Shanahan basically said 'Bring on the Head Coach Interviews'

oxygencube

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, athell said:

I think he meant, there is still McDaniels for the Rams HC spot, not to be our OC...but I could be wrong.

McDaniels is another one that will be a head coach next season, he's probably not looking for a lateral move at this point in his career.

Oh, gotcha. My bad if that's the case.

32 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

No.  Matt Ryan doesn't need a 4th system.  And this one plays to every one of his strengths.

There are a ton of good WCO coordinator options out there.  No reason to change the system now that it's paying dividends.

I meant as a HC candidate.

Just don't think it's automatic that Shanahan is gone.

Might have missed something, but don't think the broadcasters and commentators saying he's a top candidate are doing anything except speculating because he's having a good year. As good a year as he's having, GMs may be thinking-it's only one year with a bunch of talent, lets see him do it for another year.

No salary cap for coaches, Blank can give him more money and take that out of the equation.

This is a perfect situation for an OC- great talent, HC that stays out of his business, stable FO. He's 36, he can stay here build his resume, get a HC job later. There are only 32 jobs, but 3-5 open up every year.

Shanahan has worked for two dysfunctional franchises, he may not want to jump into that again.

He may think that the Falcons are close to a super bowl win and that being a super bowl winning OC gives him more leverage in getting what he wants as a HC.

There are other examples of coordinators not taking HC job or not interviewing for HC positions.

People are acting as if Shanahan is just gone after this season, he may be, but it's certainly not 100% so.

57 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Just don't think it's automatic that Shanahan is gone.

Might have missed something, but don't think the broadcasters and commentators saying he's a top candidate are doing anything except speculating because he's having a good year. As good a year as he's having, GMs may be thinking-it's only one year with a bunch of talent, lets see him do it for another year.

No salary cap for coaches, Blank can give him more money and take that out of the equation.

This is a perfect situation for an OC- great talent, HC that stays out of his business, stable FO. He's 36, he can stay here build his resume, get a HC job later. There are only 32 jobs, but 3-5 open up every year.

Shanahan has worked for two dysfunctional franchises, he may not want to jump into that again.

He may think that the Falcons are close to a super bowl win and that being a super bowl winning OC gives him more leverage in getting what he wants as a HC.

There are other examples of coordinators not taking HC job or not interviewing for HC positions.

People are acting as if Shanahan is just gone after this season, he may be, but it's certainly not 100% so.

Agreed, but all you are doing is speculating as well so what makes your speculation more relevant than people paid to talk about the NFL and it's players?  Not to mention, it's not a 100% certainty he stays.  In fact, I would say that the probability that he stays are less than the probability that he goes, but that would also be speculation.

Question...through all this speculation, and the KS as HC speculation is gaining momentum, has he ever expressed interest in staying as a OC?  I know he has stated his desire to be HC, but has he ever said anything along the lines of "I'm good where I'm at, I'm not looking to become a HC at this time"?

3 minutes ago, athell said:

Agreed, but all you are doing is speculating as well so what makes your speculation more relevant than people paid to talk about the NFL and it's players?  Not to mention, it's not a 100% certainty he stays.  In fact, I would say that the probability that he stays are less than the probability that he goes, but that would also be speculation.

Question...through all this speculation, and the KS as HC speculation is gaining momentum, has he ever expressed interest in staying as a OC?  I know he has stated his desire to be HC, but has he ever said anything along the lines of "I'm good where I'm at, I'm not looking to become a HC at this time"?

No, lots of facts in my post-he is in the perfect OC position, he has worked for dysfunctional franchises, other coordinators have turned down jobs and interviews, Blank can pay him more money. It's also a fact that the broadcasters and commentators are speculating.

What those facts tell me is that it just isn't 100% that he's gone after the season. Which is all I'm saying.

NFL.com had an article, based on conversations with the decision makers of various teams, that showed Shanahan way down the list of HC candidates. Had McDaniels as the top candidate.

Just now, falconidae said:

No, lots of facts in my post-he is in the perfect OC position, he has worked for dysfunctional franchises, other coordinators have turned down jobs and interviews, Blank can pay him more money. It's also a fact that the broadcasters and commentators are speculating.

What those facts tell me is that it just isn't 100% that he's gone after the season. Which is all I'm saying.

NFL.com had an article, based on conversations with the decision makers of various teams, that showed Shanahan way down the list of HC candidates. Had McDaniels as the top candidate.

There was plenty of speculation in your post as well though..." GMs may be thinking-it's only one year " , " Blank can give him more money" , " get a HC job later" , " he may not want to jump into that again", " He may think".

You are correct though, he isn't 100% gone, but some posters here seem to be almost assured (based on their own speculation) that he stays.  It may be a huge letdown for these posters if he doesn't.

Also I wouldn't take anything seriously about what "decision makers of various teams are saying".  Make no mistake, the NFL is a business, and teams will say whatever they have to to increase their chances of getting what they want.  I have no doubt McDaniels is a top candidate, however, I also have no doubt that Shanny is turning heads.  Matt Ryan has even gone record as of recent endorsing him as such.

The Shanahan HC train is gaining momentum whether we like it or not...

According to Bookmaker.eu, here is the official list of odds for the favorites to take over the Los Angeles job

Josh McDaniels +250
Kyle Shanahan +250
David Shaw +650
Jim Bob Cooter +850
Todd Haley +750
Jim Harbaugh +4000
Jon Gruden +1000
FIELD +175

Just now, xiv_T_E_C_O_ said:

I heard D. led on the radio say that when M. Smith was first hired he asked his coordinators to give him 4 years, and this could very well be the case with DQ. Makes sense, how do you reel in a guy like Mack without assuring him some stability.

By saying, "Hey Alex, we are giving you the chance to get out of Cleveland!  Also, here's millions of dollars to go with it!"?

6 minutes ago, athell said:

There was plenty of speculation in your post as well though..." GMs may be thinking-it's only one year " , " Blank can give him more money" , " get a HC job later" , " he may not want to jump into that again", " He may think".

You are correct though, he isn't 100% gone, but some posters here seem to be almost assured (based on their own speculation) that he stays.  It may be a huge letdown for these posters if he doesn't.

Also I wouldn't take anything seriously about what "decision makers of various teams are saying".  Make no mistake, the NFL is a business, and teams will say whatever they have to to increase their chances of getting what they want.  I have no doubt McDaniels is a top candidate, however, I also have no doubt that Shanny is turning heads.  Matt Ryan has even gone record as of recent endorsing him as such.

The Shanahan HC train is gaining momentum whether we like it or not...

According to Bookmaker.eu, here is the official list of odds for the favorites to take over the Los Angeles job

Josh McDaniels +250
Kyle Shanahan +250
David Shaw +650
Jim Bob Cooter +850
Todd Haley +750
Jim Harbaugh +4000
Jon Gruden +1000
FIELD +175

Didn't say my post was without speculation, and I'm not going to lose it if Shanahan walks, just think there are factors that would keep him her that the "Shanahan's gone" crowd are overlooking.

12 hours ago, trubirdfan4life said:

He isn't ready yet.

Exactly.  He may get offers and even take one, because people are stupid.  But this fanbase knows firsthand that Shanny doesn't have the proper people skills or social etiquette to be a head coach.  He will destroy any team that hires him to be HC within the first two years so badly that he won't be given a third.  He's a Josh McDaniels with the Broncos, a Steve Spurrier with the "Skins; or a Pigtrino with the Falcons...

Some dudes are just meant to be great coordinators but not head coaches, and Shanny is one of them.  A team would have to be loony to hire him as HC with his track record of rubbing players the wrong way...

1 minute ago, Falconcheff said:

Exactly.  He may get offers and even take one, because people are stupid.  But this fanbase knows firsthand that Shanny doesn't have the proper people skills or social etiquette to be a head coach.  He will destroy any team that hires him to be HC within the first two years so badly that he won't be given a third.  He's a Josh McDaniels with the Broncos, a Steve Spurrier with the "Skins; or a Pigtrino with the Falcons...

Some dudes are just meant to be great coordinators but not head coaches, and Shanny is one of them.  A team would have to be loony to hire him as HC with his track record of rubbing players the wrong way...

Wow

4 minutes ago, athell said:

By saying, "Hey Alex, we are giving you the chance to get out of Cleveland!  Also, here's millions of dollars to go with it!"?

Lol, no doubt but I'd like to think there was some sincerity in what Mack said were the reasons he chose Atlanta. Also we're 2 years vested in an offense that no one on staff is qualified to run, few others in the league are as well.

4 minutes ago, xiv_T_E_C_O_ said:

Lol, no doubt but I'd like to think there was some sincerity in what Mack said were the reasons he chose Atlanta. Also we're 2 years vested in an offense that no one on staff is qualified to run, few others in the league are as well.

I hope he stays...funny how that works huh?  Majority of the board wanted him and Matt Ryan gone after the post season and now look at us :)

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

No.  Matt Ryan doesn't need a 4th system.  And this one plays to every one of his strengths.

There are a ton of good WCO coordinator options out there.  No reason to change the system now that it's paying dividends.

If you can find an OC who knows how to put the ball in the endzone inside the 20, then this offense will truly be unstoppable.

12 minutes ago, Falconcheff said:

Wait, what?

Have you actually met him? Who has he rubbed the wrong way? Johnny Football? How's his career going?

7 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Wait, what?

Have you actually met him? Who has he rubbed the wrong way? Johnny Football? How's his career going?

I picture Shanahan walking up to about a third of the people who post here and pulling a "Major League."

"Hey, FFS70 -- how's your wife and my kids?"

5 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Wait, what?

Think those reports from previous stops have been greatly exaggerated and, people mature. Shanahan would hardly be the first person to screw up a job, get fired, learn from his mistakes and do better the next time around.

Except for Roddy, who couldn't accept that it was father time, not Kyle Shanahan that was the problem, don't see any reports of him not getting along with players here. Seems to have a good relationship with his fellow coaches and the FO as well.

I think Shanahan may have a better reputation among his peers than he does with the general public.

4 hours ago, Clark said:

Shanahan is not irreplaceable.  We have the pieces on offense that could honestly make just about anyone successful in that position.  Get another WCO guy in here, or better yet, just promote within, and we would be fine.

Definitely don't want to abandon the WCO at this point, but I'm sure there will be no shortage of quality offensive guys eager to come in and run this Atlanta offense. No doubt this will be the most attractive OC job in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Definitely don't want to abandon the WCO at this point, but I'm sure there will be no shortage of quality offensive guys eager to come in and run this Atlanta offense. No doubt this will be the most attractive OC job in the NFL.

Absolutely agree.  It would be arguably this most coveted job in the league.  With that said, I dont want Matt to have to devote more time to learning a new offense; I want him to continue to master the WCO.

1 hour ago, Falconcheff said:

Not true. A lot of these coaches aren't ready, but that's why they put a team of help around them. I'm sure his dad would help him with that.