I'm man-crushing on Marcus Maye as our next FS

MSalmon

Yes, I know he's another gator recruited by Quinn. But, that said I just like his game. Powerful hitter, great angles and familiarity with Keanu and Quinn doesn't hurt.

got a broke arm. Couple of questions:

1) who likes him?

2) what round do you like him in?

im seeing late first, or early second. I might reach for him if in first. 

for our FS position we need a pretty special athlete.

dude needs to be rangey af, able to cover a ton of turf quickly

also needs to be able to read the QB's eyes really well & make plays on the ball

most important thing though is we need a super reliable tackler.

our FS is the last line of defense.

does Maye fit all these categories? I haven't checked him out yet.

4 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

also needs to be able to read the QB's eyes really well & make plays on the ball

When you start scouting, check him out. He's pretty rangy. Not Earl Thomas good, but a lot better than Rico and definitely in that elite athleticism range. He's a massive hitter and run support guy fur a FS as well

im just now scouting him, and to be honest I'm incredibly impressed with the way he plays fast but intelligent

Just now, MSalmon said:

When you start scouting, check him out. He's pretty rangy. Not Earl Thomas good, but a lot better than Rico and definitely in that elite athleticism range. He's a massive hitter and run support guy fur a FS as well

im just now scouting him, and to be honest I'm incredibly impressed with the way he plays fast but intelligent

I don't start scouting until after the combine, but assuming he has even slightly above average athleticism I'll be checking him out for sure.

I have a late 2 on him. Fit for the Falcons is amazing though. Instinctual and very good player. Extremely rangy athlete and lays the wood like Neal does. The combo of him and Neal would be easy to get on the same page too considering how well they've already played together at UF. Add in Poole at nickel/dime and the Falcons could have their own Legion of Boom.

1 hour ago, Scott Carasik said:

I have a late 2 on him. Fit for the Falcons is amazing though. Instinctual and very good player. Extremely rangy athlete and lays the wood like Neal does. The combo of him and Neal would be easy to get on the same page too considering how well they've already played together at UF. Add in Poole at nickel/dime and the Falcons could have their own Legion of Boom.

Agree. It'll be interesting to see his stock at post-combine. I'm like you, right now, and have him as a 2nd rounder.

that said, assuming he has a good/great combine, I'd have zero problem is taking him in the first, simply because he's a great fit and huge upgrade over Allen at a critical position 

maybe "Gator Tank" is the new secondary nickname if we got Maye? 

8 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Agree. It'll be interesting to see his stock at post-combine. I'm like you, right now, and have him as a 2nd rounder.

that said, assuming he has a good/great combine, I'd have zero problem is taking him in the first, simply because he's a great fit and huge upgrade over Allen at a critical position 

maybe "Gator Tank" is the new secondary nickname if we got Maye? 

I'd be ok with that or something similar. The Swamp Things

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

I'm not sure Maye has the range to play the single high safety. 

He does. He's had to play that at times as well. Hooker and Adams are probably the only two with better range. Hooker is going back to school, I think. And Adams is a rope ten guy

5 hours ago, Scott Carasik said:

I agree with that.

Just a heads up Ricardo Allen is an ERFA, so he isn't going anywhere this offseason. Plus, in 2018 he'll be a RFA so he'll receive at least a 2nd rd tender (we just gave Worrilow one last off season). That being said, I don't think we will address FS early in draft or try to get a starter in FA. Allen isn't the long term solution, but he is above average, still has upside considering the already considerable improvement he's shown early in his career at FS, and the team has control of him for at least another year if not 2. 

I do like Marcus Maye. If we were in need of a starting FS I'd be fine with him where we'll be drafting in the 2nd rd. Definitely not the 1st though since he isn't one of the 30 best players imo. Doesn't have elite size, athleticism, or ball-skills/play-making. I'd rather wait until the 2018 or 19 draft and get a dynamic FS in the 1st rd to pair with Neal for the long term.

I'm still on the Berry train. I think Allen would make an ideal third safety/nickel. He's physical and he's not a bad safety, but we need a CLEAR upgrade and I don't know if Maye would be that clear enough upgrade right now. Now, if we fill RG and add a DL stud in FA, I'm for Maye if his athleticism checks out. But like Kayoh I've got to sit down and watch him. Haven't yet so can't speak on his play. 

9 hours ago, vel said:

I'm still on the Berry train. I think Allen would make an ideal third safety/nickel. He's physical and he's not a bad safety, but we need a CLEAR upgrade and I don't know if Maye would be that clear enough upgrade right now. Now, if we fill RG and add a DL stud in FA, I'm for Maye if his athleticism checks out. But like Kayoh I've got to sit down and watch him. Haven't yet so can't speak on his play. 

Berry would be great. I actually like Allen, Agree with you he fits an important role as a third safety/nickel. I think Maye is a clear upgrade, but you know how the draft goes and it's really who's available. It'd be tough to take him if an edge guy were there.

id love Zeitler in FA

11 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Berry would be great. I actually like Allen, Agree with you he fits an important role as a third safety/nickel. I think Maye is a clear upgrade, but you know how the draft goes and it's really who's available. It'd be tough to take him if an edge guy were there.

id love Zeitler in FA

That's my thing. If there is a higher rated edge guy there and we didn't truly fill that void in FA, Maye would not be my pick because Allen really isn't that bad right now. He's solid, which isn't a bad thing. But for me, signing Berry and drafting Brantley is a bigger impact than signing a DT and taking Maye. But again, that's just going off what I've read/heard about Maye. 

On December 27, 2016 at 7:41 PM, vel said:

That's my thing. If there is a higher rated edge guy there and we didn't truly fill that void in FA, Maye would not be my pick because Allen really isn't that bad right now. He's solid, which isn't a bad thing. But for me, signing Berry and drafting Brantley is a bigger impact than signing a DT and taking Maye. But again, that's just going off what I've read/heard about Maye. 

I'm with you on the Edge guy. TBH I wouldn't be adverse to a trade up for a guy like Tim Williams from Bama. Maybe not Julio type trade, but 6'4" long guys who run 4.6 at 260 are rare. 

Im not as worried about interior DL in high rounds. When DQ was at Seattle the highest they ever drafted a DT was 3rd round. Most were reasonable FA signings ( McDaniel and MCDONALD ) or 4th round picks like Bryant and I think Mebane was a third rounder.

heck look at Grady with a 5th! The man knows his DL types and seems to get great value from mid rounds and FA--that's great value

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2016 at 4:45 PM, Kayoh said:

I think Maye checks all those boxes except for one in question....and it's a very important one....last line of defense. Not sure why, but he gave up some big HR plays in college. 

Even still, I'm in. 2nd round pick for us.

Just now, Vandy said:

I think Maye checks all those boxes except for one in question....and it's a very important one....last line of defense. Not sure why, but he gave up some big HR plays in college. 

Even still, I'm in. 2nd round pick for us.

I've watched Maye now and I'm not really impressed at all by him. He's good at a lot of positions but not really great at anything in particular. I don't want him at all tbh.

Just now, Kayoh said:

I've watched Maye now and I'm not really impressed at all by him. He's good at a lot of positions but not really great at anything in particular. I don't want him at all tbh.

I think maybe you should watch him some more.

:ninja: