Mock 12-20-16

ike barn87987

FA:

OG Brian Schwenke 

DT Stacy McGee 

LB Jon Bostic 

Round 1:

DT Montravius Adams 

I think he ends up in the 1st rd after the SB and combine. He's athletic for a big man.

Round 2:

DE Dawuane Smoot 

Has a high motor and really gets after the QB. He just needs to finish. Has a good get off and a little spin move and uses his hands well.

Round 3:

FS Fish Smithson 

He has range and makes plays all over the field. I think he fits the role we need.

Round 4:

LB Brandon Bell 

Very physical sideline to sideline player. A good guy to add to Jones and Campbell.

Round 5:

SS Jamal Carter 

Round 6:

TE George Kittle 

Very good blocking TE 

Round 7:

OG/C Chase Rouiller 

Fits our ZBS. Versatile guy who played G last year and C this year.

Both the Titans and Wyoming run power blocking schemes - I don't see Brian Schwenke or Chase Rouiller as good fits in the ZBS.

I like the Stacy McGee & Jon Bostic pickups and Dawaune Smoot is severely underrated - I have him as the 5th best pass rusher in the draft behind Garrett, Williams, Barnett & Lawson. 

I'm not the biggest fan of Adams, and I don't think he ends up in the 1st. I also don't get the Jamal Carter pick as I don't think we have a need at SS.

2 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Both the Titans and Wyoming run power blocking schemes - I don't see Brian Schwenke or Chase Rouiller as good fits in the ZBS.

I like the Stacy McGee & Jon Bostic pickups and Dawaune Smoot is severely underrated - I have him as the 5th best pass rusher in the draft behind Garrett, Williams, Barnett & Lawson. 

I'm not the biggest fan of Adams, and I don't think he ends up in the 1st. I also don't get the Jamal Carter pick as I don't think we have a need at SS.

Wisconsin O-lineman are just largely overrated. Haven't actually seen Rouiller, but yeah, they run power in college, doesn't mean he wouldn't fit in the NFL, different type of player your going against. Technically every power 5 college runs power really even teams that run the spread. Its' more about feet, attitude, and football IQ as far as zone as well as body type.  See Gabe Carimi, Joe Thomas, our own Peter Konz lol, and Kevin Zeitler. They all could run zone if needed, not saying that they all would be successful lol, Wisconsin O-lineman are overrated.

5 minutes ago, datchrisb1 said:

Wisconsin O-lineman are just largely overrated. Haven't actually seen Rouiller, but yeah, they run power in college, doesn't mean he wouldn't fit in the NFL, different type of player your going against. Technically every power 5 college runs power really even teams that run the spread. Its' more about feet, attitude, and football IQ as far as zone as well as body type.  See Gabe Carimi, Joe Thomas, our own Peter Konz lol, and Kevin Zeitler. They all could run zone if needed, not saying that they all would be successful lol, Wisconsin O-lineman are overrated.

He's from Wyoming not Wisconsin

Mayock said he's a zone guy

1 minute ago, ike barn87987 said:

He's from Wyoming not Wisconsin

Oh, yeah my bad I miss read that. In either case the point is practically everybody is running power. As stated haven't seen him play, I just don't think a college team running power (which practically every single one does), really says a guy can't play in a zone blocking scheme.

On 20/12/2016 at 6:36 PM, datchrisb1 said:

Oh, yeah my bad I miss read that. In either case the point is practically everybody is running power. As stated haven't seen him play, I just don't think a college team running power (which practically every single one does), really says a guy can't play in a zone blocking scheme.

All teams in college incorporate some zone concepts of zone blocking, some obviously more than others. There are a bunch of colleges that run a lot of zone. Utah run an outside zone, alabama have been running an inside zone for years, Florida State, Auburn even LSU have been running a lot of zone over the last few years. On a scale, Wyoming are right towards to bottom - they are all about the power man blocking. 

I wouldn't say guards that aren't used to zone concepts cannot fit in a ZBS, but there is obviously some projection and learning involved. 

ike, 

Just sharing my thoughts..

Bell is a physical, capable college LB, but I am simply going to tell you that he is TOO SLOW for being anything more than a stopgap roster filler in the NFL. The descriptive term "sideline to sideline player" is NOT truly a fit for Brandon Bell even in college, much less at NFL level.

Smithson may get drafted but it will be last two rounds if he does. He doesn't have what it takes to be a starting FS and I doubt he makes a roster.

Your other picks are reasonable IMO; where Adams goes is such a question...  I too thought he might get into the first but now I'm thinking he won't be able to get that high on the board because the draft is SO defense heavy already.

8 minutes ago, Matt4415 said:

My favorite 2 D linemen that could be available for us are Smoot from Illinois and Thomas from Stanford. If these were our first 2 picks to go along with a FS and DT at some point, we could have a very young and good defense. 

I'd be very happy. Think both might end up first round picks when all is said and done.

On 12/20/2016 at 8:01 AM, Smiler11 said:

Who in the draft is a balanced blocking/catching TE? With 2 TE sets, our offense could create even more mismatches , e.g., NYG in 80s, the Fernandez-Gronkowski Patriots.

32 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Who in the draft is a balanced blocking/catching TE? With 2 TE sets, our offense could create even more mismatches , e.g., NYG in 80s, the Fernandez-Gronkowski Patriots.

There are a few, this draft is loaded with TE's. The best all round, balanced TE's in the class are probably OJ Howard, Jake Butt, Jordan Leggett & Jeremy Sprinkle.

You also have guys like David Njoku, Bucky Hodges, Evan Engram & Gerald Everett who are better pass catchers than blockers at this point, but probably have higher upside.

55 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

There are a few, this draft is loaded with TE's. The best all round, balanced TE's in the class are probably OJ Howard, Jake Butt, Jordan Leggett & Jeremy Sprinkle.

You also have guys like David Njoku, Bucky Hodges, Evan Engram & Gerald Everett who are better pass catchers than blockers at this point, but probably have higher upside.

Good names for sure. Don't forget Cole Hikutini. Super athletic, big mismatch nightmare, and he's also a pretty good blocker. He has tremendous upside. 

Good article on Peter King's website on the need for pass catching TEs.