Alex Mack Appreciation Thread

rightsaidfred

I just wanted to say how really happy I am that Mack is playing in ATL.

First - he is a great addition to our team and a boss on the OL.  Best we've had since Mud Duck.

Now, he has garnered his 4th Pro Bowl Selection, and he certainly deserves it.  How many times are we seeing him into the second level making blocks?

But I think most of all, I am happy for him.  Glad that he is on a contending team after his time in CLE.  He played hard there, too, and made the Pro Bowl 3x

But b/c of their team structure, etc, he was playing for a perennial cellar dweller.   I'm not dissing on the Browns, but just glad that Mack's getting to enjoy some wins.

Edited by rightsaidfred

Mack was our biggest addition this offseason for sure. It's been a long time since we saw really good center play. Person was horrible, but Hawley was only average. I loved MudDuck but he too was only somewhere in that above average range. Mack is a bonafide great player. 

No more does Ryan have to call the blocking assignments out for the line (Like with Person), and no more does he need to worry about the pocket just collapsing into him every other play (Like he has for a while). Mack has the leadership, the technique, the football IQ, and the speed to be everything we need in a center. 

Honestly I would go so far as to say our postseason aspirations right now are mainly because of Mack. No Mack and we probably lose those shootout games we've had this year. 

As silly as it is, the thing I noticed the most from Mack vs other centers, is when they break the huddle, he turns and hustles to the ball...

And at the end of every play he's always the first to spot the huddle position...

In the business world I live in, when the little things like that are being handled perfectly, the bigger more complex issues tend to run just as smoothly...

Best FA signing in the NFL this year, not even close. The OL went from being the biggest weakness on a good, but inconsistent, Offense to a stable foundation for the best Offense in the league.

Best Center since Van Note's peak years, and given the increased athleticism along the DL from 1980 to 2016, a Mack is actually better. 

Alex has been huge for us. His addition is paying dividends both in the run and pass game. Not only that, it makes Ryan's job easier too with Mack calling the protections etc. Alex Mack has been the best FA pickup since Turner IMO. He was worth every penny. I'm happy for him too, coming from Cleveland to a team that is a contender. 

the day I logged in and saw we had signed Alex I logged out, then logged back in. had to make sure it was really true. easily the best free agent signing in the NFL last season and is paying dividends in spades. not only has he made the center position better but by calling protections Ryan only has to focus on his reads and hand-offs. plus Levitre is looking like a boss again. Mack killed about 4 birds with one stone.