Matt Ryan and his most impressive feat(s)

tl;dr

Here are the 3 QB's that lead the league in passing yards:

1. Brees: 419/589, 71.4%, 4,559 yards, 34 TD's, 14 INT's
2. Cousins: 366/542, 67.5%, 4,360 yards, 23 TD's, 10 INT's
3. Ryan: 319/465, 68.6%, 4,336 yards, 32 TD's, 7 INT's

Notice the biggest difference? Ryan is close with the two of them... but he has not thrown near as many passes. Ryan is putting up these stats while not throwing near as many balls as Brees. Matt Ryan is having one the best seasons ever in terms of YPA. He is throwing the ball down the field, and doing it effectively. Let's look at these 3 QB's based on YPA:

1. Brees: 7.74 YPA
2. Cousins: 8.04 YPA
3. Ryan: 9.33 YPA

Since 2001, only 2 QB's have thrown the ball for a YPA over 9. In 2011 was Aaron Rodgers with a YPA of 9.25. In 2004 was Peyton Manning with a YPA of 9.17. As you can see, Ryan's YPA is better than both of those QB's. In those 2 years, guess what else happened... Rodgers and Manning both won MVP. Ryan is in very good company.

To compare to the all time rankings, Ryan is on pace to have one of the best years ever as well, as he is currently 13th overall in that category. Most of those years were before 1970 though, and the game has changed a lot since then. Since 1970, only 3 QB's have finished with a higher YPA than Ryan currently has right now.

In 1976, Ken Stabler finished with a 9.4 YPA. In 2000, Kurt Warner finished with a YPA of 9.9. And... in 1998, Chris Chandler finished with a YPA of 9.6. It has only happened 31 times in the league's history that a QB has finished with a YPA of over 9.0. Matt Ryan is on pace to make that number grow to 32. 

You may read this and get nothing from it at all. You may also read it and see just how good of a season our QB is having. Matt Ryan is also 6th all time in the highest QB rating for a season. With good games in these next 2, he could easily jump Peyton Manning and claim the 5th spot on that list. 

Matt Ryan is not just having one of the best season's in Falcons QB history, he is having one of the best season's in NFL history. I'm glad he is our QB. 

Stats: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_att_single_season.htm

Could you imagine a year ago if someone said Matt Ryan might win MVP or that he might have one of the best seasons ever? I'll miss those old discussions about Ryan reaching his ceiling or not having enough fire in him. Just as I believed years ago, I knew he'd eventually find himself in good company among the NFLs A grade QBs

5 minutes ago, likeriver said:

Could you imagine a year ago if someone said Matt Ryan might win MVP or that he might have one of the best seasons ever? I'll miss those old discussions about Ryan reaching his ceiling or not having enough fire in him. Just as I believed years ago, I knew he'd eventually find himself in good company among the NFLs A grade QBs

Heck I wouldn't have believed you lol. This is Ryan at his best. He is thriving in this offense. 

People have to stop acting like what we're seeing from Matt is normal stuff. He's highly efficient and leading one of the best scoring offenses of all time. For some reason, team wins are a factor in MVP voting. It doesn't factor in what the player contributed to those wins. 

3 minutes ago, vel said:

People have to stop acting like what we're seeing from Matt is normal stuff. He's highly efficient and leading one of the best scoring offenses of all time. For some reason, team wins are a factor in MVP voting. It doesn't factor in what the player contributed to those wins. 

Agreed. On our offense too, we are on pace to score 536 points this season, which would rank 8th all time. 

Another fun stat too, if we score 48 on Carolina and 45 on New Orleans again, we would finish with 562 points this season, 3rd all time. Don't see it happening, but that would be AWESOME. And that could also give Ryan the 8 TD passes he needs to hit 40 on the season. Would love a 5000/40 season...

What should scare the rest of the league is that 5000/40 may be Ryan's norm for the next few years.

If Ryan gets to 5000, he'll do it in fewer throws than anybody else, 75-100 throws fewer than anybody else,except for Marino, he'd be about 30 throws ahead of Marino.

As I said in another thread, love to see Ryan get another 500 yards against the panthers, not that I think it's possible, just like the idea of Ryan getting 5000 yards and 1000 of that coming against one team.

4 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Notice the biggest difference? Ryan is close with the two of them... but he has not thrown near as many passes. Ryan is putting up these stats while not throwing near as many balls as Brees. Matt Ryan is having one the best seasons ever in terms of YPA. He is throwing the ball down the field, and doing it effectively. Let's look at these 3 QB's based on YPA:

Since 2001, only 2 QB's have thrown the ball for a YPA over 9. In 2011 was Aaron Rodgers with a YPA of 9.25. In 2004 was Peyton Manning with a YPA of 9.17. As you can see, Ryan's YPA is better than both of those QB's. In those 2 years, guess what else happened... Rodgers and Manning both won MVP. Ryan is in very good company.

To compare to the all time rankings, Ryan is on pace to have one of the best years ever as well, as he is currently 13th overall in that category. Most of those years were before 1970 though, and the game has changed a lot since then. Since 1970, only 3 QB's have finished with a higher YPA than Ryan currently has right now.

In 1976, Ken Stabler finished with a 9.4 YPA. In 2000, Kurt Warner finished with a YPA of 9.9. And... in 1998, Chris Chandler finished with a YPA of 9.6. It has only happened 31 times in the league's history that a QB has finished with a YPA of over 9.0. Matt Ryan is on pace to make that number grow to 32. 

You may read this and get nothing from it at all. You may also read it and see just how good of a season our QB is having. Matt Ryan is also 6th all time in the highest QB rating for a season. With good games in these next 2, he could easily jump Peyton Manning and claim the 5th spot on that list. 

Matt Ryan is not just having one of the best season's in Falcons QB history, he is having one of the best season's in NFL history. I'm glad he is our QB. 

Stats: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_att_single_season.htm

Well I realize you mean his most impressive feats as a football player. However his most impressive feats is that he takes care of his Family, locker room, is a good Husband to his beautiful wife, takes care of his communities (ATL, Philly and Boston), and has time to be the worlds best Dam Quarterback at this point of the season that just coincidentally happens to be my Quarterback. So, for what it's worth I beg to differ. ;)

Edited by FenixFalcon

7 hours ago, FenixFalcon said:

Well I realize you mean his most impressive feats as a football player. However his most impressive feats is that he takes care of his Family, locker room, is a good Husband to his beautiful wife, takes care of his communities (ATL, Philly and Boston), and has time to be the worlds best Dam Quarterback at this point of the season that just coincidentally happens to be my Quarterback. So, for what it's worth I beg to differ. ;)

Well you got me on this one! 

14 hours ago, tl;dr said:

tl;dr

Hey OP all these stats tell me is how balanced we are.

Teams talk about being balanced but in all reality they aren't they predicate themselves on one or the other.

I think when there talking diversity the Falcons are the blue print for it and it's why we are so hard to stop.In all essence teams look for tendencies and outside of looking in on Julio Ryan has options a plenty which truely stifles even the best defenses.