Jump to content

Herm Edwards Gets It


Falconsfan567
 Share

Recommended Posts

Testify Herm.  What are the Pokes playoff bona fides from the last couple of decades?  I heard Alex Marves say,  ".......ah the Falcons........I'll believe in them when they show me something."

Well I'll believe in the Cowboys when they show me something.  Just turned off a debate on whether Dallas or New England will win the Lombardi this year.                       

................uhhhhh............neither?  Tell 'em Herm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sonnyjim said:

Testify Herm.  What are the Pokes playoff bona fides from the last couple of decades?  I heard Alex Marves say,  ".......ah the Falcons........I'll believe in them when they show me something."

Well I'll believe in the Cowboys when they show me something.  Just turned off a debate on whether Dallas or New England will win the Lombardi this year.                       

................uhhhhh............neither?  Tell 'em Herm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Brady is always a Lombardi favorite. That said I think by next year we can win one with a revamped D line, experienced backers and a WS stud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

Screw next year. Win NOW.

Agree... next year we could lose someone big to injury or any number of things can happen. We've got one of the most prolific offenses in the history of the NFL, and this is why we need to win right now.

Next year will take care of itself but as for now... get it while the gettings good. I will never understand how some (not implying anyone in particular, but some) have had this attitude that they are satisfied because we were not supposed to be this  good yet but next year will be our time.

Screw that... we're good enough to be the 2nd seed heading into the last week of the season. Seems to me that our time is now. Right now... not 2017, not 2018..

Now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Agree... next year we could lose someone big to injury or any number of things can happen. We've got one of the most prolific offenses in the history of the NFL, and this is why we need to win right now.

Next year will take care of itself but as for now... get it while the gettings good. I will never understand how some (not implying anyone in particular, but some) have had this attitude that they are satisfied because we were not supposed to be this  good yet but next year will be our time.

Screw that... we're good enough to be the 2nd seed heading into the last week of the season. Seems to me that our time is now. Right now... not 2017, not 2018..

Now.

Agreed, that's the mindset I want this team to have...Atlanta braves kept saying 'wait till next year' and should have had a ******* dynasty with 3-4 World Series championships during their run ...

i want a super bowl this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Agree... next year we could lose someone big to injury or any number of things can happen. We've got one of the most prolific offenses in the history of the NFL, and this is why we need to win right now.

Next year will take care of itself but as for now... get it while the gettings good. I will never understand how some (not implying anyone in particular, but some) have had this attitude that they are satisfied because we were not supposed to be this  good yet but next year will be our time.

Screw that... we're good enough to be the 2nd seed heading into the last week of the season. Seems to me that our time is now. Right now... not 2017, not 2018..

Now.

Agreed. Haven't we learned anything from watching the 2012 or 1980 team almost get there or other teams who lost Super Bowls say 'yeah but next year will certainly be our turn' (cough cough, Carolina), only to lose a guy here, lose a coach there, have a guy get hurt who was a key player, then helplessly watch as they go from 13-3 one season to 7-9 the next?

When the iron is hot, you strike until you hit paydirt. As Jerry Glanville famously stated, NFL stands for Not For Long. You never know what the following season might bring...

Edited by ratesforless
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2016 team is better balanced offensively and has a better defense for a run at the Super Bowl than any Falcons team since 1998.  Every team left in the NFC will have problems with the Falcons offense,it's just how much they can continue to get from the defense the front 7 in particular. #2 seed would be huge,but think they could still get there from #3. Taints aren't going to lie down expect a typical New Orleans /Atlanta match up need to keep riding the momentum they have . 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2016 at 11:43 PM, TheUsualStuff said:

Agree... next year we could lose someone big to injury or any number of things can happen. We've got one of the most prolific offenses in the history of the NFL, and this is why we need to win right now.

Next year will take care of itself but as for now... get it while the gettings good. I will never understand how some (not implying anyone in particular, but some) have had this attitude that they are satisfied because we were not supposed to be this  good yet but next year will be our time.

Screw that... we're good enough to be the 2nd seed heading into the last week of the season. Seems to me that our time is now. Right now... not 2017, not 2018..

Now.

The biggest thing I'm worried about next year is losing Shannahan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 A legitimate concern but now that the system is in place I'm sure his replacement would keep this system in place.  There wouldn't be any new terminology or major changes brought in, so with this talent we would be okay if that was the only issue we faced.

We could however face more than just that one issue. Its just that everything clicking together like our offense has this year is a rare thing so the point is to make the hay, now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

 A legitimate concern but now that the system is in place I'm sure his replacement would keep this system in place.  There wouldn't be any new terminology or major changes brought in, so with this talent we would be okay if that was the only issue we faced.

We could however face more than just that one issue. Its just that everything clicking together like our offense has this year is a rare thing so the point is to make the hay, now.

I hope you're right but I'm not sure where you get that impression. Seems to me most coordinators like to force their system on the players, rather than using the previous coach's system. A while back I started a thread about this. We could look for another coach that using a similar zone blocking scheme, but will that guy be as good of a teacher and play caller? We have great personnel on that side of the ball (we should given how much money we've spent on it). We've got a great core coming back: a top 5 QB, two very solid tackles, a pro-Bowl center, the best wide out in the league, a good #2, two headed RB monster, and hopefully we'll have two tight ends as well (I think Tamme's contract is up). But, seeing as this is year two of Shannahan's offense, I can't help but think he is a huge part of the equation. I worry about that 

Edited by ShanghaiDirtyBird
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I'm absolutely positive that if the Falcons had to replace Shanahan,  they would promote from within or hire someone who runs a similar version of the West Coast offense and who would keep things the same as much as possible. This wouldn't be regime change.

It would be absolute insanity to bring in someone who would run a completely different system than the one that JUST FINISHED AS THE NUMBER 1 OFFENSE IN THE NFL. That's where I get "that impression".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

 I'm absolutely positive that if the Falcons had to replace Shanahan,  they would promote from within or hire someone who runs a similar version of the West Coast offense and who would keep things the same as much as possible. This wouldn't be regime change.

It would be absolute insanity to bring in someone who would run a completely different system than the one that JUST FINISHED AS THE NUMBER 1 OFFENSE IN THE NFL. That's where I get "that impression".

Matt Lafleur the QB coach has been with Shanahan every year since 2008 expect 2014. If Shanahan get a head coaching gig he will probably take him to be his OC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ratesforless said:

Agreed. Haven't we learned anything from watching the 2012 or 1980 team almost get there or other teams who lost Super Bowls say 'yeah but next year will certainly be our turn' (cough cough, Carolina), only to lose a guy here, lose a coach there, have a guy get hurt who was a key player, then helplessly watch as they go from 13-3 one season to 7-9 the next?

When the iron is hot, you strike until you hit paydirt. As Jerry Glanville famously stated, NFL stands for Not For Long. You never know what the following season might bring...

I was one of those who earlier this year was saying this wasn't the year and 2017 and 2018 was the more realistic window of opportunity. 

But two things have persuaded me "now is the time":

1) the NFC has opened up. Seattle's injuries have hobbled them and they are a shell of their potential when they have to play on the road. Being able to secure the #2 seed gives ATL a path to the SB I didn't think was possible. Hosting Seattle in the 2nd round and either playing at Dallas or hosting NYG/GB in an NFCCG is a difficult but not impossible task;

2) the D is growing up fast. Sunday's game vs the Saints will reveal a lot, imo, because that offense is legit, but the Falcons D has really stepped up the second half of the season. ATL will need Beasley and Jones to force turnovers and the secondary to continue to play solidly. I thought it would be 2017 before this D would be good enough to make ATL a contender but if they can hold NO under 27 points, I'll feel good about them doing enough against GB/NYG/DAL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...