Courtney Upshaw

atljbo

He's definitely stepped up when Clay got hurt and has stayed in rotation. So has Hageman...man, this whole defense is getting confident at the right time. Before the season I said we'd probably not have a top 10 defense statistically for the year, but we'd be playing like one by year's end. Think we'll be able to make one of those 'out of nowhere' runs once the offs start. 

The real test is next week

3 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Again.. Everybody is not a star... Our system call for good rotational players on the D-Line... Props to quinn and his development because it looks like Upshaw can become one of those guys... The guy just turned 27 a week or so ago.. So he is still at a good age

shelby was turning into quite a player too before he got hurt

You need to remember he is still learning the position having been a primarily lighter Olb in the NFL up to now. Right now without Shelby or Clay he is our best run stopping DL and that will be a big factor if we end up making it thru to Dallas in a conference game. 

He should be resigned imho and Grady (Wow big typo I meant Jackson) released. The interesting one now is Hags who a month ago would be unlikely to be resigned but now is definetly giving himself a great shot. Assuming Babs and Grady are released then we need some interior presence

Edited by primetime
No decent excuse

1 minute ago, primetime said:

You need to remember he is still learning the position having been a primarily lighter Olb in the NFL up to now. Right now without Shelby or Clay he is our best run stopping DL and that will be a big factor if we end up making it thru to Dallas in a conference game. 

He should be resigned imho and Grady released. The interesting one now is Hags who a month ago would be unlikely to be resigned but now is definetly giving himself a great shot. Assuming Babs and Grady are released then we need some interior presence

uh

1 minute ago, primetime said:

He should be resigned imho and Grady released. The interesting one now is Hags who a month ago would be unlikely to be resigned but now is definetly giving himself a great shot. Assuming Babs and Grady are released then we need some interior presence

Say what ?

4 minutes ago, primetime said:

huh why would you release our best young dts in grady or did you mean babs

I hope you meant Jackson

2 minutes ago, HEIST said:

uh

Man I threw up in my mouth when i saw that.

Too much to drink there son lol..Celebrating Xmas early hahahahaha..Its Xmas day here in NZ lol.. 

5 minutes ago, primetime said:

I don't remember Upshaw being a light OLB and you want Grady Jarrett released?  Yikes.

I assume he means Tyson Jackson, and not our best DT on the roster. LOL

And yes, Upshaw has been coming on after slowly starting to pick up the nuances of playing DT instead of SAM LBer. He should definitely be re-signed as a rotational DL. I said sometime last week I would like to see him return on something like a 3 year contract for between $6 to $9 million total (per year average of $2 to $3 million).

14 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I assume he means Tyson Jackson, and not our best DT on the roster. LOL

And yes, Upshaw has been coming on after slowly starting to pick up the nuances of playing DT instead of SAM LBer. He should definitely be re-signed as a rotational DL. I said sometime last week I would like to see him return on something like a 3 year contract for between $6 to $9 million total (per year average of $2 to $3 million).

Get him like we grabbed clay on the 2 year 4-5 million 

17 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Man I threw up in my mouth when i saw that.

Too much to drink there son lol..Celebrating Xmas early hahahahaha..Its Xmas day here in NZ lol.. 

Lol yeh a few light refreshments along with putting up a swing. Oh and I meant 'lighter' Olb (not light). Just indicating he is playing a lot above his usual NFL weight this season in converting from Olb to End 

24 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Again.. Everybody is not a star... Our system call for good rotational players on the D-Line... Props to quinn and his development because it looks like Upshaw can become one of those guys... The guy just turned 27 a week or so ago.. So he is still at a good age

JBO I was telling @PeytonMannings Forehead yesterday in the game thread that Upshaw lack of size (height) helps him with leverage. With Upshaw being shorter than most Guards he uses that as an advantage as he gets underneath the pads of Guards.

Here is a article about Packers Mike Daniels.

Now Daniels, a fourth-round pick out of Iowa in 2012, is the best player on Capers's Packers unit—and he's 6 feet and 291 pounds. “Historically, when you look at the 3–4 defense, yes, that body type doesn't fit,” says Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy. “But the fact of the matter is, it's a sub [or subpackage] league now, and he's perfect for that.”

Subpackage defenses are on the rise because with each passing year NFL offenses more closely mirror their college counterparts, spreading the defense horizontally by using multiple receivers detached from the line. That creates not only more space in the passing game but also more creases for the running game. Defenses combat this with extra DBs, speedier linebackers and smaller linemen, such as Daniels, who has thrived. In 2015 the Packers lined up in their base defense on just 18% of snaps. (The league average is 33%.) And that's not a one-year aberration. McCarthy can't recall the last time his team was over 20%.

“People talk about a defensive lineman being too short—but that's [less of an issue] today,” says Lions guard Larry Warford, who sees Daniels twice a season. “Shorter guys are hard to pass-block and run against; it's hard to get that leverage on them. Daniels is a game-changer.”

While Daniels represents the latest evolutionary step of the incredible shrinking defensive lineman, he's every bit as fierce as his predecessors. One play from Week 9 last season encapsulates all that he brings. Midway through the first quarter against the Panthers he lined up on the outside shoulder of left guard Amini Silatolu, facing an old-school, two-back alignment. On the snap Daniels backed up Silatolu a few steps by staying low and leveraging beneath Silatolu's pads. Then he used his brute strength, tossing the 6' 4", 320-pound Silatolu to the ground, and quickly flushed Cam Newton out of the pocket for an incomplete pass. “The difference between Mike and other short guys is that he's just absolutely strong,” says Warford. “He can throw you off balance easy and attack.”

“I've had quite a few plays where I've just dominated the guy across from me,” Daniels, 27, says matter-of-factly. “A lot of these defensive linemen, they're real whirling dervishes—they do all these fancy moves. I like to line up, punch a guy in his face, in his mouth, in his chest, then disengage, locate the ball, throw [my defender] and make a tackle. If you can do that consistently, you'll always have a job.”

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Alot of fans were saying Jarett was to small and didn't weigh enough to play NT but as covered in that article is exactly whjy Jarret is so effective playing that position.

A lot of people said that about Aaron Donald too.

3 hours ago, atljbo said:

People forget he was a second round pick from a championship team in Alabama. He was really a fringe first round guy (35th overall); he's just getting started. 

7 hours ago, Cole World said:

JBO I was telling @PeytonMannings Forehead yesterday in the game thread that Upshaw lack of size (height) helps him with leverage. With Upshaw being shorter than most Guards he uses that as an advantage as he gets underneath the pads of Guards.

Here is a article about Packers Mike Daniels.

Now Daniels, a fourth-round pick out of Iowa in 2012, is the best player on Capers's Packers unit—and he's 6 feet and 291 pounds. “Historically, when you look at the 3–4 defense, yes, that body type doesn't fit,” says Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy. “But the fact of the matter is, it's a sub [or subpackage] league now, and he's perfect for that.”

Subpackage defenses are on the rise because with each passing year NFL offenses more closely mirror their college counterparts, spreading the defense horizontally by using multiple receivers detached from the line. That creates not only more space in the passing game but also more creases for the running game. Defenses combat this with extra DBs, speedier linebackers and smaller linemen, such as Daniels, who has thrived. In 2015 the Packers lined up in their base defense on just 18% of snaps. (The league average is 33%.) And that's not a one-year aberration. McCarthy can't recall the last time his team was over 20%.

“People talk about a defensive lineman being too short—but that's [less of an issue] today,” says Lions guard Larry Warford, who sees Daniels twice a season. “Shorter guys are hard to pass-block and run against; it's hard to get that leverage on them. Daniels is a game-changer.”

While Daniels represents the latest evolutionary step of the incredible shrinking defensive lineman, he's every bit as fierce as his predecessors. One play from Week 9 last season encapsulates all that he brings. Midway through the first quarter against the Panthers he lined up on the outside shoulder of left guard Amini Silatolu, facing an old-school, two-back alignment. On the snap Daniels backed up Silatolu a few steps by staying low and leveraging beneath Silatolu's pads. Then he used his brute strength, tossing the 6' 4", 320-pound Silatolu to the ground, and quickly flushed Cam Newton out of the pocket for an incomplete pass. “The difference between Mike and other short guys is that he's just absolutely strong,” says Warford. “He can throw you off balance easy and attack.”

“I've had quite a few plays where I've just dominated the guy across from me,” Daniels, 27, says matter-of-factly. “A lot of these defensive linemen, they're real whirling dervishes—they do all these fancy moves. I like to line up, punch a guy in his face, in his mouth, in his chest, then disengage, locate the ball, throw [my defender] and make a tackle. If you can do that consistently, you'll always have a job.”

And we already know Upshaw is strong as s***. 

Edited by atlbaby