Playoff Match-ups

Farmer2

I've been messing around with ESPN's playoff simulator to look at possible playoff match-ups.  Personally, and I'd be willing to bet most of you would agree, the two teams I'd like to avoid as long as possible are Dallas and Green Bay.  Green Bay is peaking at the right time, and Dallas' offense is the perfect nightmare for our defense.  However, I wouldn't bet against the Falcons in either case.  

Anyway, to my point.  I've been messing around with the simulator and can not come up with a scenario where we'd have to face both Dallas and Green Bay, assuming Seattle takes care of business in the first round.  Even if we lose to the Saints and Seattle wins, dropping us to the 3 seed, Green Bay and Dallas still face off in the 2nd round.  Worst case scenario I come up with is we drop to the 4th seed, but that puts GB as the 6th seed, and they'd still go to Dallas in the 2nd round assuming they win their 1st round match-up. 

The only way we'd see them both is if Detroit goes to Seattle in the 1st round and upsets Seattle.  I just don't see that happening. 

I truly believe that any of the teams in the playoffs on the opposite side of the bracket will knock the Cowboys out.  They got lucky quite a few times this season just like we have had a few bad bounces...otherwise we'd be the hunted.  We win Sunday and we could be in for a couple more home games this playoff...

Im not necessarily "afraid" of any of the teams in the playoffs but I would personally like to avoid Green Bay and that offense.  It took all we had to beat them earlier this year and they were very banged up.  Beating them twice in a year would be very difficult.

2 minutes ago, FalconsFanNW said:

I wouldn't bet against the Falcons in any game this postseason.  No team scares me mainly because there isn't a lights out defense in the playoffs.  We'll be able to score on anyone.

That's it right there. Any team in the playoffs is beatable and the one team that everyone is so scared of hasn't even qualified for the playoffs.

I agree with Dallas and the Packers being my main concerns in the NFC playoffs. Actually I am more concerned with the play of Aaron Rodgers more than anything. When he gets rolling he is an absolute nightmare. While I am worried, this team so far this year has surpassed all my expectations so it wouldn't surprise me if we did beat the Packers, but my blood pressure will have to be monitored the whole game.

Edited by The Vent King

One thing that no one is talking about is strength of schedule. Falcons 1st > Cowboys 27th. The teams we are going to play are no better then the teams we have played. We are as ready for the playoffs as ever! The Cowboys have played a weak schedule and will have to elevate their play. They are going to lose and I hope we are the team that does it.

39 minutes ago, Clark said:

Im not necessarily "afraid" of any of the teams in the playoffs but I would personally like to avoid Green Bay and that offense.  It took all we had to beat them earlier this year and they were very banged up.  Beating them twice in a year would be very difficult.

Clark, after the 2010 'Green Bay playoff massacre' I don't think you need to explain to anyone why you would prefer not to see the Packers in the playoffs.

I thought then and still think BVG should have been fired on the spot after that game.

4 minutes ago, jetset335 said:

One thing that no one is talking about is strength of schedule. Falcons 1st > Cowboys 27th. The teams we are going to play are no better then the teams we have played. We are as ready for the playoffs as ever! The Cowboys have played a weak schedule and will have to elevate their play. They are going to lose and I hope we are the team that does it.

It's funny though... the last couple times Atlanta had the top seed as I recall all we heard about was their weak schedule.

Obviously the main goal is to get to and win the SB.

If the intermediate goal is to host as many playoff games as possible, I think the following seeding works best for ATL:

#6 WAS @ #3 SEA

#5 NYG @ #4 GB

Seattle will beat Washington, which ensures that the winner of NYG/GB gets a shot at the Cowboys. Green Bay is playing much better than the last time they faced Dallas, and the Giants have already beaten them. 

OR for those who don't like prospect of facing GB at all, 

#6 WAS @ #3 SEA

#5 NYG @ #4 DET

and hope that NYG can win in Detroit and then sweep DAL.

2010 was 6 years ago.

We replaced just about every coach and player on that team.

Correct me if I am wrong but the only people left from that team are Matt Ryan, Matt Bryant, Babs, and Coach Armstrong.

Geez that team had Brian Finneran and Chris Owens on it. 

The 2016 Falcons are not the 2010 Falcons in anyway.

35 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Clark, after the 2010 'Green Bay playoff massacre' I don't think you need to explain to anyone why you would prefer not to see the Packers in the playoffs.

I thought then and still think BVG should have been fired on the spot after that game.

Ya man, that still haunts me.  Jeez, I had nearly forgot about Van Gorder... what a nightmare of a coordinator he was.  

I'm not hoping we are able to "Dodge" any team in the playoffs. This is for respect So, give me Seattle and give me GB and then top if off with the Pats. I want us to rip through all the teams that are in it every year. 

Defeating Detroit, a Dallas team with a rookie QB and the Texans will get us a ring but it won't be the same. 

55852964.jpg