Jump to content

North Carolina GOP undermining the elections...


Recommended Posts

This has been discussed in a few other threads, but thought it deserves its own thread.

Basically, the GOP in NC lost the governor's race.  In response, they held a special "emergency session" before the Dem Governor takes office to strip him of a lot of his powers.

Here's some background:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/us/politics/north-carolina-governor-roy-cooper-republicans.html?_r=0

This is after the GOP played shenanigans with elections boards and early voting hours/locations.

So basically, the GOP in NC's attitude is that elections are only legitimate when Republicans win them.  When Democrats win, the elections are illegitimate and Republicans will manipulate the laws to prevent the Democrats from governing.  

I'm not sure how else to say it, but that's a disturbingly authoritarian mentality.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, lostone said:

I want to see to see some people justify this crap.  My state is pitiful right now.  This is sad on so many levels.

I mean, how can it be justified?

"We lost so we're not going to let the winner govern.  And in four years, if we win again, we're going to restore all of these powers."

Seriously, I don't know any word for it other than authoritarian.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

I agree it sucks when one party interferes with the primaries of another in an effort to disrupt the democratic process

:lol:

Having said that, there are a lot of concerns about this.  To the extent the legislature has the power to essentially neuter the governor financially, I would hope McCrory would have the stones to veto such changes.  I like the idea of bipartisan election boards in theory, but the problem is NC is just the state to turn them into hopeless gridlock and infighting.  Reducing staff and stuff like that is just petty and small.

And that's not to mention -- it's politically stupid.  Voters will punish such actions.  It's a good way to ensure the new Democrat governor gets himself a Democrat legislature sooner rather than later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

:lol:

Having said that, there are a lot of concerns about this.  To the extent the legislature has the power to essentially neuter the governor financially, I would hope McCrory would have the stones to veto such changes.  I like the idea of bipartisan election boards in theory, but the problem is NC is just the state to turn them into hopeless gridlock and infighting.  Reducing staff and stuff like that is just petty and small.

And that's not to mention -- it's politically stupid.  Voters will punish such actions.  It's a good way to ensure the new Democrat governor gets himself a Democrat legislature sooner rather than later.

McCrory already signed the laws.  

And yeah, it's incredibly politically stupid.  A federal judge threw out their election map and ordered new legislative elections...next year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

McCrory already signed the laws.  

And yeah, it's incredibly politically stupid.  A federal judge threw out their election map and ordered new legislative elections...next year.  

Good Lord.  Talk about someone who deserved to lose.  That dude is something.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned this in the other thread but when the Republicans finally put a lock on the Georgia  goveners seat after Roy Barns was defeated they were still left with a Democrat Lt gov and they essentially voted to strip the office of all but symbolic power then restored some of those powers when they got a Republican in that seat down the road

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WORilla said:

So is this the new thing? 

No matter what ****astic things happen, we're going to focus on hillary instead? 

Well as I said the best movie monsters never quite die do they? :lol: 

Trump might get further with his followers blaming Hillary for the negatives of his administration  than blaming the previous  administration as is more customary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, atl falcon 89 said:

Well as I said the best movie monsters never quite die do they? :lol: 

Trump might get further with his followers blaming Hillary for the negatives of his administration  than blaming the previous  administration as is more customary.

It's worked for Obama (blaming Bush) for most of his administration.  That is just a fact.  I don't want Trump blaming anyone or I'll be the first one to jump on him for it...he's better than that.   People who blame another person are people that have no ideas of their own on how to get out of a situation.  Obama now says Russia will pay for it's cyber attacks on the US, I guess like Syria paid for crossing his red line? 

We need real leaders, not feckless ones.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lostone said:

I want to see to see some people justify this crap.  My state is pitiful right now.  This is sad on so many levels.

Good news is that they didn't pack the Supreme Court, so you still got a left leaning supreme court that could throw this powergrab out as unconstitutional. Also Rick Hasen from electionlawblog mentioned the possibility of this violating the VRA. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

THis **** is just like every other conversation we've had on race, economics, price of college. 

All you do is stick your fingers in your ears and say LA LA LA LA for some unknown reason like if you even contemplate the argument being thrown at you, Ronald Reagan will *** **** you in your sleep. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WORilla said:

THis **** is just like every other conversation we've had on race, economics, price of college. 

All you do is stick your fingers in your ears and say LA LA LA LA for some unknown reason like if you even contemplate the argument being thrown at you, Ronald Reagan will *** **** you in your sleep. 

I know to them all that matters is the D or R beside the name.  There would be a dang near revolt if Ds tried to pull this ish in their state.  

To be fair the removal of governor employees from their direct control of hires happened when dems had the government back in the late 90s (thanks bias NPR).  They are going too far with taking certain offices out of their control.  We are a state that the leader of the senate has the power, not the governor, if there is a super majority.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, lostone said:

Yeah, this ish isn't funny.  You of all people should think this is awful 

Well considering how the left is behaving this election it is kind of disingenuous to expect empathy. They threaten electors, they launch recounts, they attack it in the media. We have a president attacking the election and not providing proof. All this and the new president has not been sworn in yet. This is the new conservative party. Until you learn to play by the same rules you want to hold the rest of us to kick rocks you do not get my empathy or compassion.

 

Edited by Sobeit
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sobeit said:

Well considering how the left is behaving this election it is kind of disingenuous to expect empathy. They threaten electors, they launch recounts, they attack it in the media. We have a president attacking the election and not providing proof. All this and the new president has not been sworn in yet. This is the new conservative party. Until you learn to play by the same rules you want to hold the rest of us to kick rocks you do not get my empathy or compassion.

 

lostone is hardly "the left."

Keep that in mind when responding to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JDaveG said:

:lol:

Having said that, there are a lot of concerns about this.  To the extent the legislature has the power to essentially neuter the governor financially, I would hope McCrory would have the stones to veto such changes.  I like the idea of bipartisan election boards in theory, but the problem is NC is just the state to turn them into hopeless gridlock and infighting.  Reducing staff and stuff like that is just petty and small.

And that's not to mention -- it's politically stupid.  Voters will punish such actions.  It's a good way to ensure the new Democrat governor gets himself a Democrat legislature sooner rather than later.

funny how the Dems in here ignored that, huh?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...