Top 2017 Free Agent : ED REED

FalconAge

I wanted Eric Berry before the season started, bringing up his family and cancer doctors being local. I knew he'd be expensive, but he has played beyond even my own lofty expectations.

I think the smarter move, over the long term, is to draft a safety of the near-future in a mid round, and surround them with the best coaching money can buy.

I say mid-round because of our needs on both lines. Ricardo Allen won't lose us a Superbowl, but better free safety play could transform our pass defense.

It seems likely the Bills fire Rex Ryan after the season, at which point his staff is up for grabs. He brought in HOFer Ed Reed as the assistant defensive backs coach, and he could help us reach the next level.

Belichick and Brady respected Reed more than any other defender:

Real Recognizing Real

The reason for this, beyond his physical ability and toughness, was his fundamental understanding of quarterbacks. On any given play, he was about as keyed into your offense as your own center, and his 64 career INTs are proof.

Reed was notorious for his obsessive film study during the week and offseason. He was at the facility putting in Peyton Manning-hours to know exactly what a QB likes to do in every situation, and his attention to detail allowed him to often know what the passer wanted to before he knew it himself.

One 2017 prospect that intrigues me is UConn's Obi Melifonwu, a pure size/speed freak measuring 6 ft.3, 217 lbs. His tape reveals incredible physicality and closing speed, but also a player who has significant room to grow as a student of the game.

From Marquand Manuel he would learn the rules of our Cover-3/Cover-1 scheme, our kick-step and rugby-style tackling. Ed Reed would be there to give him insight on how to read an offense.

"What does the QB like to do in this situation?" and "Where should I be?", are two questions that can be answered with a proper course of film study. The knowledge of HOW to study, as any college student will attest, makes all the difference. Recognizing patterns, discerning what info is important and what isn't; Universal skills that impact football and life.

Dwight Freeney's greatest contribution this year has been to break down the process of studying the O-line, and sharing that knowledge with Beasley and Clayborn.

Along with signing Tru, and perhaps OG Kevin Zeitler, securing Ed Reed could help cement our position as perennial Superbowl contenders, and should be of the highest priority next offseason.

ed_reed.jpg?stamp=1312242428

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Forget Berry Forget Zeitler I think we can either find a FS or a G in the draft or fa to do a job for less money.I don't want us spending on names.If we are going to spend cash let it be on a pass rusher to supplement Beasley on the other side.

This draft is lousy with good pass-rushers, and if you read my post I don't want Berry at his 2017 price.

Zeitler we sign and forget about the O-line for about 3 years, superbowl contenders each year.

This is the draft to target a LEO, a DT, and a FS.

Set it and forget with Zeitler.

25 minutes ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

So many folks wanna be "the funny guy", instead of just reading AND comprehending.

It's because the suggestion is ambiguous in the conclusion.  The Freeny reference makes it sound more like he wants a player that can help the youngsters but that is a roster spot.   As a coach/mentor/consultant part of staff..who would argue against that beyond devil's advocate?

21 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

It's because the suggestion is ambiguous in the conclusion.  The Freeny reference makes it sound more like he wants a player that can help the youngsters but that is a roster spot.   As a coach/mentor/consultant part of staff..who would argue against that beyond devil's advocate?

Just admit you didn't read before your initial post lol.

Interesting suggestion but at this point why not just stay the course? I've read on here an a few different occasions that Quinn's system is very specific about how the secondary needs to play.

When Ed played he was more like a wild card type player. I remember watching a few Ravens games where he was all over the field (pre and post snap). It was a very distinct style of safety play. Worked great in Ryan's 3-4 pressure scheme but I don't know how well that would work with our current defense.

Ed will be in the HOF for a reason. But that doesn't mean he's a good fit with our current regime.