Well This Is Different

NFL Power Rankings: No, for real, the Falcons are a Super Bowl threat

Atlanta, led by the likely NFL MVP, is the NFC team no one seems to be talking about

There have been 17 teams since 1990 that have scored 500 or more points in a season.

The Atlanta Falcons became the 17th this past Sunday. If they can get their average of 33 points this week against the New Orleans Saints, the Falcons would finish with 535 points. That would put them as the eighth-best scoring team in the NFL since 1990.

Read More

So how come so few think they are a legitimate threat to win it all?

Maybe it's because of the seven teams that scored more than 535 points in a season, only two made it to the Super Bowl -- but none have won it.

The two that made it and lost were the 2013 Broncos (all time scoring leader with 606 points) and the 2007 Patriots (second with 589 points). Both were upset in the Super Bowl.

The other teams that scored more than 535 points failed to make the big game, but the 1999 St. Louis Rams, who scored 526 points, did win it. That makes them the highest-scoring team to win a Super Bowl. The only other teams to score over 500 points and win a Super Bowl were the 1994 San Francisco 49ers, the 1998 Denver Broncos and the 2009 New Orleans Saints.

The 500 points puts Atlanta into some elite company, which is why they are up to third in my Power Rankings. Their improving defense, with pass rusher Vic Beasley becoming a force, gives them a real chance in the postseason. Quarterback Matt Ryan, the likely MVP, is the biggest reason they will be factor. He's playing great football.

If the Falcons beat the Saints this week, the Falcons will have the No. 2 seed, which means they will get a bye, then play at home, and maybe play the title game on the road. With that offense, they can be electric inside the Georgia Dome and then could be 60 minutes from a Super Bowl.

The Falcons are legit. It's time to start paying attention and giving them a real Super Bowl shot.

It's hard to score 500 points in a season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-power-rankings-no-for-real-the-falcons-are-a-super-bowl-threat/?linkId=32788235

22 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

So how come so few think they are a legitimate threat to win it all?

Maybe it's because of the seven teams that scored more than 535 points in a season, only two made it to the Super Bowl -- but none have won it.

Okay, how about if we go with a larger sample size than just seven?

Of the top 20 offenses of all time, 14 have made it to the conference championship (70%), 10 have made it to the Super Bowl (50%), and 5 have won it all (25%).

If anyone is curious which teams those are...

8 St. Louis Rams 1999 WIN
12 New Orleans Saints 2009 WIN
13 San Francisco 49ers 1994 WIN
16 Denver Broncos 1998 WIN
21 Washington Redskins 1991 WIN
1 Denver Broncos 2013 SB
2 New England Patriots 2007 SB
11 New England Patriots 2011 SB
14 St. Louis Rams 2001 SB
17 Carolina Panthers 2015 SB
4 New England Patriots 2012 CC
5 Minnesota Vikings 1998 CC
19 Arizona Cardinals 2015 CC
20 Green Bay Packers 2014 CC
6 New Orleans Saints 2011 DIV
3 Green Bay Packers 2011 DIV
9 Indianapolis Colts 2004 DIV
10 New England Patriots 2010 DIV
18 San Diego Chargers 2006 DIV
7 St. Louis Rams 2000 WC

8 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Of the top 20 offenses of all time, 14 have made it to the conference championship (70%), 10 have made it to the Super Bowl (50%), and 5 have won it all (25%).

I know it wasn't you who wrote that quote, but let's be real, it's not because we're scoring too much that we're being ignored.  It's that the media just ignores the Falcons unless something news worth happens.  

5 minutes ago, Dr_truth189 said:

I know it wasn't you who wrote that quote, but let's be real, it's not because we're scoring too much that we're being ignored.  It's that the media just ignores the Falcons unless something news worth happens.  

Yeah, I know, but I wasn't really addressing that.  I like flying under the radar anyways.

I've just been seeing this idea lately that historically great offenses haven't fared well in the playoffs.  Just saying that if you look at more than just the top few, they've largely been pretty **** successful.

23 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Now you have brought facts to the table again and even a larger sample.. You have ruined another good story! 

Thanks a lot mr.!

2 hours ago, PK Manley said:

1 in 4 chance of winning it all? I'm fine with those odds.