Things you likely don't know

Xyfiel

All data was researched by me.  I don't believe there are any errors though.

1) Much ado was made about the Seahawks streak of not losing by 10 or more points.  When they lost it to GB a few weeks ago I was curious who had the next highest active streak knowing we had not lost by 10 all year.  Currently only us and Cowboys have done it this year.  Cowboys lost by 10+ in week 17 last year so they are at 15.  We lost in week 14 to Panthers.  So we currently have the longest <10 point loss streak at 18 games.

2) After our loss to Seattle this year Wilson tied Ryan for third place in number of games to 50 wins(69 total).  He needed to win 6 of the last 11 to tie or 7 to beat him for most wins in first 5 years.  They have gone 5-4-1 so he cannot beat him, only tie if they beat Niners next week.

3) With Vic getting in the Pro Bowl, we now have 3 straight drafts of pro bowlers, Trufant, Freeman, and Vic.  We have 7 pro bowlers drafted in the 8 years from 08-15.  Dimarco was an UDFA but was first signed by San Diego.  In every draft where he had both first and second round picks, TD has drafted a pro bowler.  And the two traded picks were used to (help) acquire pro bowlers.

08: Ryan, Decoud

09: Moore

10: 2nd traded for Gonzalez

11: Jones

12: 1st traded for Jones

13: Trufant

14: Freeman

15: Vic

Our 2014-2016 drafts have been amazing. So many contributors.

2014 3 starters and 1 depth player (Matthews, Freeman, Allen, Hageman)
2015 3 starters and 2 depth players (Beasley, Jarrett, Collins, Coleman, Hardy)
2016 4 starters (Neal, Jones, Campbell, Hooper)

In 3 drafts we have gotten 10 of the 22 current offensive/defensive starters on the team + 3 depth players that play a ton of snaps.

People can talk crap about TD all they want but he is helping provide Quinn with tons of talent.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

5 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

In 3 drafts we have gotten 10 of the 22 current offensive/defensive starters on the team + 3 depth players that play a ton of snaps.

People can talk crap about TD all they want but he is helping provide Quinn with tons of talent.

We already know what Quinn can do with a few years of solid talent via the draft...  Every day I read Seattle fans commenting on how they miss his coaching.  Seattle's D was built via the draft... and outside of Earl Thomas I don't think any of them were a 1st rounder.

It is amazing how differently we all feel about the team.  At this stage last year, many of us were seriously doubting the direction of the team.  Some wished that Smitty would return.  That was then;  this is now.

Last season, a completely new offense was installed.  Players did not feel comfortable.  Ryan was just barely hanging in.  Now that the offense has had a year to learn and gel, it is the best in the league.

Last season, talking heads were saying that the defense had the worst personnel in the league.  A few draft picks and a whole lot of development later, this young defense is stepping up and we all agree that great things are coming.  

Two years into Quinn's tenure and we are all looking forward with a great deal of optimism........and for good reason.

7 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

2013 draft was pretty amazing as well. Trufant, Alford, Toilio and Ishmael. Two solid, if not playmaking,  starters and two valuable contributors

27 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Hmmmm.....isn't that about when S Pioli came here?

Yup. I don't take TD reuniting with his old friend/colleague as a sign of weakness on his part. Pioli is a smart football guy, but horrible manager of people (read about him), him paired with the affable and intelligent TD made perfect sense. Getting a coach like Quinn who has a specific type of player he wants in his system has made our triumvirate potentially dynastic. In many ways our front office resembles the Patriots that blank so desired. Multiple intelligent brains collaborating with a HC having final say on roster. 

Just now, MSalmon said:

Yup. I don't take TD reuniting with his old friend/colleague as a sign of weakness on his part. Pioli is a smart football guy, but horrible manager of people (read about him), him paired with the affable and intelligent TD made perfect sense. Getting a coach like Quinn who has a specific type of player he wants in his system has made our triumvirate potentially dynastic. In many ways our front office resembles the Patriots that blank so desired. Multiple intelligent brains collaborating with a HC having final say on roster. 

Gotta hand it to Blank for staying true to that vision....would have been easy to fired TD along with Smitty, as there was plenty of blame to go around....but he instead just reshuffled the org chart. 

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Gotta hand it to Blank for staying true to that vision....would have been easy to fired TD along with Smitty, as there was plenty of blame to go around....but he instead just reshuffled the org chart. 

True. I give TD credit for honestly caring about the organization. For that matter I give McKay credit when he took another role when they brought TD in. I think they all drank the kool-aid in a good way. Smitty just burned out. He's doing well in Tampa . But we have a great organizational culture. This year's success is not surprising when you notice we bottomed out at 4-12, improved two games to 6-10, improved 2 games to 8-8 and now at least another two game improvement. That's steady and balanced and stable improvement. That bodes well for the future of our team

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

True. I give TD credit for honestly caring about the organization. For that matter I give McKay credit when he took another role when they brought TD in. I think they all drank the kool-aid in a good way. Smitty just burned out. He's doing well in Tampa . But we have a great organizational culture. This year's success is not surprising when you notice we bottomed out at 4-12, improved two games to 6-10, improved 2 games to 8-8 and now at least another two game improvement. That's steady and balanced and stable improvement. That bodes well for the future of our team

Good point, TD (and McKay) both could have let their egos taken over and walked away to another gm job as some of 'powers' were reassigned to others on staff.  it actually made TD a more focused GM.

blank is an extremely smart businessman

Just now, Vandy said:

Good point, TD (and McKay) both could have let their egos taken over and walked away to another gm job as some of 'powers' were reassigned to others on staff.  it actually made TD a more focused GM.

blank is an extremely smart businessman

Yup. If you look around the NFL with the exception of belichik it seems most successful teams have a "division of labor." Dallas certainly got better when Jerry jones delegated to his son, Carroll and Schneider are fantastic...Reid got better in KC when partnered up. It's just a complex business that gets more and complex yearly. Belichik is just a true genius and he still has a great support staff.

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

Johnny Cash, just goes to show that Blank has more management acumen than any of us realized. Quinn was the best hire and Pioli's player evaluation joined with Dimitroff's fiscal discipline has been an ever bigger story than Quinn in his second year. JJ, Gibbs and Walsh were masters of draft and FA. PS: Your avatar is  Folsom Prison?

33 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Johnny Cash, just goes to show that Blank has more management acumen than any of us realized. Quinn was the best hire and Pioli's player evaluation joined with Dimitroff's fiscal discipline has been an ever bigger story than Quinn in his second year. JJ, Gibbs and Walsh were masters of draft and FA. PS: Your avatar is  Folsom Prison?

Yup my avatar is Cash at Folsom