North Carolina GOP undermining the elections...

1 minute ago, unbelievable said:

Isn't the entire ideology of Conservatives based on preventing government intrusion? So if they obstruct them from doing their jobs, it's mission accomplished!

You act like the people can't function without a government babysitter.

Because anarchy is a fantastic governing philosophy for a complex society.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Let's not discuss Hillary's policy about doing away with the coal industry.  Appalachia areas have suffered enough and she lost so... 

Please dear goodness STFU about Hillary.  I would complain about Hillary too.  This is why I put that disclaimer in each message.  For stupid posts like this.

NC No Longer Considered A Democracy

"North Carolina can no longer be classified as a full-fledged democracy, according to a bombshell report that likens it to countries like Cuba, Indonesia, and Sierra Leone.

The Electoral Integrity Project gave the state a score of 58/100. When it came to legal framework and voter registration, North Carolina earned a 7/10 – similar to Iran and Venezuela. 

“If it were a nation state, North Carolina would rank right in the middle of the global league table – a deeply flawed, partly free democracy that is only slightly ahead of the failed democracies that constitute much of the developing world," wrote Andrew Reynolds, a professor of political science at the University of North Carolina and co-founder of the EIC, which has measured 213 elections in 153 countries since 2012."

3 hours ago, k-train said:

NC No Longer Considered A Democracy

"North Carolina can no longer be classified as a full-fledged democracy, according to a bombshell report that likens it to countries like Cuba, Indonesia, and Sierra Leone.

The Electoral Integrity Project gave the state a score of 58/100. When it came to legal framework and voter registration, North Carolina earned a 7/10 – similar to Iran and Venezuela. 

“If it were a nation state, North Carolina would rank right in the middle of the global league table – a deeply flawed, partly free democracy that is only slightly ahead of the failed democracies that constitute much of the developing world," wrote Andrew Reynolds, a professor of political science at the University of North Carolina and co-founder of the EIC, which has measured 213 elections in 153 countries since 2012."

Stripping a governor (single) of it's power and giving it to an elected legislature (many) is less democratic.

Basically, the entire premise of the professors "paper" is that the losing side doesn't get a trophy too.

7 hours ago, lostone said:

So why even have an executive branch then?

Or an election?  

That's the disgraceful part of this.  Republicans lost the election for Governor, so they give executive power to the legislature where they still hold the majority...but only until they win the Governor again and then they restore those powers.  

It's an authoritarian mentality.

28 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I'm really ready for this fake news thing to die, but I guess we have at least 4 more years about it. 

It's pretty obvious what they're doing.  It's the "I'm rubber you're glue" tactic applied to politics.

When shown that they spread actual fake news articles, they revert to calling everything from credible news agencies "fake news".  

When shown actual racist comments from some people on their side of the aisle, they call everything else "racist".  "BLM is more racist than the KKK!"

It's extremely intellectually lazy and transparently stupid.  But they keep doing it day in and day out.

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

It's pretty obvious what they're doing.  It's the "I'm rubber you're glue" tactic applied to politics.

When shown that they spread actual fake news articles, they revert to calling everything from credible news agencies "fake news".  

When shown actual racist comments from some people on their side of the aisle, they call everything else "racist".  "BLM is more racist than the KKK!"

It's extremely intellectually lazy and transparently stupid.  But they keep doing it day in and day out.

They have an automatic "out" for anything they disagree with now, just call it fake. 

12 hours ago, unbelievable said:

Stripping a governor (single) of it's power and giving it to an elected legislature (many) is less democratic.

Basically, the entire premise of the professors "paper" is that the losing side doesn't get a trophy too.

Why did they wait until they lost the governorship to do this?

On 12/27/2016 at 9:40 AM, mdrake34 said:

I'm really ready for this fake news thing to die, but I guess we have at least 4 more years about it. 

It's been around a longtime why would you expect it to go away in 4 years?  Until it's not controlled by the state it will remain a staple in the foreseeable future.  

On 12/27/2016 at 10:14 AM, mdrake34 said:

They have an automatic "out" for anything they disagree with now, just call it fake. 

And it's become a concerted effort by right-wing media:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/25/us/politics/fake-news-claims-conservatives-mainstream-media-.html?mabReward=CTM&recp=6&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=CColumn&module=Recommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine&_r=0

We have to recognize that this stuff is not just some isolated nutwhacks on the internet.  Prominent conservative and Republican media personalities are intentionally spreading this "everything is fake" nonsense with the goal of brainwashing their followers (like Snake and WFW) into dismissing any credible evidence if it doesn't come from some far-right nut like Breitbart or Limbaugh.  

26 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

And it's become a concerted effort by right-wing media:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/25/us/politics/fake-news-claims-conservatives-mainstream-media-.html?mabReward=CTM&recp=6&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&region=CColumn&module=Recommendation&src=rechp&WT.nav=RecEngine&_r=0

We have to recognize that this stuff is not just some isolated nutwhacks on the internet.  Prominent conservative and Republican media personalities are intentionally spreading this "everything is fake" nonsense with the goal of brainwashing their followers (like Snake and WFW) into dismissing any credible evidence if it doesn't come from some far-right nut like Breitbart or Limbaugh.  

Do you contend Democrats are any different in kind?  I mean, the lists we've seen include sites like Breitbart as a "fake news" site.

Not a site that has been known to republish fake news, or say things that are wrong (because as we've discussed before, CNN is guilty of those things too), but a "fake news site."

I definitely think Breitbart doesn't belong in the same category as CNN as far as trustworthiness.  But they aren't the Onion with a thinner veneer either.

Every single bit of this is partisan.  Both the push to label everything conservative as "fake" and the push to label everything in general as "fake."

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Do you contend Democrats are any different in kind?  I mean, the lists we've seen include sites like Breitbart as a "fake news" site.

Not a site that has been known to republish fake news, or say things that are wrong (because as we've discussed before, CNN is guilty of those things too), but a "fake news site."

I definitely think Breitbart doesn't belong in the same category as CNN as far as trustworthiness.  But they aren't the Onion with a thinner veneer either.

Every single bit of this is partisan.  Both the push to label everything conservative as "fake" and the push to label everything in general as "fake."

In kind?  No, there are left wing sources that want to do something very similar.  But in the scope and magnitude of it, there is a huge difference in the two sides.  

Look on these boards, which I acknowledge isn't a representation of the overall population, but does represent some of the extremes from both sides.  You don't see the hard-left people posting dozens of fake news stories and dismissing things that come from Fox News as "fake".  And the few times that people on the left have posted actually fake news and it was pointed out to them, they acknowledged that it was false/fake and moved on.  They didn't defend it.

Another example - Sobeit rejected outright an article from NBC and responded with his "credible" source...a story produced by Iranian government television.  You don't see the equivalent of that kind of stuff on the left as frequently as you do on the right.

We might see that becoming more prominent in the future as the fake news sites try to play on anger at Trump.  But at the moment, there's not a widespread, concerted effort by prominent liberal media figures to promote a mentality where credible evidence is dismissed as "fake" while actually fake stories are accepted as true.