Potential Top 10 Scoring Offense

weezy01212

Found this to be interesting on sportingcharts.com

With one game left the good guys have the potential to be one of the top 10 most scoring offenses (since 1990).

If you look at this Chart there is some good company but if you look at what happened to most of these teams in the post season it didn't end well for them.

atl offense.PNG

1 hour ago, weezy01212 said:

Found this to be interesting on sportingcharts.com

With one game left the good guys have the potential to be one of the top 10 most scoring offenses (since 1990).

If you look at this Chart there is some good company but if you look at what happened to most of these teams in the post season it didn't end well for them.

atl offense.PNG

"if you look at what happened to most of these teams in the post season it didn't end well for them"

The buzzsaw offense ran into the buzzsaw defense in most cases -- my thing is, where is that "buzzsaw defense" this year?

Exactly. I like our chances.

1 hour ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Hopefully they score more than 45 and top that Saints team

Yep. Need a 46 burger. Only way we run up that kind of score is if the game stays close so that Quinn keeps Ryan in slinging. But unless we crap the bed no way we don't get into the top 10.

13 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Actually, half of the top 8 won the SB, if I'm reading it correctly. 

If you told me right now that playing well enough Sunday to finish in a group that historically (since 1990) has a 50% chance of winning it all, I'd be (and am) satisfied with the odds at this point.

Uhhh. Maybe I'm wrong but it appears none of the top 8 won the Superbowl except the 99 rams. However half rhe teams appeared in the super bowl, but most lost

38 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Actually, half of the top 8 won the SB, if I'm reading it correctly. 

If you told me right now that playing well enough Sunday to finish in a group that historically (since 1990) has a 50% chance of winning it all, I'd be (and am) satisfied with the odds at this point.

I don't think you're reading it correctly.

At first glance I see #8, #12, and #13 winning the Super Bowl.

#1, #2, #11, #14 lost the Super Bowl.

Most if not all the rest were playoff exits... #3 in the first round at 15-1.  #5 to the Falcons in '98 NFCCG... also at 15-1.

I think my memory is correct.

I don't think people realize how good this offense has been. They have scored on 52.4% of their drives this season. That great Broncos offense scored on 48%, for comparison. The great Pats and GB offenses didn't score on above 50% of their drives either. The difference for them was the number of drives they had those seasons. They all had really good defenses getting them the ball back. Don't get me wrong, our D has played better, but not on the level of the Pack or Broncos in their Super Bowl years, and our D was pretty terrible the first half of the season.

Maybe it's easier to understand in these terms. We had the 6th fewest offensive drives this season. And we have 9 more scoring drives than any other team.

We have 14 more scoring drives (almost 1 more per game) than the Pats while they've had 7 more offensive opportunities. 

32 minutes ago, QuinnTorris said:

This is a bit misleading since it's total team points and not just offensive points. 

True. The title and OP says scoring offense, but the table is actually total team points, which includes defensive points scored. That 33.5 we are averaging includes all points scored whether by the offense or defense. 

3 hours ago, fuego said:

True. The title and OP says scoring offense, but the table is actually total team points, which includes defensive points scored. That 33.5 we are averaging includes all points scored whether by the offense or defense. 

I will admit on 2nd look this can be misleading however still this year's Falcons are still in good company when looking at the other teams.

There's some pretty memorable ones on that list. Personally I thought that was pretty cool and should put into perspective we shouldn't expect this every year and enjoy the ride this year.