PMF & Fat Boi Give Perspective on What the Defense Must Do in Play Offs

BIRDLAND 2.0

For the playoffs I'd say keep doing what they're doing but more if it. Get the ball back to Matt and the offense. Be very opportunistic like we've been since the bye. Be relentless up front and cause turnovers. And if we can get defensive points. We've scored 5 times on defense this year. 

Oh and also keep playing tight man to man defense. 

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

For the playoffs I'd say keep doing what they're doing but more if it. Get the ball back to Matt and the offense. Be very opportunistic like we've been since the bye. Be relentless up front and cause turnovers. And if we can get defensive points. We've scored 5 times on defense this year. 

Oh and also keep playing tight man to man defense. 

Would you play more nickle due to Poole's ball hawk ability?

I'd there's one thing I know, it's that Rodgers and Brady will carve the Falcons apart if they do not disguise coverages and apply pressure. If they drop back in simple zone coverages all game, it's game over. Rodgers already made the Falcons pay for this in the playoffs once, don't allow it again. 

4 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I'd there's one thing I know, it's that Rodgers and Brady will carve the Falcons apart if they do not disguise coverages and apply pressure. If they drop back in simple zone coverages all game, it's game over. Rodgers already made the Falcons pay for this in the playoffs once, don't allow it again. 

See the first NYG-NE Super Bowl. That game was won by unrelenting front 7 pressure. The WCO needs disruption, not disguises imo. Rodgers also needs spied by Beasley.

15 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Quinn doesn't use much disguise. It's pretty basic Cover 3,Cover 1 and some Cover 2

26 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

For one we fell behind in the 2010 game and that played into their hands. We were a team built to play with a lead. 

Second we don't disguise anything. We play cover 1 or cover 3 and force qb's to check down. Brady will dink and dunk but that's why we got the fast rookies to not give too much yac. GB's wr's struggle against man to man. Collins, Alf, and Poole are physical corners that will disrupt timing. Went to man against GB I'm the 2nd half and the result was only 8 points. 

30 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

in the first Packers game we go caught sleeping early and Rodgers moved at will. in the second half we clamped down and Rodgers couldn't do anything until we started playing zone in the 4th quarter. the thing we have to watch out for is them using Montgomery as a RB but if we have Campbell back then he won't be as much of a factor than if Worrilow was on him. man to man cover and a steady dose of pressure and we'll win easily. if we don't get pressure then it will be a shootout type game

25 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

See the first NYG-NE Super Bowl. That game was won by unrelenting front 7 pressure. The WCO needs disruption, not disguises imo. Rodgers also needs spied by Beasley.

That's why Belichik let Moss go and went to a 2 TE set mostly. Can't just rush Brady like that vs all the long developing plays they ran back then. Brady will beat you with the dink and dunk game 

3 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

in the first Packers game we go caught sleeping early and Rodgers moved at will. in the second half we clamped down and Rodgers couldn't do anything until we started playing zone in the 4th quarter. the thing we have to watch out for is them using Montgomery as a RB but if we have Campbell back then he won't be as much of a factor than if Worrilow was on him. man to man cover and a steady dose of pressure and we'll win easily. if we don't get pressure then it will be a shootout type game

We played man to man almost exclusively in the second half. Played zone in the 1st half. If we face  them in the playoffs I'd stay primarily man. 

Just now, Reggie_Kelly said:

I agree with Canuck. Rodgers Will carve up our zone defense if the front four doesn't apply pressure. Beasley can't be the only one to apply that pressure. 

Every good qb carves up zone. Ask Matt Ryan. We played man in the second half and they couldn't score but 8 points. We haven't been running a lot of zone since the bye. That's why the defense has only been giving up about 15 points a game since then. 

41 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Cousins, Stafford, Dak and Eli too. We're not talkin, Cam, Kap, Goff, Smith or Palmer here.

5 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

That's why Belichik let Moss go and went to a 2 TE set mostly. Can't just rush Brady like that vs all the long developing plays they ran back then. Brady will beat you with the dink and dunk game 

Agree, but like Montana, you must then counter the short passing game by jamming the TEs and I'd add playing borderline harassing coverage as well as hitting em hard after catch to limit RAC/YAC.

9 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

We played man to man the majority of the second half. Played zone in the 1st half. 

that's what I was saying but we went back to zone on their scoring possession. by dropping back we allowed 3 catches over 12 yards, the first 2 drives we were rushing 5, the 3rd drive we rushed 3 and 4 and left huge running lanes for Rodgers. he ran for 2 first downs. we held them to a FG but Rodgers caught us on 3rd down with too many men and even though we stopped them they got the penalty and got a first down. I think Quinn has learned his lesson and next time, he's going all out from the start.

Well those 2 will give more in depth answers but it is pretty simple.

Be where we are suppose to be and make the play when we are there.

Over the last month I have noticed alot fewer blown assignments and over all sound techniques.

If we simply are where we are suppose to be and be there when we are suppose to be there then the defense will be just fine.

3 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Agree, but like Montana, you must then counter the short passing game by jamming the TEs and I'd add playing borderline harassing coverage as well as hitting em hard after catch to limit RAC/YAC.

F you watch the panthers game we weren't giving Olsen a free release. He was getting bumped off the line. 

5 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

F you watch the panthers game we weren't giving Olsen a free release. He was getting bumped off the line. 

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Cousins, Stafford, Dak and Eli too. We're not talkin, Cam, Kap, Goff, Smith or Palmer here.

Cousins won't be in the playoffs, Stafford's wr's are similar to GB's in that they can't beat man coverage. Dak cant light anybody up without zeke having a good game. See the giants. Eli will turn the ball over and is having a bad year despite their record. Their offense struggles and they're hiding behind the defense. The cards are a top 10 offense this year. Don't even know how you could put palmer with Goff and Kap especially after he just carved up the Seahawks. Thanks to Palmer we can play for the #2 seed. TF???!!! Cam just lit up Washington and let everybody tell it he was gonna light us up because they were playing so well. 

28 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

For one we fell behind in the 2010 game and that played into their hands. We were a team built to play with a lead. 

Second we don't disguise anything. We play cover 1 or cover 3 and force qb's to check down. Brady will dink and dunk but that's why we got the fast rookies to not give too much yac. GB's wr's struggle against man to man. Collins, Alf, and Poole are physical corners that will disrupt timing. Went to man against GB I'm the 2nd half and the result was only 8 points. 

Keep going, dude. I love the analysis. You The PMF are the TATF NFL Network Show. Don't get a swelled head. ;)

I'm going to give you a really boring answer but it's dead on.

The opponent doesn't matter. It's all about us not them. The defense is simple in design but its tough to beat when it's played right.

When its played right you can't beat it over the top and when everything is communicated and passed off underneath it's tough to beat underneath too. I've said it all season and I'm going to keep saying it.

It comes down to fundamentals and communication which they have grown by leaps and bounds at. Keep those run fits and leverages tight and this is a tough defense to move the ball on.

It won't come down to an exotic coverage or a fancy gameplan. It never does against playoff caliber quarterbacks. It comes down to the boring stuff... execution and outhitting the guy in front of you.