The Falcon's Defense Sucks!

Marco102

I've been doing some reading around the interwebs and listening to the talking heads. There's a common theme out there.  The Falcons' defense sucks!  

I don't think most have been paying attention lately.   

Since the bye here are the numbers

Yards allowed per game: 321 which would be the 6th best defense in the NFL if extrapolated over the season. 

Points allowed per game: 15.6 (I'm excluding the 13 pts the offense and special teams allowed to KC, otherwise it's 18.2 pts as a team).  The 15.6 points allowed would be numero uno in the NFL if extrapolated over the entire season.  The 18.2 would be third, if extrapolated over the season.

Turnovers per game: 2

In order, Falcons have faced the 6th, 23rd, 32nd, 29th, and 19th offenses during this stretch which isn't impressive.  These teams average 326 yards per game and 21.8 points per game. The Falcons held these teams a full 6 pts below their averages which I believe is impressive. 

Why is this important you ask?  The potential offenses the Falcons could face in the NFC playoffs (based on current standings)

#4 Dallas            390 yards per game 26.1 pts per game.

#10 Green Bay   364 yards per game 26.7 pts per game

#15 Seattle         356 yards per game 21.9 pts per game

#22 Detroit         335 yards per game 21.5 pts per game

#24 New York    331 yards per game  19.4 pts per game

The only offense in this group that may give the defense problems is Green Bay and if you remember correctly, the defense held Rogers in check in the second half of the game earlier in the season. I know, I know Dallas definitely could give the defense problems, but I wouldn't call Dallas a high powered offense.

My point is the defense is performing at, or above, a top 15 defensive level going into the playoffs and with the Falcons' offense, we could be feeling Super in February! (God don't let this sentence jinx them)

Edited by Marco102

3 minutes ago, Borat said:

Dallas is 100% a 'high-powered' offense. Two ROY/MVP candidates in the backfield, stud wideout(s), wily future HOF TE, and all-world offensive line. 

I guess the better term is quick strike offense.  If the Falcon's were to get up 21 pts on Dallas could that offense as currently constructed keep up?  I'm not so sure, but I know Green Bay probably could.

7 minutes ago, Borat said:

Dallas is 100% a 'high-powered' offense. Two ROY/MVP candidates in the backfield, stud wideout(s), wily future HOF TE, and all-world offensive line. 

I do not consider them high powered.

They are a good team but they are more interested in winning the top battle and letting their oline wear teams down.

That said if we do play then we need to make sure that we are on point.

I figured that the defense would be better at the end of the season. Starting two (and then three when Neal got healthy) rookies was bound to result in growing pains. I'm glad we withstood losing Spoon, Shelby, and Clayborn as well as we have. Quinn is a freaking genius and a leader of high order. 

Before the bye, we played some high powered offenses. Our defense truly did suck wind, at least in terms of yardage. After the bye, we have played a parade of iffy offenses and our defensive numbers reflect improvement. It really is hard to know if the defense is better, or the opponents are just worse. All that said, our defense has been able to make big plays at the right moment. In GB, AR was rolling. In the 3rd quarter, our defense came up with 3rd down sacks on consecutive series. That stemmed the tide when Green Bay seemed poised to grab all of the momentum. That game is our defense. You can gain yardage, but don't get to comfortable. Timely sacks and defensive TDs might just ruin your day. 

Next week will be an excellent measuring stick for our defense. NO's offense is a playoff level test. My guess is we will give up yards, but probably pick up a pick or two along the way. If will be fun to find out.

35 minutes ago, Marco102 said:

I've been doing some reading around the interwebs and listening to the talking heads. There's a common theme out there.  The Falcons' defense sucks!  

Yards allowed per game: 321 which would be the 6th best defense in the NFL if extrapolated over the season. 

Points allowed per game: 15.6 (I'm excluding the 13 pts the offense and special teams allowed to KC, otherwise it's 18.2 pts as a team).  The 15.6 points allowed would be numero uno in the NFL if extrapolated over the entire season.  The 18.2 would be third, if extrapolated over the season.

In order, Falcons have faced the 6th, 23rd, 32nd, 29th, and 19th offenses during this stretch which isn't impressive.  These teams average 326 yards per game and 21.8 points per game. The Falcons held these teams a full 6 pts below their averages which I believe is impressive. 

Why is this important you ask?  The potential offenses the Falcons could face in the NFC playoffs (based on current standings)

The only offense in this group that may give the defense problems is Green Bay and if you remember correctly, the defense held Rogers in check in the second half of the game earlier in the season. I know, I know Dallas definitely could give the defense problems, but I wouldn't call Dallas a high powered offense.

My point is the defense is performing at, or above, a top 15 defensive level going into the playoffs and with the Falcons' offense, we could be feeling Super in February! (God don't let this sentence jinx them)

So you are basically saying we are 2009 Saints?

2 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Next week will be an excellent measuring stick for our defense. NO's offense is a playoff level test. My guess is we will give up yards, but probably pick up a pick or two along the way. If will be fun to find out.

I agree.  Like I said, there are no really high powered (quick strike) offenses in the NFC playoffs other than Green Bay.  New Orleans is better than any offense the Falcons could possibly face in the NFC portion of the playoffs.

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

I do not consider them high powered.

They are a good team but they are more interested in winning the top battle and letting their oline wear teams down.

That said if we do play then we need to make sure that we are on point.

Your threshold for 'high-powered' is higher than mine, then. #6 in YPG (#4 in yards per play) and #4 in PPG does it for me. 

Edited by Borat

10 hours ago, Borat said:

Your threshold for 'high-powered' is higher than mine, then. #6 in YPG (#4 in yards per play) and #4 in PPG does it for me. 

I don't think anyone is saying Dallas does not have a good offense.  It's just not a quick strike offense.  If someone gets up on Dallas pretty quickly, which no one has really done this season, how does that offense respond?  Will it still be as efficient or will it fall apart?  I say the latter.

Dallas has put up some good numbers and their KEY Advantage has been the ROOK QB.

Th kid has been good and I'll give him that, but please keep in mind what Bill Walsh stated

"you do not know what you really have until he has played two seasons".

The league simply does not have enough tape on Dak  but the numbers are compiling quickly.

29 minutes ago, Marco102 said:

I don't think anyone is saying Dallas does not have a good offense.  It's just not a quick strike offense.  If someone gets up on Dallas pretty quickly, which no one has really done this season, how does that offense respond?  Will it still be as efficient or will it fall apart?  I say the latter.

Why? The team is fast with tons of offensive weapons. 

Just now, Marco102 said:

Have you seen Dak do it consistently?  No, speed is only one element of a quick strike offense.  You need speed, excellent play design, and a QB to do it. 

They haven't really had to because they're 12-2. Don't =\= can't. 

11 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

I figured that the defense would be better at the end of the season. Starting two (and then three when Neal got healthy) rookies was bound to result in growing pains. I'm glad we withstood losing Spoon, Shelby, and Clayborn as well as we have. Quinn is a freaking genius and a leader of high order. 

Debo, Campbell, Neal, Poole, Reynolds, and Olatoye got some playing time. That's a lot of rookies. It was a forgone conclusion we would end a lot better than we started. 

16 hours ago, Marco102 said:

Great cognizant point on defense spread out across season. Thanks, makes feel even better about coaching and player scheme learning.