Hopefully We Are Saving It For The Playoffs.....

Nino11

Havnt saw the No Huddle in a while, or at least since the last two games. Granted it wasn't needed against either but I remember that helping us get the offense in track and we all know Ryan is at his best operating the no huddle. Only when we stagnate I say get uptempo to get a spark

The thing is....we don't stagnate. 

A lot of people have an illogical fascination with the no huddle. With Kyle's offense, he's calling plays to set plays up later in the game. It's chess. It's not looking for a quick shot in the arm. Even Kyle's failed plays are window dressing for the long game. That's why he doesn't like his QBs audibling. It changes the gameplan and if the playcalls that rely on the defense seeing a certain look haven't been called, you cut the playbook down. That TE sneaking out the backside can't be called if the stretch zone hasn't been called from the same look repeatedly. EVEN if you know it's going to fail. 

I did see Ryan hurry guys to the line on 2 plays in the last game, and he did it in LA maybe twice then too. I think it depends on the situation and the opposition. I look for the all out no-huddle to be used in Carolina this weekend, because that Panther front 7 is still good, and has caused Ryan trouble in the past, so I think it will be part of the game plan on an early series, to keep them from subbing in players, and to get them gassed if possible. At least I hope so, because Ryan is so good at using it, that it is a thing of beauty.

5 minutes ago, vel said:

A lot of people have an illogical fascination with the no huddle. With Kyle's offense, he's calling plays to set plays up later in the game. It's chess. It's not looking for a quick shot in the arm. Even Kyle's failed plays are window dressing for the long game. That's why he doesn't like his QBs audibling. It changes the gameplan and if the playcalls that rely on the defense seeing a certain look haven't been called, you cut the playbook down. That TE sneaking out the backside can't be called if the stretch zone hasn't been called from the same look repeatedly. EVEN if you know it's going to fail. 

I've learned that there's a lot more to calling plays than just seeing what look a defense is in at any given moment during the game, or changing the tempo. I've learned the "chess" component to the game, and changing tempo really doesn't help much if your opponent has you figured out. For that matter, it doesn't help at all because it curtails whatever time your defense has to rest, hurting their ability to keep the game close while the offense figures things out.

3 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I did see Ryan hurry guys to the line on 2 plays in the last game, and he did it in LA maybe twice then too. I think it depends on the situation and the opposition. I look for the all out no-huddle to be used in Carolina this weekend, because that Panther front 7 is still good, and has caused Ryan trouble in the past, so I think it will be part of the game plan on an early series, to keep them from subbing in players, and to get them gassed if possible. At least I hope so, because Ryan is so good at using it, that it is a thing of beauty.

He only uses it when the defense isn't set or when the defense is on its heels (i.e. after a long gain), in which case they'll more than likely run the exact same play that worked before until the defense stops it. It's like in the TNF Tampa game when Ryan threw it to Julio like 3 or 4 straight times running the exact same route. Ideally, I think that's how most coordinators would like to use no-huddle.

You don't have to look further than Chip Kelly's offense to realize that a constant no-huddle isn't sustainable--not in the pro game at least. Secondly, Ryan isn't at his best when using no-huddle. He's at his best when he's in rhythm, which IS NOT the result of using no-huddle. Teams use no-huddle AFTER they have established a rhythm. That is when it is most effective.

3 hours ago, Nino11 said:

Havnt saw the No Huddle in a while, or at least since the last two games. Granted it wasn't needed against either but I remember that helping us get the offense in track and we all know Ryan is at his best operating the no huddle. Only when we stagnate I say get uptempo to get a spark

Against good defenses in particular, the no huddle isn't always reliable. There's a reason it's only called towards the end of the 1st half and at the end of the first quarter.

The faster your offense is scoring, the less rest your defense gets and the more your defense is on the field. More than anything, we want to drive down the field methodically and eat up time on the clock. The goal of any offensive coordinator - and a strategy that even Chip Kelly had to adapt to - is to keep the defense as rested as possible, which artificially deflates the points they can give up. If we keep the ball for say, 38 minutes out of 60, that only gives the opposing team 22 minutes of time their offense is on the field. This means they're getting less and less opportunities to score - and since we have a great punter in Bosher and generally good special teams play - it means that teams will naturally have to rack up more yards in order to score.

The no-huddle is good in short bursts, but it's not effective to use all the time. If we run no huddle and go 3-and-out or even if we convert a first down or two then have to punt, we've put our defense at a disadvantage. As long as we win the TOP game and don't turn the ball over, our defense will perform well enough to win every time. And if you look back at each of our losses, we had a costly turnover or two in every single game.

We just need to save the no-huddle for the two minute drill.

We use the no-huddle when we see a defensive personnel grouping we think we can exploit. It doesn't allow the defense to substitute if they get caught with the wrong personnel on the field. That is the primary advantage of the no huddle. If they have their passrushers on the bench taking a break, we can go straight into hurry up and not let them sub in. The big heavy DL get winded and we are able to run or pass on them after a big play making them run up the field for the next play.

8 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

From the title I thought this was a Sanu Bomb to Julio on a reverse sweep. 

And I thought it was something for the Defense or Special teams. Since last time I checked we have the #1 Offense that just scored +40 the last two weeks. 

Not sure what an O like that could be saving, BUTT if they are(AND it works), this could get scary.

Edited by Ezekiel 25:17

16 hours ago, vel said:

Sounds like Kyle has some Bobby Fischer in his DNA. Fischer would torment his opponents by making what seemed to be weak moves ~ like sticking his knight out on the edge of the board ~ only to unveil a "gotcha" play 15 or 20 moves later in the game utilizing that misplaced Knight.

Looking forward to seeing what Shannie has up his sleeve for the Panthers because this game is going to be just about impossible for the Falcons to win without some smoke and mirrors, a smidge of shock and awe and maybe 'checkmating' Camilla with bad intent a few times.

32 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

And I thought it was something for the Defense or Special teams. Since last time I checked we have the #1 Offense that just scored +40 the last two weeks. 

Not sure what an O like that could be saving, BUTT if they are(AND it works), this could get scary.

And you call me an a$$ man

Edited by droopy1592

18 hours ago, vel said:

I usually buy what you're selling, but you seem to be describing our 2015 offence more than our current one.  The 'I'm not going to let my QB audiblize because I have a master plan' plays were ameliorated this year with good success.  Perhaps it's just balance but no-huddle has made a comeback this year.  DQ made a point early on that we could run no-huddle under center and still utilize the zone blocking run game.  My main objection to the no huddle is when we hurry up in the no huddle.  Our D needs all the rest it can get and TOP is important, but if our D is rested and he gets a tired DL rotation then play at whatever pace keeps them on the field.  I think we have achieved a balance between Kyle's chess and Matt's shotgun skills.  The Peyton Manning style defense predicting seems to also be helped by Alex Mack's no huddle observations.

I've warmed to Kyle and taken him off probation.  Hopefully he will return and our offence will continue to evolve because this year is a noticeable improvement.

20 hours ago, vel said:

Always refreshing to read your posts man.

4 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Sounds like Kyle has some Bobby Fischer in his DNA. Fischer would torment his opponents by making what seemed to be weak moves ~ like sticking his knight out on the edge of the board ~ only to unveil a "gotcha" play 15 or 20 moves later in the game utilizing that misplaced Knight.

Looking forward to seeing what Shannie has up his sleeve for the Panthers because this game is going to be just about impossible for the Falcons to win without some smoke and mirrors, a smidge of shock and awe and maybe 'checkmating' Camilla with bad intent a few times.

Well then!

Love it. Well stroked. :tiphat: