desmond King FS/CB

2nd: Montravious Adam's DT

3rd:Jaylen-Reeves Maybin LEO/OLB

4th:Cole Hikutini TE

4th:Chad Kelley QB

5th:James Connor RB/FB

6th:Greg Pyke G

7th: Joshua Dobbs WR project?

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Don't think we'll swing that hard for the fence in FA.

Also don't think we would dream of restructuring Jones or Ryan.

Caps not our issue.

I just think we need to keep drafting like we are.Stay mid tier in FA.

His FA signings aren't really huge. They're possible. I'm not sure Calais doesn't get extended though. If we did sign Calais (which I'd love), I could see us signing a couple guys like either Tony McDaniel or Tyson Alaua (msp?) for low level deals, instead of Williams.

Joeckel is interesting , as if he could stay healthy he could be a great guard in our scheme.

i doubt that we'd spend a 4th on a QB just yet. Matt will be 32 and showing little signs of decline--in fact he's gotten better.

his pick of King is interesting, as he could be really special as a FS

Who exactly is the one that is sniffing out this talent (Beasley, Collins, Neal, Jones, too much to list..) in the drafts?  I ask because I was under the impression that Thomas Dimitroff was on a leash and Dan Quinn was calling the shots.  I was bragging to my dad on how well Dan Quinn is doing and how bright the future looked if he keeps it up; however my father reminded me that Thomas Dimitroff was the General Manager.  Honestly I found his statement confusing and I don't know exactly what TD does.  I know "fast and physical" was a phrase Dan Quinn used frequently early on, but since taking over this has become this teams identity.

18 hours ago, james b said:

Who exactly is the one that is sniffing out this talent (Beasley, Collins, Neal, Jones, too much to list..) in the drafts?  I ask because I was under the impression that Thomas Dimitroff was on a leash and Dan Quinn was calling the shots.  I was bragging to my dad on how well Dan Quinn is doing and how bright the future looked if he keeps it up; however my father reminded me that Thomas Dimitroff was the General Manager.  Honestly I found his statement confusing and I don't know exactly what TD does.  I know "fast and physical" was a phrase Dan Quinn used frequently early on, but since taking over this has become this teams identity.

TD and co are sniffing out the talent.

What DQ has done is given him very accurate parameters to go about selecting that talent ie fast & physical.

By doing the above it basically has simplified the FO's job.

2 hours ago, james b said:

Thanks for the clarification,  I guess it goes to show how disconnected TD and CMS were at the end.  Regardless they have been knocking it out the park the last few drafts.  Thanks again.

I actually felt a little sorry for MS in the end.

I also think intervention from the owner and a glut of injuries to the skill players hurt MS big time those last 2 seasons.

The thing I didn't like about MS was the mixed message way he used players for example he wanted weight and size over speed and physicality.Also the scheme defensively was always a mixed message the last 3 years and the LOS in general lacked physicality.

While MS talked old skool physical it didn't seem to wash off on the players.

Here in lies the biggest difference between MS & DQ he knows exactly what he wants and he picks that sought of talent and they play that way also.

Watching the team now I've never felt we have ever been over-matched physically and thats because of the coach.

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I actually felt a little sorry for MS in the end.

I also think intervention from the owner and a glut of injuries to the skill players hurt MS big time those last 2 seasons.

The thing I didn't like about MS was the mixed message way he used players for example he wanted weight and size over speed and physicality.Also the scheme defensively was always a mixed message the last 3 years and the LOS in general lacked physicality.

While MS talked old skool physical it didn't seem to wash off on the players.

Here in lies the biggest difference between MS & DQ he knows exactly what he wants and he picks that sought of talent and they play that way also.

Watching the team now I've never felt we have ever been over-matched physically and thats because of the coach.

The worse I felt for MS was that last press conference after the loss to the Panthers.  You could see the burden of the rumors finally got to him, he was a broken man.  Regardless of the leaked information I'm not sure we would have beat them anyway, but I do feel it did have a small impact the finial score.  I will always respect him and be grateful for what he did for our town, however it was time to move on.  I am glad he found some success in TB and hope he has another opportunity to coach.

Another poster her put a Vic Beasley highlight video up and it touches some of your points.  The commentator is praising Beasley's ability to out power his defender despite being outweighed by a large margin.  Beasley is strong enough to play against 250+ offensive lineman yet light enough and fast enough to run down Mobile QBs like Netwon and Kaepernick.