Jump to content

Which Team is More Talented???


The Vent King
 Share

Recommended Posts

That '98 Super Bowl Falcons squad or our current one?  And just for the record you can't just say the '98 team because they went to the SB and this team hasn't (yet).   I want some legit logical answers, because I keep wanting to tell myself that if that team went there's no reason why today's couldn't do the same. So far the biggest difference/reason between the two teams is the '98 team's defense was better, but I need more reasons? Or do I even need more and that's just it...help me out. 

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say the 2016 Falcons are not as diversely talented as the 98 team. However, I think the 2016 Falcons are a stronger team overall. The 98 team was really good on defense (great mix of young and veteran players), while the offense had an exciting RB, with a vet WR unit,OL and QB . The 98 offense had talent, but not like the 2016 Falcons. The 98 team had a lot of clutch moments. Where as the 16 team has played a much tougher schedule and has lit up most of their opponents. The 98 team got on a role going into the playoffs that was amazing from a Falcons fans perspective, and once Atlanta beat SF in the playoffs that year, then I new they had a great shot to get there. The 2016 Falcons look like they can beat anyone, and in my opinion, I think they will go deep and beyond, should Ryan keep it going. Ryan is the catalyst, and if he is on, then there will be no stopping the Falcons. I don't care how tough the other D is, we have an offense that can shred them all. Our defense might be coming on at the right time as well.

It's to tough for me to call, because they are so different. However, both teams are/was very special. I guess I have to go with the 16 Falcons, because they have had to play so many tough games.

Edited by 4dabirds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This team when healthy, would destroy the 98 team in everything except heart. The main reason is that the 98 team didn't have an answer for Julio. Everything else could be argued but Julio would eat them up. However, with our current defense Chandler could probably light them up and so it would be a shootout until Vic or Clay hit him a few times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I have to say the 2016 Falcons are not as diversely talented as the 98 team. However, I think the 2016 Falcons are a stronger team overall. The 98 team was really good on defense (great mix of young and veteran players), while the offense had an exciting RB, with a vet WR unit,OL and QB . The 98 offense had talent, but not like the 2016 Falcons. The 98 team had a lot of clutch moments. Where as the 16 team has played a much tougher schedule and has lit up most of their opponents. The 98 team got on a role going into the playoffs that was amazing from a Falcons fans perspective, and once Atlanta beat SF in the playoffs that year, then I new they had a great shot to get there. The 2016 Falcons look like they can beat anyone, and in my opinion, I think they will go deep and beyond, should Ryan keep it going. Ryan is the catalyst, and if he is on, then there will be no stopping the Falcons. I don't care how tough the other D is, we have an offense that can shred them all. Our defense might be coming on at the right time as well.

It's to tough for me to call, because they are so different. However, both teams are/was very special. I guess I have to go with the 16 Falcons, because they have had to play so many tough games.

And Anderson had over 1800 yards rushing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Offensively - This team by far

Defensively - The 98 team.

Overall, this team would probably beat the 98 team.

Agree with the first two, but Overall until (and hopefully) this team proves me wrong.  The '98 team was a special squad and was able to go on the road and beat one of the best teams (Vikings) I have ever seen, in one of the toughest places when the stakes where at the highest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Offensively - This team by far

Defensively - The 98 team.

Overall, this team would probably beat the 98 team.

the 2016 team for now. the 1998 defense overachieved and that was mainly because of Jamal Anderson and controlling the clock. but the years before and after they were near the bottom of the league. that 1998 defense had 1 rookie starter and averaged 6 years of experience. just my opinion as I'm usually wrong anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it depends on what rules you play by.  98 or 16.

You can't touch a WR after 5 yards these days and in 98 you could kill a guy going over the middle.

If you go by 98 rules I think it favors the 98 team.

If you go by today's rules I think today's team has the advantage.

i don't think our WRs could handle the constant mugging that they did in 98 except for Julio.  That 98 team was pretty physical so if you allow that type of play I think it would really throw off the 16 offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably not a popular opinion, but I would say the 98 Falcons nudge out this squad because of a couple of things.

Yes defense... much better and they led the league in takeaways. The real difference however comes on offense. This squad has many more weapons, no doubt, but the 98 squad also led the league in time of posession.

So the 98 team would sneak out a close win as their offense could pound the ball and keep Matt Ryan off the field. That team had the exact recipe to defeat this one. Close and certainly could go either way, but if forced to bet I would take 98 in a tough squeaker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

This team when healthy, would destroy the 98 team in everything except heart. The main reason is that the 98 team didn't have an answer for Julio. Everything else could be argued but Julio would eat them up. However, with our current defense Chandler could probably light them up and so it would be a shootout until Vic or Clay hit him a few times. 

How'd the 1998 Falcons beat the Vikings and Randy Moss then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I think it depends on what rules you play by.  98 or 16.

You can't touch a WR after 5 yards these days and in 98 you could kill a guy going over the middle.

If you go by 98 rules I think it favors the 98 team.

If you go by today's rules I think today's team has the advantage.

i don't think our WRs could handle the constant mugging that they did in 98 except for Julio.  That 98 team was pretty physical so if you allow that type of play I think it would really throw off the 16 offense.

The illegal contact rule was around back in 1998.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, 4LoveoftheGame said:

How I currently rank them

1. 1998 Falcons

2.  2012 Falcons

3.  2016 Falcons (Hopefully climbing up)

4.  1980 Falcons

5.  2004 Falcons

6.  1991 Falcons

7.  2010 Falcons

8.  2002 Falcons

This team is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than the 2012 team and it's not even close.

The 2002 team was better than the 2004 team as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The O.D.B said:

No idea, I'm not sure but, that may have been the only game we ever shut him down like we did. All other games I remember him dominating us. 

That was a **** of a game. One of the greatest ever played. But frankly the Falcons won because the best kicker in the NFL that year missed a FG that would have won it. Chandler never played a better game before or since. That game was one of the reasons why you watch football. Moss still had a good game but Tony Martin had a better one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jesus said:

That was a **** of a game. One of the greatest ever played. But frankly the Falcons won because the best kicker in the NFL that year missed a FG that would have won it. Chandler never played a better game before or since. That game was one of the reasons why you watch football. Moss still had a good game but Tony Martin had a better one.

The turning point of that game happened right before halftime. Falcons were down something like 17-7 and had just punted the ball back to the Vikings and Vikings were going for the kill shot. Chuck Smith knocked the ball away from Randall Cunningham and Lester Archambeau recovered it. Next play Chandler hit Jamal in the end zone for a TD and the Falcons were on their way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...