Falconsfan567

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread

772 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

Sprortac doesn't look like it's taking in dead salary.

Do the Braves have any dead money? Because it lists it for other teams but I thought the Braves were all clear of dead money now that we don't have the Swisher/Johnson fiasco on the books anymore.

I've learned to trust Braves Options Guy. Also, he's probably estimating in the below-arb salaries too. That's at least six guys at $535K = $3.21M.

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

I've learned to trust Braves Options Guy. Also, he's probably estimating in the below-arb salaries too. That's at least six guys at $535K = $3.21M.

He told me its because they have Kemp's contract wrong.

29 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

2016 20th round pick Gabe Howell has been suspended 68 games for PEDs

Bummer. Local kid.

Braves have signed former UGA and Chiefs DB Sanders Commings to a minors deal. Commings is 27 and is hoping to realize his baseball dreams. He was drafted by Arizona back in 2008 but picked football instead.

A little more on Commings. His trainer is Jerry Hairston Jr. So Hairston has been the vocal supporter for Commings efforts. According to Hairston the difference between this and Tebow is Commings isn't raw. Tebow only played baseball for two years in HS and was never drafted. Commings isn't as raw and has baseball instincts that actually got him drafted. Hairston even said Commings is a "Starling Marte type". Hairston admitted he was skeptical till he watched Commings take BP and demonstrated "he knew how to handle a bat".

Braves and Sarasota County have an agreement. County commission meets this week to review it. The deal calls for a $75.4M complex. The Braves would only be responsible for $7.5M up front and then $2M or $2.5M per year after that.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Braves and Sarasota County have an agreement. County commission meets this week to review it. The deal calls for a $75.4M complex. The Braves would only be responsible for $7.5M up front and then $2M or $2.5M per year after that.

Wow. Only $7.5M up front? I wouldn't want to be a citizen in that county and see those tax hikes coming to pay for that thing.

34 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Wow. Only $7.5M up front? I wouldn't want to be a citizen in that county and see those tax hikes coming to pay for that thing.

Tourist are paying. The county is using tourism tax to pay $21.3M. The state of Florida is paying $13.1M and the rest is being paid back by the developer, Braves and city of North Port in annual costs. Thats where the $2M or so annual "rent" the Braves are paying goes.

32 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Tourist are paying. The county is using tourism tax to pay $21.3M. The state of Florida is paying $13.1M and the rest is being paid back by the developer, Braves and city of North Port in annual costs. Thats where the $2M or so annual "rent" the Braves are paying goes.

Gotcha.