MVPs

Jesus

Okay both Matt and Tom played in Denver against that vaunted Denver D.

Headline over at ESPN.com says "Brady Leads Patriots to 16-3 win over Broncos." Gostkowski kicked 3 field goals but whatever. It's Tom's world and we just live in it.

Tom: 16-32 188 5.9 0TD 0INT 46.0QBR 68.2 QB Rating

Back in October ESPN.com ran this headline when the Falcons won in Denver "Atlanta Falcons hand Denver Their First Loss 23-16." 

Matt: 15-28 267 9.5 1TD 0INT 66.5QBR 98.4 QB Rating

Not Matt's best day but hey he didn't marry a model or adjust the air in some footballs then destroy evidence to cover it up. I know he doesn't get credit for when the falcons win but I think he had a better game against a top D on the road. 

"But hey," you say, "I don't care about MVP. I only care if the team wins." Well the Falcons won and Matt looked pretty good doing it. Too bad he doesn't get credit for the other Matt's FGs.

A lot of it comes down to a teams record. If the Pats get the 1st overall seed Brady looks like gold no matter how he plays. Ryan might get SB 51 MVP though, so they can say whatever they want about Brady, Ryan means more to his team in this league than Brady does to his. If Matt can't win MVP with Brady on a 4 game suspension you know somethings wrong...just imagine what it would've been like if Brady was suspended the last 4 games of the season  as opposed to the 1st 4. Brady would drop out of the race all together.

2 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

IMO it has to be either Matt or Carr...

Dallas OL would be a good one too, LOL.

Carr doesn't deserve to carry Matt's jockstrap this year. There is absolutely zero argument for Carr over Ryan. Don't bother saying team record when the Falcons beat them in Oakland already. It's either Brady or Ryan and it truly should be Ryan at this point. 

OP, great post. Ryan and Brady have 4 common opponents (Sea, LA, Den, and SF). Ryan had better games in each of them. Ryan is 4-0 vs Brady in common opponents as for as QB stats are concerned. Both teams are 3-1 as far as record, but Falcons scored more points, I.e better offense in all of them. 

1 hour ago, NCFalconfan said:

Imagine Matt's numbers and win totals facing the garbage that has been the AFC East for the past decade. Say what you want about the NFC south, but from top to bottom, it's the best qb division in the NFL.

I always wondered if the division is bad because the Pats are so much better or because the other teams play worse as a result of playing the Pats.

It is interesting to note how many coaches and GMs the other teams have had since Belichik arrived.

Couldn't we just bump this thread from last week? Or the one from any of the previous 8 weeks? It's going to follow the same narrative.

"The media tugs on Brady's jock!"
"Who cares? I just want to make the playoffs!"
"It's because we're a small market team"
"Atlanta isn't really that small of a market, though"
"Yeah, but it's a transplant city"
"Matt will have to win a Super Bowl to get any credit"

There. I've covered most of the weekly responses. 

18 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I always wondered if the division is bad because the Pats are so much better or because the other teams play worse as a result of playing the Pats.

It is interesting to note how many coaches and GMs the other teams have had since Belichik arrived.

Zero quarterback stability in that division outside of Brady. Everyone else has been on a continual search for a franchise QB for years. If Tannehill is the next best QB in the division then that's very telling. Ryan plays in a division were all 4 teams have or had their franchise QB set for years.

25 minutes ago, quickzero said:

I dont think Zeke should get it. I hope he doesn't. Matt actually derserves it this year...so far. 

For a running back to win you have to have an extraordinary season, either 2000 yards rushing or 20+ TDs. Zeke has had a great year but not in that realm. Blunt's 15 TDs puts him at the same place for the Pats.

I thought Deflategate was complete utter BS, and Tom Brady's suspension was complete crap, just a way for Goodell to save face. That said, he was still suspended, and decided to stop fighting the suspension in the courts. Any other player would have been out of the running for MVP if they were suspended, especially if their team went 3-1 during the suspension. Brees is the only QB with more TDs and Yards, with 125 more attempts. 

11 hours ago, Jesus said:

Okay both Matt and Tom played in Denver against that vaunted Denver D.

Headline over at ESPN.com says "Brady Leads Patriots to 16-3 win over Broncos." Gostkowski kicked 3 field goals but whatever. It's Tom's world and we just live in it.

Tom: 16-32 188 5.9 0TD 0INT 46.0QBR 68.2 QB Rating

Back in October ESPN.com ran this headline when the Falcons won in Denver "Atlanta Falcons hand Denver Their First Loss 23-16." 

Matt: 15-28 267 9.5 1TD 0INT 66.5QBR 98.4 QB Rating

Not Matt's best day but hey he didn't marry a model or adjust the air in some footballs then destroy evidence to cover it up. I know he doesn't get credit for when the falcons win but I think he had a better game against a top D on the road. 

"But hey," you say, "I don't care about MVP. I only care if the team wins." Well the Falcons won and Matt looked pretty good doing it. Too bad he doesn't get credit for the other Matt's FGs.

I know what you mean. Matt has played better than most QBs against the too tier defense's. It's annoying that he doesn't get the mentions. It's been that way his whole career. It's not important but cmon man give them man his due.

Oh look. Brady couldn't even reach 200 yards. How pathetic. I remember when Ryan broke the 200 yard win streak record every announcer was like "Wow! Nobody's done this yet? It looks so easy! It's not really that impressive. Matt Ryan can go **** himself."

Well, apparently it's harder than it looks for poor Brady

Edited by likeriver

I'm yet to know what the legitimate "yeah but..." against Ryan for MVP. What I mean by that is;

"Brady should win it"... "yeah but he was suspended for cheating"

"Ryan should win it"... "yeah but Brady blah blah blah"

I'd love to know why Ryan is not the MVP. Not why someone else is, if you know what I mean, but why Ryan isn't.

Apart from the fact he's a Falcon of course..