PETER KING MMQB Blurb on ATL RB Duo and Smart Drafting

xtip

Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman, running backs, Atlanta. All season they’ve been a lethal combo for the Falcons, the kind of two-headed running threat that gives opposing defensive coordinators fits all week in preparation. In the rout of the 49ers on Sunday, Freeman and Coleman combined for 34 carries, 197 yards, 5.8 yards per rush, and three touchdowns (all from Freeman). Talk about smart drafting by GM Thomas Dimitroff: Freeman came in the fourth round in 2014, Coleman in the third round of 2015—proof that greatness doesn’t reside only at the top of the draft. It’s the kind of speed-inside running combination that every team in the league is looking for in the backfield

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/19/nfl-playoff-possibilities-titans-packers-week-15-peter-king

I love our RBs..

7 hours ago, xtip said:

Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman, running backs, Atlanta. All season they’ve been a lethal combo for the Falcons, the kind of two-headed running threat that gives opposing defensive coordinators fits all week in preparation. In the rout of the 49ers on Sunday, Freeman and Coleman combined for 34 carries, 197 yards, 5.8 yards per rush, and three touchdowns (all from Freeman). Talk about smart drafting by GM Thomas Dimitroff: Freeman came in the fourth round in 2014, Coleman in the third round of 2015—proof that greatness doesn’t reside only at the top of the draft. It’s the kind of speed-inside running combination that every team in the league is looking for in the backfield

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/19/nfl-playoff-possibilities-titans-packers-week-15-peter-king

I love our RBs..

Troffed'

I like Coleman,  I really do..but does anyone else get furious when freeman is tearing up a defense and they bring Coleman in and he starts running right into defenders? 

He reminds me so much of norwood. Just goes nowhere over and over until I'm ready to throw my TV out the window then he suddenly busts off a huge run. Just seems that way

1 minute ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

I like Coleman,  I really do..but does anyone else get furious when freeman is tearing up a defense and they bring Coleman in and he starts running right into defenders? 

He reminds me so much of norwood. Just goes nowhere over and over until I'm ready to throw my TV out the window then he suddenly busts off a huge run. Just seems that way

Doesn't really seem that way to me, especially not this season. The hot hand has stayed in.

3 minutes ago, YoungHeezy said:

Doesn't really seem that way to me, especially not this season. The hot hand has stayed in.

Yea it's not so much that it's an issue. But since he's come back from his injury, you can tell isn't seeing what freeman is seeing I guess.  It's like..oh this is working with freeman, let's put Coleman in.  It's happened a few times

4 hours ago, jdawg4876 said:

I hope tevin rounds back into full game shape. he hasnt been the same yet since he came back, before his injury he was almost as much as a wr as a RB

We haven't really been playing man to man teams like Denver where a linebacker is on him. That's why king said DC's are losing sleep gameplanning for them. Carolina plays a lot of zone so he probably won't go off in the pass game again. Keep in mind teams weren't looking for him earlier in the season. After what he single handedly did to Denver they look where 26 is now. 

13 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

Yea it's not so much that it's an issue. But since he's come back from his injury, you can tell isn't seeing what freeman is seeing I guess.  It's like..oh this is working with freeman, let's put Coleman in.  It's happened a few times

They go with the hot hand. Earlier in the season teams were game planning for only freeman. After Denver Coleman became part of the game plan. Teams aren't gonna met Coleman single handedly dismantle them like he did Denver.  

He had 4.1 yards a pop with a long of 29 yards against SF. He was balling too. Free just got the redzone carries. Earlier it was tevin. Against the rams he lead rushing. 4.5 yards a pop. Only carried the ball 8 times. Freeman has 6 carries for 6 yards. To me the only difference is we've been slightly unblalanced and pass happy. Against SF we were balanced and you saw the difference. 

KC he had 12 carries for 49 yards. 4.1 a pop. He moves the ball when he's in. 

Being at the games I might be missing something... But it seems they alternate drives mostly... or if one of them gets called for a bunch of runs on a long drive, they will swap out mid way thru the drive...

Personally I'm completely fine with how they are operating... It keeps both fresh into the fourth quarter of every game and hopefully deep into the playoffs...

I mean, can you imagine how dogged Zeke has got to be and they haven't played a single playoff game yet? He has more touches to this point in the season than he ever had as a college back...

31 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

They go with the hot hand. Earlier in the season teams were game planning for only freeman. After Denver Coleman became part of the game plan. Teams aren't gonna met Coleman single handedly dismantle them like he did Denver.  

He had 4.1 yards a pop with a long of 29 yards against SF. He was balling too. Free just got the redzone carries. Earlier it was tevin. Against the rams he lead rushing. 4.5 yards a pop. Only carried the ball 8 times. Freeman has 6 carries for 6 yards. To me the only difference is we've been slightly unblalanced and pass happy. Against SF we were balanced and you saw the difference. 

KC he had 12 carries for 49 yards. 4.1 a pop. He moves the ball when he's in. 

I'm not saying they don't go with the hot hand.  But there have been drives where freeman is doing well,  and suddenly they bring in coleman, who can't get going.  Like I said,  it isn't a huge deal but it's frustrating to watch

37 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

We haven't really been playing man to man teams like Denver where a linebacker is on him. That's why king said DC's are losing sleep gameplanning for them. Carolina plays a lot of zone so he probably won't go off in the pass game again. Keep in mind teams weren't looking for him earlier in the season. After what he single handedly did to Denver they look where 26 is now. 

he also has not had as many touches as lately. freeman is carrying the rock 73.6 percent over the last 4 games as compared to coleman. to me he has not quite looked the same.

The lesson is it simply isn't smart drafting a RB in the 1st round. Gurley looked good last year and Elliott is looking great this year and yet neither was necessary as a top 10 pick. A very good OL can get a team a good enough running game to succeed, and there will be RBs in the 3rd-5th rounds that can perform at a ProBowl level.