Shanahan basically said 'Bring on the Head Coach Interviews'

It's a pointless debate, Hash, and I keep injecting myself it it so it's my own fault lol.

This thread has turned into a toxic wasteland!  Time will tell if KS stays or goes, none of us really know, but I just cannot believe how some here act like they know what's best for Kyle Shanahan, his career, his situation, his leadership, how ready he is, what franchises think, etc.  It's hilarious to me and then when you ask them to give specifics they never respond.

We all want Kyle to stay, but there are personal opinions here being pushed as fact or reasoning Kyle is using and it's flat out false.  We have a bunch of Ledbetters on this board reporting BS and it's so tiring.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

Maybe, but it's hardly a given.

There's a series of assumptions about Shanahan leaving this off season, none of which are necessarily true.

1, KS is the hottest HC candidate, not really, there's a half a dozen candidates that could be considered front runners over Shanahan

2. That he will interview. He may not a get a chance with a deep playoff run, he may say no to the interview-he'd hardly be the first to say no.

3, That he will be offered a job. He may interview poorly or he may make demands that the team won't meet.

4. That he'll take the job. Yeah, if he's offered a job, he'll probably take it, but, still, he wouldn't be the first to turn down a job. Smith was the 3rd or 4th option for the falcons when he was hired. The others turned down the interviews.

1st two  points are where Shanahan could lose out. A deep playoff run would mean fewer interview opportunities and he may not be in as much demand as the board thinks.

All I'm saying is it's just not 100% he's gone after this year- may be closer to 60-40 than 100-0. Even if it's 80-90%, still leaves 10-20% chance he stays.

For all of those thinking, "Yeah, but he's the best person for the job", how often have teams made the absolute wrong choice for a coaching hire?

Good points, and I agree it's not a certainty he will leave this year, although I would not blame him if he did...I just took exception to the "he's 2-3 years away comment".....he and McDaniels are probably the top 2 candidates that will be out there, very similar guys  to Adam Gase and the success he's having in Miami ...we all know this is a copycat league

besides Rams and Jax, buffalo and Cindy will most likely have HC opportunities...as could San Fran .....what would be most  intriguing would be Indy and San Diego jobs if they come open like I believe they may, which are similar situations to where Atlanta was 2 years ago...

Edited by Vandy
3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Why do you guys think they have no QB? 

Look at all the past qbs taken early.....they all show something. Not a finished product for sure, but they show great accuracy, or running  ability, or qb smarts, or something....in 4 games, I see nothing. He may become better than matt ryan, but at 4 games in, Matt ryan was miles ahead of what he has shown. 

We shall see. But if I was looking at  coaching jobs, goff would be the last guy that I would put my new job on the line with.....shanny is an offensive guy who likes to use the qb as the pivotal point of his attack. I would take the jags job with bortles before goff. Bortles has shown a little something.

16 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

Look at all the past qbs taken early.....they all show something. Not a finished product for sure, but they show great accuracy, or running  ability, or qb smarts, or something....in 4 games, I see nothing. He may become better than matt ryan, but at 4 games in, Matt ryan was miles ahead of what he has shown. 

We shall see. But if I was looking at  coaching jobs, goff would be the last guy that I would put my new job on the line with.....shanny is an offensive guy who likes to use the qb as the pivotal point of his attack. I would take the jags job with bortles before goff. Bortles has shown a little something.

5 NFL games man, 5 games behind the worst OL in NFL as well as a very weak WR corp...and a coaching staff that lacked vision.

people here forget how well TD/Smitty had Matt Ryan set up to succeed offensively....it was a perfect job by both of them for a rookie QB.......yes, he had to do it, but still he had a very different situation in ATL  than Goff has in LA...again, thanks to TD and Smitty and the personnel they brought in

FYI Bortles was god awful as a rookie, and he's regressed to maybe even being ruined now 3 years later. Goff knows he's a rookie and has a lot to learn, Bortles with some limited success over 4 years has more to unlearn and may fight it.  

Edited by Vandy
15 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Good points, and I agree it's not a certainty he will leave this year, although I would not blame him if he did...I just took exception to the "he's 2-3 years away comment".....he and McDaniels are probably the top 2 candidates that will be out there, very similar guys  to Adam Gase and the success he's having in Miami ...we all know this is a copycat league

besides Rams and Jax, buffalo and Cindy will most likely have HC opportunities...as could San Fran .....what would be most  intriguing would be Indy and San Diego jobs if they come open like I believe they may, which are similar situations to where Atlanta was 2 years ago...

Would certainly understand if Shanahan left myself,  And, agree that he's not 2-3 years away. If he stays and the falcons have another great offensive year next year, be really hard to keep him then.

34 minutes ago, Vandy said:

5 NFL games man, 5 games behind the worst OL in NFL as well as a very weak WR corp...and a coaching staff that lacked vision.

people here forget how well TD/Smitty had Matt Ryan set up to succeed offensively....it was a perfect job by both of them for a rookie QB.......yes, he had to do it, but still he had a very different situation in ATL  than Goff has in LA...again, thanks to TD and Smitty and the personnel they brought in

FYI Bortles was god awful as a rookie, and he's regressed to maybe even being ruined now 3 years later. Goff knows he's a rookie and has a lot to learn, Bortles with some limited success over 4 years has more to unlearn and may fight it.  

No he wasnt god awful, i saw him play several times his rookie year. He wasnt great, he made good throws and ran well and was tough as nails in there. The team is obviously not playing well this year. But you obviously didn't see him play as a rook. I lived in Jax at the time.

Matt ryan as set up for success?

No he played his azz off behind a bad oline.....matt ryan took an absolute beating that year. Sapp and those guys tried their best to break ryan.....he toughed it out.

He didnt have tony g, he only had roddy... . No different than whats with the rams. We had turner they have Gurley. 

Even as a rook.....you gotta show something. He sat for 9 games and played like crap when he came in. You can pin your hopes on a guy who has shown nothing..... i just wouldn't do it.

2 hours ago, trubirdfan4life said:

No he wasnt god awful, i saw him play several times his rookie year. He wasnt great, he made good throws and ran well and was tough as nails in there. The team is obviously not playing well this year. But you obviously didn't see him play as a rook. I lived in Jax at the time.

Matt ryan as set up for success?

No he played his azz off behind a bad oline.....matt ryan took an absolute beating that year. Sapp and those guys tried their best to break ryan.....he toughed it out.

He didnt have tony g, he only had roddy... . No different than whats with the rams. We had turner they have Gurley. 

Even as a rook.....you gotta show something. He sat for 9 games and played like crap when he came in. You can pin your hopes on a guy who has shown nothing..... i just wouldn't do it.

Huh? Just because you lived there doesn't mean you 'saw' something I didn't ....because if you REALLY watched the games you would know most of Bortles stats were during junk time after games already decided....so yes , overall Bortles  was god awful, as are most rookie QBs learning on the job....like Goff is now.

As yes, MR most certainly was set up for success. Our OL was hardly a bad OL, who do you think you are kidding?...Rams  OL is 10X worse. Plus Turner....plus Roddy.....plus a good head coach.

As a falcon fan, I could care less about QB situations in LA or Jax....i just know what I've seen, and if I was a young coach, I would be more interested in LA situation with Goff + Gurley plus potentially great D than I would in Jax with a clearly broken Bortles...

Edited by Vandy
13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Just because you lived there doesn't mean you 'saw' something I haven't.....because Overall Bortles was god awful, as are most rookie QBs learning on the job....

As yes, MR most certainly was set up for success. Our OL was hardly a bad OL, who do you think you are kidding?...Rams  OL is 10X worse. Plus Turner....plus Roddy.....plus a good head coach.

As a falcon fan, I could care less about QB situations in LA or Jax....i just know what I've seen, and if I was a young coach, I would be more interested in LA situation with Goff than I would in Jax with a clearly broken Bortles...

Obviously it does mean something. Jax had a bad football team with zero offensive weapons and the guy threw for nearly 60 % completions. Lots of sacks. What you saw? Who knows.  

We obviously look at different football if you think that oline was 10 times better. The only guy on that line who would start for LA was mud duck. Thats it. That line was horrible and we had been trying to upgrade the line since 2008. We finally started getting it right with the draft of Matthews. 

Bortles is struggling but far from broken as a 24 year old. By your logic, matt ryan was broken last season too, because it was clearly the worst season of his career.

33 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

Obviously it does mean something. Jax had a bad football team with zero offensive weapons and the guy threw for nearly 60 % completions. Lots of sacks. What you saw? Who knows.  

We obviously look at different football if you think that oline was 10 times better. The only guy on that line who would start for LA was mud duck. Thats it. That line was horrible and we had been trying to upgrade the line since 2008. We finally started getting it right with the draft of Matthews. 

Bortles is struggling but far from broken as a 24 year old. By your logic, matt ryan was broken last season too, because it was clearly the worst season of his career.

What did I see? A rookie QB who locked in on his receivers and threw a lot of Ints, who got confused by defensive changes at line of scrimmage, got happy feet.....not a diss on him, i saw some good too, but it was a typical rookie year for a rookie QB...which is why you can't judge any rookie such as Goff by the growing pains of his rookie year....

that OL of Falcons was indeed 10x better than this one of LA's.....did you not watch the game Sunday? Did you watch any games in 2008? I can even make a pretty strong argument our 2008 OL was better than this current Atlanta one is.....

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/12/26/sports/football/26falcons.html

matt knew something was broken last year, and to his credit he went and did something about it. We'll see if Bortles has that same kind of fortitude to do the same. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theringer.com/amp/p/fa10c698f1ef?client=safari

Edited by Vandy
2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

What did I see? A rookie QB who locked in on his receivers and threw a lot of Ints, who got confused by defensive changes at line of scrimmage, got happy feet.....not a diss on him, i saw some good too, but it was a typical rookie year for a rookie QB...which is why you can't judge any rookie such as Goff by the growing pains of his rookie year....

that OL of Falcons was indeed 10x better than this one of LA's.....did you not watch the game Sunday? Did you watch any games in 2008? I can even make a pretty strong argument our 2008 OL was better than this one is.....

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/12/26/sports/football/26falcons.html

Wha is the good you see in goff? I havent seen any redeeming qualities. Lots of bad. In college it took him 3 years for the team to win..... i guess thats what its gonna take in the pros too

29 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

Wha is the good you see in goff? I havent seen any redeeming qualities. Lots of bad. In college it took him 3 years for the team to win..... i guess thats what its gonna take in the pros too

What did I see good in Goff last Sunday? 

Toughness ....some mobility....good arm strength ....he threw some accurate passes that were dropped...threw a beautiful TD to a WR that was called back...did you not see that, or just looking at stats?

You excused away Bortles rookie season due to "playing on a bad team with no weapons" yet you already conclude Goff is nothing with even less weapons to work with? 

his biggest problem in NFL is unlearning the spread offense 

As far as it taking 3 years to win at Cal, you do realize that program was in disarray at 1-11 when he got there? And if it does take him 3 years or even longer In NFL that will still be faster than Jax-Bortles, who are currently going azz backwards.:huh:

Edited by Vandy
19 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Toughness ....some mobility....good arm strength ....he threw some accurate passes that were dropped...threw a beautiful TD to a WR that was called back...did you not see that, or just looking at stats?

As far as it taking 3 years to win at Cal, you do realize that program was in disarray at 1-11 when he got there? And if it does take him 3 years or even longer In NFL that will still be faster than Jax-Bortles, who are currently going azz backwards.:huh:

Every qb coming into the league ran the spread. There are very few pro style programs in college or high school. This year has been a rough one for bortles, last year he was Ballin.  That team has quit on the coach. Even the defense went backwards this year with the draft chpices and free agents. You can blame bortles all you like, fact is...he has show the ability in this league. 

You are grasping to find positives with goff, he better tough because he is slow with his reads. 

But hey, enjoy the game bruh, its showtime 

24 minutes ago, Vandy said:

No more disarray that jax when bortles got there, no more than the falcons when ryan got here

2 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

No more disarray that jax when bortles got there, no more than the falcons when ryan got here

Both Rams and Jax ( in Bortles now in year 3) are in disarray much like Falcons were year before Ryan got here. To Smitty/TD/Ryan et al credit, they righted that ship. Bortles meanwhile is throwing pick 6's not seen in NFL since matt Schaub's bad old days.

jax is 10-35 during Bortles tenure there. His career QB rating is 79. You wonder what I see in rookie Goff, I wonder what you think you see in 3 year vet Bortles. 

16 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

Every qb coming into the league ran the spread. There are very few pro style programs in college or high school. This year has been a rough one for bortles, last year he was Ballin.  That team has quit on the coach. Even the defense went backwards this year with the draft chpices and free agents. You can blame bortles all you like, fact is...he has show the ability in this league. 

You are grasping to find positives with goff, he better tough because he is slow with his reads. 

But hey, enjoy the game bruh, its showtime 

QB is supposed  to be leader of team. If team has quit on their coach...which I agree they have...what does that say about their QB?

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Both Rams and Jax ( in Bortles now in year 3) are in disarray much like Falcons were year before Ryan got here. To Smitty/TD/Ryan et al credit, they righted that ship. Bortles meanwhile is throwing pick 6's not seen in NFL since matt Schaub's bad old days.

jax is 10-35 during Bortles tenure there. His career QB rating is 79. You wonder what I see in rookie Goff, I wonder what you think you see in 3 year vet Bortles. 

I see bortles strugglin.. .like his entire team. Like i said, the team quit on the coach.  That team is a .500 team, but they aren't playing for bradley. He is done.

8 hours ago, athell said:

Not aggressive at all...just call BS when I see it and the level of BS here sometimes is just amazing.

Ohhhh I see......As an OC he has coached on teams that went  8-8, 9-7, 6-10, 5-11, 10-6, 3-13, 10-5-1, 8-8 in ATL...if that's incorrect..it came from Wiki. So out of 8 seasons he has had 3 winning seasons. Strictly as a manager....you evaluate personnel...any personnel on their consistency along with other things. But consistency is very important. The basis for my comment was ...in my personal and professional opinion....he needs to demonstrate that consistency. If he puts 3 years of success together and he has this year...then yes...I think he deserves his shot. So you call this BS but it is based on the type of logic that dictates almost all businesses. And I have no problem with someone disagreeing....not at all.....but there is absolutely no reason to be aggressive. This was not or should not be a personal issue. Now I understand there is more to wins and losses than just the offense......but I believe Kyle and Matt have discussed many game plans and Kyle has listened to some degree...where as I'm not so sure that happened too much last  year. Many on this board have expressed the same sentiment. 

6 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

LOL, dude, this is a scary opinion to me.  WTF??  In a world where men are being chastised for being men and the progressive nonsense is so rampant that they try to brainwash our young people that men and women are the same... it's out of control.  I guess you have bought into the whole docile, don't speak your opinion or be loud or vigorously defend your beliefs type of thing.  I am in disbelief of what I just read above!  God made men to be men!  He made women to be women.  It has nothing to do with their ability to succeed or be independent.  The family is breaking down and there is an attack on the institution of marriage etc etc etc.  My gosh, we now have a push from sick, secular, crazies who want to open our public restrooms to confused people.  Oh my, how do we label our restrooms now LOL.  If I ever saw a man enter a restroom where my girls were present.  I know, as a man who understands who I am, what I would have to do.  And I could do it without harming anyone. And here you are telling someone on a message board that he needs to be put on meds for speaking something that you consider aggressive.  Simply my personal opinion here.

I just don't get why some people get soooo personal when someone makes a simple statement that they do not thisnk he's ready for another 2-3 years. Defend his comment all you want....but why so personal. I didn't say anything that should have caused such a response. And the man thing.....I've been through more crap than moist people should have to go through and always picked myself up and dusted myself off. Trust me...you cannot judge whether I'm a man or nor just because of my comment of trying to imply there is no reason to be aggressive when making a point. Just simply state...I disagree and here's why. That is way to respond. And that's just my opinion. And I \know it's very hard to read intent in type....but I'm being very sincere here. 

1 minute ago, Wardog357 said:

I just don't get why some people get soooo personal when someone makes a simple statement that they do not thisnk he's ready for another 2-3 years. Defend his comment all you want....but why so personal. I didn't say anything that should have caused such a response. And the man thing.....I've been through more crap than moist people should have to go through and always picked myself up and dusted myself off. Trust me...you cannot judge whether I'm a man or nor just because of my comment of trying to imply there is no reason to be aggressive when making a point. Just simply state...I disagree and here's why. That is way to respond. And that's just my opinion. And I \know it's very hard to read intent in type....but I'm being very sincere here. 

No prob, but c'mon about the meds.  Jump back on his case and let it roll.  We all get over reactive here.  But then I remind myself it's a board.