We should have pushed harder for Zack Brown!!

Stryka

A lot of fans had him in their off-season mocks. I sure did.  We went after guys like J. Freeman and D. Trevathan who both ultimately signed with the Bears but I feel like we should have totally gave this guy the royal treatment. He may have desired to stay in a 3-4 in which he is well equipped but I think for certain he would have no problem being an OLB or MLB in our scheme.  Dude is having a probowl season. 130 tlks, 4 scks, 2 FFs and an Int. He has good size and is one of the fastest LBs in the NFL.  He is on a 1 yr deal with Buffalo. Guys love playing in Rex's defense but with the uncertainty of how they feel about Rex in Buffalo I could see him hitting the market again. He was signed late and on a cheap 1.25 mill deal. Did I mention he is only 28 yrs old? I think we need a proven guy to add to the LB ranks to help Jones and Campbell take it to the next level.

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

A lot of fans had him in their off-season mocks. I sure did.  We went after guys like J. Freeman and D. Trevathan who both ultimately signed with the Bears but I feel like we should have totally gave this guy the royal treatment. He may have desired to stay in a 3-4 in which he is well equipped but I think for certain he would have no problem being an OLB or MLB in our scheme.  Dude is having a probowl season. 130 tlks, 4 scks, 2 FFs and an Int. He has good size and is one of the fastest LBs in the NFL.  He is on a 1 yr deal with Buffalo. Guys love playing in Rex's defense but with the uncertainty of how they feel about Rex in Buffalo I could see him hitting the market again. He was signed late and on a cheap 1.25 mill deal. Did I mention he is only 28 yrs old? I think we need a proven guy to add to the LB ranks to help Jones and Campbell take it to the next level.

I agree that adding a quality LB is a virtual necessity; I like the future of Jones, Campbell and Beasley but we need to keep adding quality to compete with them as well as improve the roster quality and depth.

Z Brown would be a reasonable FA add; another idea that Scott Carasik floated was signing Jamie Collins since he is hitting FA. That would be expensive but I've thought a lot about it and can see where it makes a ton of sense at several levels for the Falcons scheme. 

24 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

I agree that adding a quality LB is a virtual necessity; I like the future of Jones, Campbell and Beasley but we need to keep adding quality to compete with them as well as improve the roster quality and depth.

Z Brown would be a reasonable FA add; another idea that Scott Carasik floated was signing Collins away from AZ since he is hitting FA. That would be expensive but I've thought a lot about it and can see where it makes a ton of sense at several levels for the Falcons scheme. 

Do you mean Chandler Jones in AZ? Jamie Collins went to the Browns

27 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Do you mean Chandler Jones in AZ? Jamie Collins went to the Browns

Collins; I swapped the teams in my head in error. C. Jones is more of a 3-4 edge LB while Collins is more versatile all around LB.  

Which leads to the next point for follow-on responses already in the thread >> The Falcons don't run a traditional 4-3 with a true Mke; they run a heavily modified mix of 4-3 and 3-4 which is more times than not putting 2 DT types, with a Leo DE, with a SLB in pass rush (Vic), Nickel secondary (5 DBs), AND TWO LBs playing similar responsibilities to the two ILBs in a 3-4 scheme.  This is why they drafted Deion Jones in the first place and although Campbell is showing promise there is nothing wrong with getting better personnel on your roster. If Collins were added he can be BOTH a true LB in our scheme and then also play the SLB position in both coverage and pass rush roles, and BONUS is that he can also provide some Leo capacity. He literally could fill THREE roles in this defense so adding his unique skillsets would make us better!

1 hour ago, Stryka said:

So you want to take a 28yr old head case.. and replace our 22 yr old lb who is just as fast if not faster... has a FF, 3ints and 2 TDs... wait is it bc he has 4 sacks? That's the reason isn't it? Just bc the bills defense is on the field all game so he racks up tackles... seriously dude you are barking up the wrong tree on this one. If you want to replace something replace our fs and rg.. not our DROY candidates... 

Bec

3 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

So you want to take a 28yr old head case.. and replace our 22 yr old lb who is just as fast if not faster... has a FF, 3ints and 2 TDs... wait is it bc he has 4 sacks? That's the reason isn't it? Just bc the bills defense is on the field all game so he racks up tackles... seriously dude you are barking up the wrong tree on this one. If you want to replace something replace our fs and rg.. not our DROY candidates... 

That sounds like personal opinion about him being a headcase. Havent heard about any issues this year. We aren't replacing D. Jones with Z. Brown we are moving D. Jones to a position he is better suited for. Don't get me wrong, he is having a helluva year at MLB. The problem with him is that he is 225lbs and when teams run right at us, he gets pushed around. A bigger, more stout guy with speed at MLB is an upgrade and then we can have D. Jones upgrade the OLB position of which D. Campbell struggles in coverage and Worrilow lacks speed an instincts to make plays. D. Jones would be a great OLB to me. He can be a very good MLB but being in the middle of the action is rough against real physical teams. A team like Dallas would almost take him out of the game in the run. He is fast and can slip OL but he cant shed or hold point.