Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread

1,270 posts in this topic

According to a new report by ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, Braves VP of Baseball Ops John Hart did not know about the rules violations committed by GM John Coppolella. According to the report, those violations included rules in both the international amateur market and the domestic draft.

5 minutes ago, K26dp said:

According to a new report by ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, Braves VP of Baseball Ops John Hart did not know about the rules violations committed by GM John Coppolella. According to the report, those violations included rules in both the international amateur market and the domestic draft.

I just wish they would announce the penalties already so we can accept them and move forward with finding a new GM and focus on the offseason moves needed to improve the team. The suspense of not knowing the penalties is killing me.

K26dp and Malachore like this

Mark Bowman reported former Cubs VP/GM Jim Hendry is a candidate to replace Hart if he's pushed out. He does mention that's only if they can't lure Dayton. Hendry has been an advisor and special scout for Cashman and the Yankees since 2012.

Braves DFA'd Micah Johnson, he was claimed by San Francisco. Turns out the Reds got him last week and then they DFA'd him which led to him going to SF. 

8 hours ago, K26dp said:

Really dislike that, hated most of Hendry's direction when he ran the Cubs.

Same here. He had no idea what he was doing when he was in charge of the Cubs.

DOB said Hart's job isn't safe despite reports he was innocent. He said the list of candidates to be GM and/or president of operations consist of Cherington, Hendry, Jennings and Doug Harris. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

10 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

DOB said Hart's job isn't safe despite reports he was innocent. He said the list of candidates to be GM and/or president of operations consist of Cherington, Hendry, Jennings and Doug Harris. 

So we've given up on Dayton Moore?

14 hours ago, Malachore said:

So we've given up on Dayton Moore?

I think we have to ask permission and if Dayton Moore agrees then it is about compensation. 

32 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I think we have to ask permission and if Dayton Moore agrees then it is about compensation. 

Yep, KC has already denied us permission. It's either we reach an agreement with them on compensation if Moore leaves KC or we move on. Moore is also holding to see if Hart goes. Dayton wants the president of baseball ops title. He will not answer to Hart. 

9 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Yep, KC has already denied us permission. It's either we reach an agreement with them on compensation if Moore leaves KC or we move on. Moore is also holding to see if Hart goes. Dayton wants the president of baseball ops title. He will not answer to Hart. 

Moore as Pres of Bball ops and Ben Cherington as GM.  Thoughts?

Falconsfan567 likes this

4 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Moore as Pres of Bball ops and Ben Cherington as GM.  Thoughts?

I would be jumping for joy if that happened but don't hold your breath.

On 10/7/2017 at 11:43 PM, K26dp said:

Man, you assume prospects will fail because of Brad Komminsk, and you never want to trade prospects because of Adam Wainwright. No wonder you seem so angry.

As for who is or isn't an anchor piece, I chose the guys I did because they shown me enough to make me think that way. I'd have put Acuna and Soroka there to if I wasn't worried you'd have an aneurysm. 

FWIW, Gohara has more upside than Foltynewicz or Newcomb, but all three still have the talent to be rotation staples. The only reason I don't list Foltynewicz is that he didn't progress in 2017 as hoped and now he's eligible for arbitration. I think he may be a guy traded out, but one thing that has been shown over and over again is that you should never give up on power pitchers.

I feel like I am much more realistic than you are. There is a range of potential outcomes for all of these guys. I more or less assume the middle. You assume the worst.

1) A woman literally started tearing up today as she thanked me for my kindness. If you get an angry read from me, it's misguided. I'm one of the most upbeat people on the planet. I'm just disillusioned by incompetence, and the Braves of up-until-last-month were that to the utmost degree. And as you know, I don't think much of people who try to game a system rather than compete earnestly. Coppy got revealed as a fraud, and it was hardly a surprise. People who duck competition do so because they know they can't compete.

2) As to the anchor piece thing, if you'd added the word "potential", I'd have thought nothing of it. The problem is when we start describing a guy who may not stick in the majors as an anchor piece that you lose me. I'd just said that I like Dansby but even Dansby wouldn't honestly refer to himself as an anchor piece after 700 at bats of a .671 OPS. We all want him to be, but the cart's way out in front of the horse there.

3) I actually love Gohara's stuff, but I'm worried he's going to eat his way out of baseball. Yes, a couple of famous examples exist of fat guys getting people out, but a lack of discipline to this degree. The nice thing about Atlanta right now and moving forward is that we're going to get unbiased outside opinions of who these kids really are. You mention Folty, who I saw was getting new representation. When I saw that MLBTR thing a couple of weeks ago, my first thought was, "I wonder if we non-tender him." Now, we won't and we shouldn't, not right now. But he's on final written warning with the new folks. Having good stuff isn't enough from now on. He has to start getting some people out.

4) And I feel the same about myself whereas I see you as impossibly optimistic. I suspect the difference is that I was once a prospect fanatic like you were. Years of following it obsessively made me realize that there's always going to be a top 10 prospects list. Some will succeed and some will fail. The only thing I care about is what a dude does when he's in a major league jersey. So, I'm you further down the road. But I mean when I say that I desperately want you to be right. There are few things in life I love as much as the Atlanta Braves, and the past three years have just crushed me. We failed in every way, on the field and off. Thank God it's over.