m2Falcons pre-Xmas Mock

PapaJoe

Assuming we pick in the mid-to-late 20s or after, and these players *Declare for the 2017 Draft. These are the players I currently view as the BPA at the draft slot and thus we are one year closer to a better roster. 

This draft is going to be a strange one due to the fact that the Defensive side of the ball is extremely heavy in quality players, and especially so when compared to the offensive side where the QB, WR, and OT positions are very weak as groups with only the unusual quality depth at RB and TE saving that side of the ball from being a virtual disaster in 2017. I am expecting the first two rounds to be at least 66% Defenseive picks and if teams strictly drafted based on BPA that percentage could be near 75% in my opinion!

1. *Solomon Thomas; DL, Stanford: *JR. (as listed on Stanford site; others show rs Soph) - 6' 3"   275-280 lbs.   I think there is a 50/50 chance he declares; currently projecting as a late 1st to early 2nd pick IF he declares for 2017. He is an absolute monster and I see him as a perfect fit in the role of an athletic "move DL" in this defense; he is incredibly stout at the PoA in the run game and has the fluidity and burst to disrupt and finish against the run as well as the pass. Thomas can play the DE or DT without missing a beat in the Falcons scheme. He plays with good pad level and finishes the play; intelligent football player, great add to the Brotherhood.

2.  Jarron Jones; DT - Notre Dame: rs SR. - 6' 5 1/2"   315 lbs.   [*IF T.J. Watt declares, and I don't think he will, then he becomes the pick here]  It looks like Jones will likely end up being slotted at the 6th to 10th best DT from what I am seeing now; I'm going to bet he ends up on the high-side of that range and ends up projecting to late 2nd to early 3rd round. The talent is there to effect the LOS and "you can never have too many quality DL on a roster" so I am loading up to win the LOS and some Lombardis. He has been inconsistent in his technique with the typical "plays too high" issues but he demonstrates a willingness to learn and improve, is intelligent with a good attitude about putting in the work and isn't a me-first type; seems like a football player that would grow into a potential great DL in the Falcons Brotherhood.

SIX TFL vs. Miami

3.  Forrest Lamp; G - Western Kentucky: rs SR. - 6' 4"   300 lbs.  (see separate topic for videos)  As a RS-Fr was the starting RG at WKU and then moved to LT for the final nine games of the season; has been the starting LT now for his Soph., Jr, and Sr. seasons. Projects to G at NFL level as a perfect fit for a ZBS team such as Atlanta; however, I also see a very good potential backup OT, or at a minimum an Emergency 4th OT on active game day roster while primarily playing Guard position; this high-level versatility is an invaluable commodity.  Also a chance he could convert to C and replace Alex Mack down the road. There are some draft pundits talking that he could go as early as the 2nd round once all of the evaluations are done and yes, the film backs it up. He plays in bowl game tonight.

4. Jeremy Sprinkle; TE - Arkansas: rs SR. - 6' 6"  256 lbs.  (see separate topic for videos)  A complete package TE that would fit seamlessly into a TE group with Hooper and Toilolo, with Perkins retained on PS. He would immediately give us another above average blocking TE, versatile enough to use an H-back, can actually be an Emergency OT if ever needed. He has long arms and long legs with the ability to eat up space quickly in the pattern; a willing and capable run blocker and can handle a pass rusher on the edge; comes from a run-first offense, can post up shorter defenders and outrun most LBs, while able to highpoint a ball or stretch out with athleticism to make the catch; moves much better than his size would indicate; has a large catch radius > Gronk.

5.  Lorenzo Jerome; FS - St. Francis: SR:. -  6' 0"  195 lbs.   Who?! Yes, he is from the FCS level but get to know the name; already being projected to go as high as 4th round in some circles. He is rated by many as the #4 FS in the class. Also a PR/KR with NFL level ability.

6.  RB: this draft class is deep with quality and quantity at RB; I am thinking that we might be able to get a very good RB in this round and there are three of them which I would be very satisfied to get at this pick. None of them may fall quite this far but the depth at the position and current valuation of the position indicates one might be there.

Kareem Hunt; RB - Toledo: Sr. -   5''11" to 6'0"     225 lbs. 

James Conner; RB - Pitt: rs Jr. -     6' 2"    240 lbs.

Jamaal Williams; RB - BYU: Sr. -   6' 2"    215 lbs.

7.  Fabian Moreau; CB - UCLA: Sr. -  6' 0"    202 lbs.   I tried to find another player as a fit here due to his popularity in others' Mocks, but like others before me found, he just makes too much sense if he does happen to fall this far.  Very early in his Jr. season he broke his foot (Lisfranc) and missed the rest of 2015; managed to return healthy for 2016 Senior season. I watch him and think he has some Trufant in him. The foot seems healthy but it will be a big downgrade on boards simply because of the impact of the "what if" and he is being projected currently as a 6th to 7th rd. pick. He is one of those CBs that could prove invaluable in a season or two once he has adapted to the techniques the Falcons use and he proves healthy.

14 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

In my perfect world it is Eric Berry.

You just earned a A+++++

in all seriousness, it'll be interesting if we go after a Berry or use a top 2 round pick on a FS. Definitely a weakness

14 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

In my perfect world it is Eric Berry.

3 hours ago, Colin_Pernett said:

I would really love this. I think swapping Lamp and Jones would make it more realistic though. I think Lamp might be a 1st rounder when it's all said and done. Sprinkle probably won't be there in the fourth either

Well, an easy work around those issues, and the RB in the 6th issue, is simply bump out Jones and slide everyone up one round; that would likely get you all the same guys.

I like this mock a lot, but, of course, I will critique.

We need a penetrating DT in the worst way.  Babs is past his prime and Jarrett, though good, can not operate alone.  I am looking for a penetrating DT in the first round.  I think we may have a shot at Brantley, so he is my guy.  I think he is of the same quality as Thomas, just better suited for what we need.  

Of course, we could go FA for our DT need.  Philly has a DT coming up for his contract ( I can't remember his name).  Perhaps that's the way to go.  For now, I'll just go with Brantley and maybe think about luring Eric Berry back home.    

The word is out on Lorenzo Jerome.  I think he could go in the third.  If we don't score Eric Berry, then this guy could be our long term answer.  I am convinced that we will need to draft a FS in the second or third rounds.    

23 hours ago, MSalmon said:

So who is our starting FS? If you say Allen, you fail:) 

i do love Solomon with first pick!

Allen isn't a world beater but he has been serviceable at FS. There isn't really anyone who will realistically hit FA or in the draft, at least from what I've noticed, that would be an upgrade over him either.

55 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Allen isn't a world beater but he has been serviceable at FS. There isn't really anyone who will realistically hit FA or in the draft, at least from what I've noticed, that would be an upgrade over him either.

Allen is a game manager as opposed to a game changer. I agree that in FA the only upgrade would be Duron Harmon, but he won't get away from NE.

In the draft tho I can see a couple of guys who will be in our range and would probably upgrade. E. Jax, Marcus Williams, and Fish Smithson. With an upgrade on the D line any one of them would be better than Allen. He's the weakest link in the secondary.

1 hour ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

You raise a valid point. I'm scouring the draft and maybe converting a Desmond King is a possibility (if he doesn't go as a CB higher). Other than that, I'm not jazzed on many FS prospects, either. Maybe baker in mid rounds to challenge?

Assuming Berry hits FA, which he may not, he'd be the best. 

18 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

You raise a valid point. I'm scouring the draft and maybe converting a Desmond King is a possibility (if he doesn't go as a CB higher). Other than that, I'm not jazzed on many FS prospects, either. Maybe baker in mid rounds to challenge?

Assuming Berry hits FA, which he may not, he'd be the best. 

I think Baker goes before our 2nd rd pick. I think you can get a guy like Williams or Jackson at our 2nd. But I prefer a DE and DT with the first 2 picks and Smithson in the 3rd to at least compete with Allen since DQ seems to like him. If we get the front taken care of first, then another playmaking FS in the 3rd would be on point. Allen is a good backup.

8 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

I think Baker goes before our 2nd rd pick. I think you can get a guy like Williams or Jackson at our 2nd. But I prefer a DE and DT with the first 2 picks and Smithson in the 3rd to at least compete with Allen since DQ seems to like him. If we get the front taken care of first, then another playmaking FS in the 3rd would be on point. Allen is a good backup.

I get that reasoning. It'll be interesting post-combine to re-discuss FS prospects. 

I do, however, think that EDGE is always my choice if BPA, followed by FS if BPA. I know we need interior DL, but looking at Quinn and Smith's past teams those guys don't necessarily come from the first round. They both seem to find talent at the DT position from 3rd round down.

additionally, if we move on from TJax, Babs and don't see Hageman or Garland as long-term fits, that's a potential of 3 open interior DL spots open. I don't see a mostly rookie rotation. Most likely we bring in a couple of vets and maybe draft one.

35 minutes ago, caver50 said:

I don't believe we need a TE, Both Hooper and Tamme will be back.

Tamme is an UFA at end of the season, will be turning 32 and coming off a contract paying 2.5MIL

Jacob Tamme  TIGHT END    Age: 31    Exp: 9 Years

Drafted: Round 4 (#127 overall), 2008         College: Kentucky

CURRENT CONTRACT

Jacob Tamme signed a 2 year, $3,200,000 contract with the Atlanta Falcons, including a $400,000 signing bonus, $400,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,600,000. In 2016, Tamme will earn a base salary of $1,900,000, a signing bonus of $200,000 and a roster bonus of $484,375. Tamme has a cap hit of $2,584,375 while his dead money value is $2,350,000.

CONTRACT:2 yr(s) / $3,200,000SIGNING BONUS$400,000AVERAGE SALARY$1,600,000GUARANTEED:$400,000FREE AGENT:2017 / UFA

YEAR AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS WORKOUT BONUS CAP HIT DEAD CAP

2015  30   $1,000,000 $200,000 $187,500 -$1,387,500 $400,000

2016  31   $1,900,000 $200,000 $484,375 -$2,584,375 $2,350,000

2017  32   UFA