FoP end the racial profiling act

lostone

https://www.fop.net/CmsPage.aspx?id=165

The Grand Lodge does not condone or support any police practice in which race is used as the sole reason to initiate a stop or trigger a search. The resolution adopted by the Grand Lodge in September 2000 in support of that position is online for your information and review.

This legislation, however well-intentioned, creates a number of serious problems for law enforcement and for public safety. We have outlined the reasons that the Fraternal Order of Police is opposed to this legislation in this document. Unless and until these concerns are addressed, we will be working to defeat the S. 989/H.R. 2074.

well this should be entertaining 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Race should never be the "sole" reason for looking for criminals (aka profiling).  However, it will almost always be part of the equation, if applicable.  Police are supposed to protect the public and lockup bad guys.   If a criminal is on the loose and is reported to be black, then those going through a road block that are black are going to receive more scrutiny - if white, same.

Do blacks receive more scrutiny than their white counterparts? Yes.  Do black men commit more crime per capita than white men? Yes.   If you are a muslim student from Pakistan here in America on a student visa going to a flight school - are the Feds going to watch you more closely? Absolutely.

Profiling is a very effective tool used by all law enforcement.  Is it always used correctly in every instance?  NO.  

Do minorities resent the extra scrutiny? ABSOLUTELY

Are there some hick white cops that abuse their authority? SURE

I trust law enforcement to police themelves and they need to continue to improve screening out those that want to be cops and abuse their power.   However, I don't want stupid laws that take away an effective law tool away from those charged with protecing us all.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

If a criminal is on the loose and is reported to be black, then those going through a road block that are black are going to receive more scrutiny - if white, same.

Do blacks receive more scrutiny than their white counterparts? Yes.  Do black men commit more crime per capita than white men? Yes. 

I trust law enforcement to police themelves

1.  They don't all look the same.

2.  Maybe they "commit" more crimes per capita only because police focus on them instead of whites?

3.  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

5 minutes ago, shc said:

1.  They don't all look the same.

2.  Maybe they "commit" more crimes per capita only because police focus on them instead of whites?

3.  LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

nothingburger response.   LOL is not an intelligent response.   So "whites don't get caught" - okaaaaaay.

5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yes, Obama told Mitt Romney the 80s called and they wanted their foreign policy back...one of many blunders 

Cause it cost her a second term as first lady? Or do we suddenly member how much we loved some Romney 4 years back :mmmhmm:

22 minutes ago, unbelievable said:

A friend of mine looks like a terrorist. I hate flying with him. He ALWAYS gets an extra pat down. It doesn't help that he refuses to check his pockets.

However, I support profiling; because I believe in working smarter, not harder.

It's nice when it's not you

23 minutes ago, unbelievable said:

A friend of mine looks like a terrorist. I hate flying with him. He ALWAYS gets an extra pat down. It doesn't help that he refuses to check his pockets.

However, I support profiling; because I believe in working smarter, not harder. Even if it's at the expense of other people who have done nothing to deserve said treatment.

Fify.

P.S. What a ****** post and thought process.

11 hours ago, Jpowers said:

Fify. Lol. #pajamaboy.

P.S. What a ****** post and thought process.

Does it offend you to be smart rather than PC? Would you rather they check the grandma or the 10yr old? .

Time to check yo' privilege. Some of us didn't grow up sheltered.

Only the idiots don't profile. The rest get their #$% kicked or worse.

1 minute ago, unbelievable said:

Does it offend you to be smart rather than PC? Would you rather they check the grandma or the 10yr old? .

It doesn't impact you, so it's cool 

12 minutes ago, unbelievable said:

So I grew up privileged and sheltered? That news to me.

Let's take a look at your post though. "I hate flying with my friend because TSA stops him every time". Imagine being that guy. But hey it's cool because work smarter not harder. That thought process is just stupid.

How about "Work harder so you aren't interfering with people who have done nothing wrong besides being a certain ethnicity or religion".

On 12/22/2016 at 9:12 AM, Jpowers said:

So I grew up privileged and sheltered? That news to me.

Let's take a look at your post though. "I hate flying with my friend because TSA stops him every time". Imagine being that guy. But hey it's cool because work smarter not harder. That thought process is just stupid.

How about "Work harder so you aren't interfering with people who have done nothing wrong besides being a certain ethnicity or religion".

The work harder quote is about using profiling to narrow the possible suspects rather than blindly searching through random people. And unless you have figured out some other way to determine if someone is more prone to doing something wrong, profiling is the best predictor of behavior. (just ask insurance companies).

My friend is neither middle eastern nor Muslim. He just looks like a terrorist so he gets searched. He seems to be okay with it. (Although he used to live in a country where they hand patted everyone, so I think he sees the occasions where he is not being searched as a bonus)

You're privileged because you grew up in a homogeneous society where everyone is expected to have the same cultural values. (like privacy and freedom of speech)

19 minutes ago, unbelievable said:

You're privileged because you grew up in a homogeneous society where everyone is expected to have the same cultural values. (like privacy and freedom of speech)

I know, right? How are you supposed to run a proper authoritarian state when those pesky natural rights keep getting in the way?

On 12/21/2016 at 10:25 AM, g-dawg said:

Race should never be the "sole" reason for looking for criminals (aka profiling).  However, it will almost always be part of the equation, if applicable.  Police are supposed to protect the public and lockup bad guys.   If a criminal is on the loose and is reported to be black, then those going through a road block that are black are going to receive more scrutiny - if white, same.

Do blacks receive more scrutiny than their white counterparts? Yes.  Do black men commit more crime per capita than white men? Yes.   If you are a muslim student from Pakistan here in America on a student visa going to a flight school - are the Feds going to watch you more closely? Absolutely.

Profiling is a very effective tool used by all law enforcement.  Is it always used correctly in every instance?  NO.  

Do minorities resent the extra scrutiny? ABSOLUTELY

Are there some hick white cops that abuse their authority? SURE

I trust law enforcement to police themelves and they need to continue to improve screening out those that want to be cops and abuse their power.   However, I don't want stupid laws that take away an effective law tool away from those charged with protecing us all.

Good points g dawg, but your not supposed to use common sense in America these days. That's all going to change in a very short time. As for profiling, we ALL profile in our own heads. Its logical to look around and survey your surroundings. Its logical for police to go where the criminals are. Its logical to lock your door at night. The real absurdity to Not profiling, gets people Killed. We are being told NOT to be alert, not to use common sense, just look at our Airports with granny getting assaulted in her wheelchair, while Muhammed walks thru un molested. 

4 hours ago, dirtyhairy said:

Good points g dawg, but your not supposed to use common sense in America these days. That's all going to change in a very short time. As for profiling, we ALL profile in our own heads. Its logical to look around and survey your surroundings. Its logical for police to go where the criminals are. Its logical to lock your door at night. The real absurdity to Not profiling, gets people Killed. We are being told NOT to be alert, not to use common sense, just look at our Airports with granny getting assaulted in her wheelchair, while Muhammed walks thru un molested. 

I really wish you guys could experience it.  It seems to be the only way you care.  Like how people are starting to feel the war on drugs went too far due to heroine.