David Irving, who dismantled the TB offense tonight, was poached by Dallas..........................

sonnyjim

......off of the KC practice squad.  The only premium it cost the Boys was to  put him on the 53 and negotiate a contract wherein he had a little leverage for the last part of the season.  Why doesn't that happen more often?  All year I've worried about McKissic and Nick Willliams getting poached but we finally had spots for them.  But what we needed was DTackles.  We called up Mathews and Goodman who we already knew had shortcomings.  Why would we not cruise the Practice Squads of teams with good deep defenses?  As much as we research these athletes we should know about the best Dlinemen on the best Defensive Teams PSs.  Somebody in Dallas knew about Irving and picked Andy Reid's pocket.  At this time of year the contract burden would be chump change.

Edited by sonnyjim

to expect the Falcons to magically find this guy is asking a lot.  Remember, the Chiefs could not make room for this guy on their 53 - and they obviously know a thing or two about passrushers (J. Houston, T. Hali, D. Ford).  Sometimes you gotta be lucky, and that is what the Cowboys were here.

4 hours ago, sonnyjim said:

......off of the KC practice squad.  The only premium it cost the Boys was to  put him on the 53 and negotiate a contract wherein he had a little leverage for the last part of the season.  Why doesn't that happen more often?  All year I've worried about McKissic and Nick Willliams getting poached but we finally had spots for them.  But what we needed was DTackles.  We called up Mathews and Goodman who we already knew had shortcomings.  Why would we not cruise the Practice Squads of teams with good deep defenses?  As much as we research these athletes we should know about the best Dlinemen on the best Defensive Teams PSs.  Somebody in Dallas knew about Irving and picked Andy Reid's pocket.  At this time of year the contract burden would be chump change.

You do realize that David Irving has been on the Dallas squad since last season and went through a full offseason (OTA's, Mini camp, and Training camp) with them. It's not like he signed this season, jumped in the mixed and did what he did to the Packers and Bucs as you're suggesting. He was depth behind Hardy, Mincey, Lawrence, & Gregory.

39 minutes ago, Cole World said:

You do realize that David Irving has been on the Dallas squad since last season and went through a full offseason (OTA's, Mini camp, and Training camp) with them. It's not like he signed this season, jumped in the mixed and did what he did to the Packers and Bucs as you're suggesting. He was depth behind Hardy, Mincey, Lawrence, & Gregory.

No, I didn't know that   That's altogether different from grabbing some help in week 14.

32 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

This ^

OP you clearly watched the game right? You didn't see how bad that RT was? You didn't see him get benched? 

Benched?  He should have been taken to a Rape Crisis Center.  But despite today's game my question is why aren't PSs more frequently mined late in the season?  There is no doubt that teams like San Francisco would be well served to claim McKissic or Nick Williams if they needed help at reciever.  I suspect that these squads are unscouted.  I don't suspect there is some gentlemen's agreement because Front Office gentlemen are in such short supply.

3 minutes ago, sonnyjim said:

Benched?  He should have been taken to a Rape Crisis Center.  But despite today's game my question is why aren't PSs more frequently mined late in the season?  There is no doubt that teams like San Francisco would be well served to claim McKissic or Nick Williams if they needed help at reciever.  I suspect that these squads are unscouted.  I don't suspect there is some gentlemen's agreement because Front Office gentlemen are in such short supply.

Because it makes no sense to grab a guy this late into the season who knows nothing about your scheme.

6 hours ago, sonnyjim said:

I have pondered this myself.