North Carolina GOP undermining the elections...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, kicker said:

I'd be curious to know @holymoses opinion on stripping the governor of a little bit of power and putting in the legislature's hands.  

That is cute kicker.  I guess the little is all about perspective 

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/north-carolina-gop-seeks-reduce-governors-powers-44232197

HB2 may be repealed today... that would be nice

8 hours ago, lostone said:

That is cute kicker.  I guess the little is all about perspective 

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/north-carolina-gop-seeks-reduce-governors-powers-44232197

HB2 may be repealed today... that would be nice

It wasn't supposed to be cute.  I'm serious.  What is wrong with adding checks and balances to a position that gets regularly abused?

Just now, kicker said:

It wasn't supposed to be cute.  I'm serious.  What is wrong with adding checks and balances to a position that gets regularly abused?

Great move at the end of the term. BTW, NC has an already weak governor position and it got weaker.  The speaker of the senate has the power in NC.

11 minutes ago, kicker said:

The GOPers in the legislature have already said they'll restore those powers in four years if a Republican is elected.

Obvious political power grab is obvious.

26 minutes ago, kicker said:

They had four years to do this but they waited until McCrory finally threw in the towel to do it. They also aren't check and balances as much as stripping the governor's office of power and shifting it to the legislature where the GOP is still in power. There is also the issue that they said they'd restore these powers to the governor's office if they beat Cooper in four years.

All in all, it's blatant that this was a ***** move from sniveling losers.

2 hours ago, holymoses said:

Do you think my wife's situation had anything to do with statutory checks, or lack there of, on the Governor's powers?

Not sure about the "statutory" part, but allowing a governor to cut programs (or cut the funding) without the approval of the legislature is a bad idea.  That also includes appointing people without approval.  

9 minutes ago, kicker said:

I don't disagree.  I still like the idea of adding a bit of safeguards over people in public office.  

On the surface of things I would too, but not when it's the same folks awarding unto themselves those very safeguards (and doing it for nakedly partisan reasons) 

At the end of the day the people of NC elected Cooper (albeit by the slimest of margins) while still going Trump, largely due to the incompetence of their local state government who now wants to keep as much power from the sphere of that old administration as they can.

5 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

And this has started another round of boycotts and companies threatening to leave. North Carolina was showing signs of becoming a regional economic force but the GOP there has done a good job of smothering that baby in the crib.

Though I'd be lying if this didn't fill me with some glee. North Carolina's decline feeds into Georgia's rise.

On 12/16/2016 at 5:33 PM, atl falcon 89 said:

I mentioned this in the other thread but when the Republicans finally put a lock on the Georgia  goveners seat after Roy Barns was defeated they were still left with a Democrat Lt gov and they essentially voted to strip the office of all but symbolic power then restored some of those powers when they got a Republican in that seat down the road

Why is this tolerated? Why do we allow the GOP to dress down democracy only when it suits their own needs and no one ever seems to care?

On 12/18/2016 at 10:05 AM, WhenFalconsWin said:

Trump appealing more to middlel/blue/wall/southern and not just "educated" coastal elites.  Democrats have to get back all of us crowd instead of people they already have in their back pocket.  

So there are three million more educated coastal elites in this country than middle/blue/southern people in this country.  Good to know.  

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

Why is this tolerated? Why do we allow the GOP to dress down democracy only when it suits their own needs and no one ever seems to care?

Remember a few years ago when I pointed to a concerning authoritarian streak within the GOP where they view elections as legitimate only when they win them and as illegitimate things to be ignored when they lose them?  Remember when people called me a partisan hack for saying that?

Yeah...

13 hours ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

And this has started another round of boycotts and companies threatening to leave. North Carolina was showing signs of becoming a regional economic force but the GOP there has done a good job of smothering that baby in the crib.

Though I'd be lying if this didn't fill me with some glee. North Carolina's decline feeds into Georgia's rise.

Here's the truly perverse part of this...with the governor's powers stripped away and that law still on the books, the Republicans are going to try to blame the Democratic governor for the loss of jobs and business their legislation caused.

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Here's the truly perverse part of this...with the governor's powers stripped away and that law still on the books, the Republicans are going to try to blame the Democratic governor for the loss of jobs and business their legislation caused.

You say that like they haven't already been doing that.

32 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

You say that like they haven't already been doing that.

Yea Starve the beast and obstruction is an old GOP tactic. They make sure government doesn't work at all then blame the other guys for it not working. Conservative voters fall for it every time

Edited by MAD597
2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Yea Starve the beast and obstruction is an old GOP tactic. They make sure government doesn't work at all then blame the other guys for it not working. Conservative voters fall for it every time

Isn't the entire ideology of Conservatives based on preventing government intrusion? So if they obstruct them from doing their jobs, it's mission accomplished!

You act like the people can't function without a government babysitter.