The Difference in these Falcons...

Jerry Maguire

Well, there are a lot of differences.  Ryan is playing his best football ever, partially due to a very good offensive line led by FA addition Alex Mack.

However, I want to point out what I think is one of the most glaring differences I have seen in 2016 than in many, many years.  The Falcons have had numerous key injuries, and this year, the next man up has done a capable job.

I have to give credit to the coaching staff and talent evaluators that have worked in unison to provide some real depth.  The FO has signed and drafted guys and FAs and the coaches have developed and used them advantageously.

The arrow is only pointing up...

I was about to make a post like this. It's not Ryan, Julio, Mack, or whatever star player you want to pedestalize. It's a WINNING CULTURE. That's why we can be down to our practice squad tight ends/WR's/DB's/OL, you name it, and can continue to produce without skipping a beat. You know which team it reminds me of? The Patriots. Quinn and his coaching staff has made all of our players starting caliber NFL professionals, just like Belichick does with his team.

This is great news for us going forward. Now we don't have to sweat losing someone nearly as much as we had to in the past. We no longer need the player to be inherently good, because our coaching staff will make the players good.

Edited by likeriver

A-freakin-men! This is as 'deep' a team as any Falcons team I can remember rooting for, and this thread has hit on why that is:

- solid drafting

- personnel development 

- culture, i.e., 'buy in' by the players and coaches 

Those ingredients don't *guarantee* a W in any given game, but over time they produce more Ws and opportunities for championships. 

Let's give props to Mike Smith.  He took over an impossibly challenged football program and took us to the next level where losing was no longer tolerated -- thus his own firing.  Quinn has stepped in and seems to be taking the next step.  But without the Mike Smith Years, we wouldn't be where we are today. No homo.

This is what happens when you have a coach who actually develops talent and trusts unproven players to step up. It's also a testament to actually adding players to the roster that can actually step up and not just "for depth" purposes. Guys like Michael Palmer and Justin Peelle don't make the roster just because they can block. DQ wants guys that can ball and will keep you around, even if not on the roster. Perkins and Tialavea had good camps and preseasons and earned their shots. I love it. Depth used to be special teamers. Now, depth is filled with guys who can ball when called upon and just play special teams until they get their shot to contribute on offense/defense. Entirely different mentality. 

1 minute ago, FulC0 said:

Let's give props to Mike Smith.  He took over an impossibly challenged football program and took us to the next level where losing was no longer tolerated -- thus his own firing.  Quinn has stepped in and seems to be taking the next step.  But without the Mike Smith Years, we wouldn't be where we are today. No homo.

Smith also left Quinn a defensively depleted roster... good work on the offense though I suppose. Smith took us to a high level but also crumbled and left the cubby bare

57 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

A-freakin-men! This is as 'deep' a team as any Falcons team I can remember rooting for, and this thread has hit on why that is:

- solid drafting

- personnel development 

Those ingredients don't *guarantee* a W in any given game, but over time they produce more Ws and opportunities for championships. 

Nailed it. 

1 hour ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

- solid drafting

- personnel development 

I've bolded what, in MY opinion is the biggest improvement we've seen in a while

1 hour ago, Jerry Maguire said:

Well, there are a lot of differences.  Ryan is playing his best football ever, partially due to a very good offensive line led by FA addition Alex Mack.

However, I want to point out what I think is one of the most glaring differences I have seen in 2016 than in many, many years.  The Falcons have had numerous key injuries, and this year, the next man up has done a capable job.

I have to give credit to the coaching staff and talent evaluators that have worked in unison to provide some real depth.  The FO has signed and drafted guys and FAs and the coaches have developed and used them advantageously.

The arrow is only pointing up...

Yep crazy that our 3rd and 4th string TE's caught TD passes yesterday

When you're right you're right. We started a lot of old and slow players under Smith because the young talent wasn't being developed to replace Mora Jr's people.

I said it in another topic but this defense is so much faster. I've grown accustomed to watching plays get extended until a man would get open or the QB could run for a first but now they are getting chased down. Better speed AND pursuit angles.

There's a mental toughness that wasn't here the last few years of the Smith regime. What used to happen is that someone would make a mistake, Smith would tense up, the team would get tight and it would snowball into a near loss or a loss.

Now, they just keep on going. Quinn doesn't like  mistakes,  he just doesn't react to them like Smith did 

2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Good FA signing and really good drafts since Quinn has become the HC.  

I think its a clearer vision which makes the drafting alot easier to zero in on players who fit what we do.

Coaching philosophy putting players in a position which is most advantageous for the team.

The offense has morphed into a beast.I'd be interested to see the NFL records on most points scored on the road for a season.I think we are in the 32 point area.

7 hours ago, fuego said:

And don't forget the 'unleashing' of Matt Ryan. I've been begging for years for this 'wide open' Matt. He never used to throw downfield with any regularity until Shanahan came. Now he's a slingin' machine. 

He did in 08- Had Norwood healthy and HD before his knee injury.

1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Much better now;). Do you agree?

Oh sure, but he was a gunslinger in 08. Want to see him playing under Quinn/Shanahan in the playoffs, it should be fun to watch.

Last time Ryan was in the playoffs, he increased his per game averages in QB Rating, TDs, yards, and YPA from the regular season. He upped his game, he played better in the playoffs. He does that this year, Falcons can go a long ways.

9 hours ago, Warningx13 said:

When you're right you're right. We started a lot of old and slow players under Smith because the young talent wasn't being developed to replace Mora Jr's people.

I said it in another topic but this defense is so much faster. I've grown accustomed to watching plays get extended until a man would get open or the QB could run for a first but now they are getting chased down. Better speed AND pursuit angles.

And the last game was a perfect example. How many times in the past did we see Cam scramble around in the backfield until he hit a guy wide open or could jog to an easy first down on 3rd and 12 without a worry of someone catching him from behind? That was clearly not the case on Saturday when the front seven had him running for his life. Everything he got was a struggle with few exceptions. Even the TD pass was because of a push-off by Benjamin that wasn't called by the deep judge.

The speed and levels of pursuit displayed by the defense, especially since the bye week, is lightyears faster than in years' past...